Post-Game Talk: Pain - CHI 6 EDM 4 - CHI leads series 1-0

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I have a hard time thinking the Hawks PP and the Oilers PK have suddenly got that much better and worse. It's one game with the right goalie starting and hopefully a shake up of the lines I think we can be much better in game 2. After the 1st period it was 3-2 Oilers. They lost the game in a 7 minute span kicked off by what was essentially an own goal. Second game in 4 months, these things can happen.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
What do you call this formation? View attachment 356877

swarm.gif

AnchoritePoster

Aug 1, 2020
That's the Oscar Klefbom that I expected to come into these playoffs. What an absolute joke of a player he is. Takes way too long to make every single decision on the ice. Some people call it smoothness, I call it lack of 'URGENCY' -- you know how the media was claiming Bouchard didn't look 'URGENT' enough? Well, you can get by looking 'INURGENT' (is that a word?) by making crisp clean passes regularly to your fowards.

Klefbom can not. He kills offence at a historically impressive rate, and was the biggest reason for I think 4 goals against? Smith being horrid, a McDavid turnover, and a couple tips. Klefbom is a garbage can, and he only gets worse as the pressure gets more intense. He completely folds under forecheck pressure. Look at when we had the goalie pulled too. You see that 'pass' he made into open ice for the Hawks player to freely pick up in the Hawks zone? Mind numbing plays. I wish I was a drinker, because I'd be 12 deep already.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well that might have been our worst game this season. Goalie plays just average after gifting the team the early tying goal. Defensive problems all game. No jump or hitting all game, I could hardly tell it was a playoff game. No adjustments by the coach. No urgency anywhere on the ice.

Hawks in 3, and I suspect the rest of the games will be just as bad. Our only hope is koskinen standing on his head all game.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I also blame Tipp for not juggling lines. We got assf***ed 5v5 and he made no adjustments.

Embarassing.

I agree but we did get better as the game went on. The thing with Tippett is he likes to give his guys a chance to work out of things, it can be frustrating but it's also why guys buy in and believe in him. Every coach makes mistakes but at the end of the day Tippett has always proven himself savvy enough to learn from them.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
-In a short series you always go with your starter in game 1.

-D was awful and as was obvious during the season, just not good enough to compete some nights. The Oilers really don't have any star defencemen that they can consistently lean on.

-Chicago also has a couple of World class players and that was probably overlooked on this site prior to the game. They are rebuilding but they are a strong franchise and that always counts for something. They have been here before.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Tippett had 6 weeks to devise a game plan, and this is what he came up with? Schooled by a coach who has never coached an NHL playoff game. Even if you give him a pass for starting Smith, to leave him in past the third goal was lunacy. Hopefully our stars were paying attention and watched Toews and learned a few things about playoff intensity and playing a complete game. Oh well, onto game two, and we'll find out what kind of character some of our players have.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I have a hard time thinking the Hawks PP and the Oilers PK have suddenly got that much better and worse. It's one game with the right goalie starting and hopefully a shake up of the lines I think we can be much better in game 2. After the 1st period it was 3-2 Oilers. They lost the game in a 7 minute span kicked off by what was essentially an own goal. Second game in 4 months, these things can happen.
Failed to recognize what is well known that Kubalik is a PP god. You cant give that seam continously. The guy has a rocket.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

We got them right where we want 'em.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Smith giving up that goal overplaying that puck was classic smith and I knew from that second we were boned.

the fact that tippet trusts smith so much but still can’t recognize when he’s having a shit game is insane to me. He shoulda been pulled in the first 100%

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
It's the f***ing playoffs, where was Kassian, was Joobjar even playing? Start hitting them!!!!! Show some f***ing intensity, what a pathetic excuse. Whatever happened to winning for Colby?
He's looking down and shaking his head. No more Smith, he's lost it and Tippett is starting to make moves that remind me of Todd. Put the DRY line back together, start Koskinen and punish them!!!!
I bet the Hawks fans are laughing it up right now, thinking they've got this and statistically they do.

AnchoritePoster

Aug 1, 2020
I generally like Tippett, but he kept preaching 'we are worried about our own game. We have no chance unless we get up to speed on our own game...that's where our focus is at'

Yea, I guess they completely forgot to let the players know that Kubalik has a monster one-timer, that Keith is still a #1 defenceman, and that Toews and Kane aren't retired. I feel like Tippett made a gigantic blunder here in focusing on their own team. Makes them seem incredibly ill-prepared (as they looked) for their opponent.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Absolutely embarrassing game to watch. Atrocious.

This series is done in 3/4 if our D cannot do simple things like retrieve puck and exit the zone. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC display today. Basically a hawks PP on almost every zone entry lol.

Zero 5 on 5 play to speak of. Nothing. This looked like a #1 team against a last placed team. CHI could have had 10 goals.

Keith looked like prime Pronger out there.

Terrible decision to start Mike Smith

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think game was pretty close given the absolute no show a lot of our important players were. Notable goat horns include Smith, Klef, Larsson, and Kassian.

Frankly, we need more from literally everyone. That was not good enough.

We're 25 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller on average than the hawks. Play like it.

When you dress a heavy lineup against a speedy team and don't use the size to your advantage, it usually turns out pretty much like what we saw today.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
It's the f***ing playoffs, where was Kassian, was Joobjar even playing? Start hitting them!!!!! Show some f***ing intensity, what a pathetic excuse. Whatever happened to winning for Colby?
He's looking down and shaking his head. No more Smith, he's lost it and Tippett is starting to make moves that remind me of Todd. Put the DRY line back together, start Koskinen and punish them!!!!
I bet the Hawks fans are laughing it up right now, thinking they've got this and statistically they do.
Kassian seems to have again forgot what his role is. He needs to play a hard gritty game and go to the net.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad