Painful memories still linger for Penguins

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/penguins/painful-memories-still-linger-for-penguins-670710/

I figured you guys would enjoy this to savor a bit before the season started. :handclap:

Painful memories still linger for Penguins

And, when the Penguins walk into Wells Fargo Center Saturday in Philadelphia to start a new season, memories -- nearly all of them cruel -- of how the previous one ended figure to wash over them.
They will remember the blown leads in their six-game, first-round loss to the Flyers. The defensive implosions. The porous penalty-killing. The inability to generate (or prevent) goals at critical junctures.
And mostly, they will be reminded what it feels like to have what was supposed to be a serious run at the Stanley Cup aborted in Round 1 by their most bitter rival.

"The Flyers are the Flyers," goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said. "I hate losing to them."
It's scant consolation to the Penguins that they lost entirely on merit. That they earned their seat in front of the television for the final three rounds of the postseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Article is hilarious

also

“And Claude Giroux and the Flyers have their sights set on revenge for last year’s playoff loss to Pitt.”

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I figured you guys would enjoy this to savor a bit before the season started. :handclap:

I'm savoring every quote. Keep 'em coming.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penguins-hoping-little-defense-goes-185921262--nhl.html

Penguins hoping a little defense goes a long way
By WILL GRAVES (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press – 5 hours ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Marc-Andre Fleury didn't even bother to look at the tape.

Video evidence of a 5-1 loss to Philadelphia in Game 6 of last year's Stanley Cup playoffs wasn't required for the Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender to relive every agonizing moment. He spent the early portions of the offseason worrying about it before permanently deleting it from his memory.

''I forgot about the games, but not about what happened,'' Fleury said.

Good idea.

The whipping served as a fitting end to one of the more bizarre postseason series in recent memory. The Flyers cut down the NHL's highest scoring team by turning every period into a defense-optional shootout, one that exploited Pittsburgh's inability to commit itself at the end of the ice where Fleury works.

Philadelphia scored a whopping 30 goals in six games, a number more fitting than the local rec league than the sometimes brutal - not to mention offensive-stifling - two-month slog to the Stanley Cup.

The Penguins know that for all the firepower the game's most explosive lineup provides, if they don't shore things up on defense they'll be home well before the calendar hits June.

''You have to learn from that stuff,'' forward Pascal Dupuis said. ''We'll try to take the positives from (Philadelphia) and try to build off it.''

Given all of a week to put a roster together, don't expect coach Dan Bylsma to make drastic changes on a team that finished a middling 17th in goals allowed last season. On most nights, a lineup that features reigning league MVP Evgeni Malkin and a finally healthy Sidney Crosby doesn't need to play lights out defense to win.
:nod:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Meh. Last year is last year. Drive them into the ground in game 1 and plant the immediate seed of doubt in their head.

Though I'm surprised Fleury even had the balls to open his mouth about last year's series...

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
A couple of stops here and there could have drastically altered their season. They did little to address the defense with personnel during the offseason outside of trading Zbynek Michalek back to Phoenix. Pittsburgh also traded for goaltender Tomas Vokoun to help take some of the burden off Fleury to carry the team through 99-day sprint through the 48-game regular season.

The 36-year-old Vokoun is no stranger to staying busy after spending most of his career with the likes of Nashville and Florida. He watched Fleury and backup Brent Johnson often left to fend for themselves after their teammates were caught out of position trying to make something happen offensively.

''I'm sure there's going to be adjustments after what happened to them last year,'' Vokoun said. ''They know they're going to have to play a little bit differently to be successful later.''

:handclap::laugh:

The choice of words makes it sound like a mythical cataclysm. Watch what ye say, or the demons 'll getcha.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
lmfao. they don't like Schenn because he love tapped Baby Crosby in the back and he flew 10 feet.

The worst thing about this is they "believe" Schenn dove during the Asham crosscheck. Like really? Apparently Schenn's a huge diver...this is news to somebody that watched almost every Flyer game last year.

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
According to the Pens board Scott Laughton might fight James Neal

Are you not surprised?

Might be a mistake to fight a rookie looking to make a name for himself, who will probably be jacked up with adrenaline on his career debut. He probably won't feel pain. With that in mind, good luck Neal, your gonna need it.

Last edited:

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I love the Pens board.

Step 1: Make up things about our board

Step 2: Whine about the made-up things

Step 3: Catch themselves on whining, then convince themselves that they are above everything, and blame any criticism on "jealousy" (actually envy, but what do you expect? And it's not that in reailty, either)

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Take a peak at the Pens board at what their saying ... Lol

What and watch a preschool brawl? I don't take a fan base that isn't 10 years old very seriously. The very few penguin fans that exsisted prior to 2005 aren't that bad. It's the masses that came out of no where that know nothing that annoy me. Just throw a shiney object their way and they will will be quiet for a while. The adults( which I think are severely out numbered, some 25-1lol) won't be phased and will engage in a serious mature discussion about the sport. They do exist. Meanwhile we can just ignore them, let the penguins struggle a few years, they will go away. All the way to Kansas City.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
:(

Words hurt, ya know.

Meh, we all have our red-headed step children. I'd use the ignore list, but some posters (fans of all teams, even the Pens) are just too entertaining to ignore completely. In response to the article, I'd hope they're angry about it and that it still hurts. It wasn't just that they lost to you guys in the playoffs; it was how they lost. They got crushed on the scoreboard, lost their dignity on the ice, and forgot how to play defense.

I'd say good luck, but we all know we'd be kidding each other. Here's to hoping no one gets injured? Yea, I could live with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad