Line Combos: Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson: Would those 3 put up points together?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wouldn't move Eriksson down. He's a top 6 forward and I would play him in the top 6. I'm really hoping a rookie comes into camp and plays hard and wins a spot. I honestly would like to see Chris Kelly shipped far away from Boston. I know the coach loves him, but he really held his line back all last season.

yet was part of the only line that had the Hawks on their heels during the finals consistently (cue the all credit to Segs/Paille crowd)

I think we`ll see Kelly rebound in a full year, by rebound, it won`t mean he`ll recreate the 20 goal magic of a few years ago, he`ll go right back to his 12-15 goal/25-40pt season and for my money, decent stuff from a 3rd liner

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Paille is excellent going against lower pairings and lines,he loses his effectiveness if he moves too far up.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
Anyone that thinks Paille should be in the top 6 is nuts and anyone that thinks Eriksson shouldn't be in the top 6 is nuts. Paille had an AMAZING year last year, that being said, he's a bottom 6 player. He can't shoot and has no play making abilities. He's in the league because he can skate quickly, play defense, and seems to always be in the right position.

yet was part of the only line that had the Hawks on their heels during the finals consistently (cue the all credit to Segs/Paille crowd)

I think we`ll see Kelly rebound in a full year, by rebound, it won`t mean he`ll recreate the 20 goal magic of a few years ago, he`ll go right back to his 12-15 goal/25-40pt season and for my money, decent stuff from a 3rd liner

Decent stuff from a 3rd liner but not decent stuff for how much he's paid. He's too overpaid and that's why I want him gone. If he was making 2 mil I'd be fine with him on the 3rd line with that production.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Anyone that thinks Paille should be in the top 6 is nuts and anyone that thinks Eriksson shouldn't be in the top 6 is nuts. Paille had an AMAZING year last year, that being said, he's a bottom 6 player. He can't shoot and has no play making abilities. He's in the league because he can skate quickly, play defense, and seems to always be in the right position.

Decent stuff from a 3rd liner but not decent stuff for how much he's paid. He's too overpaid and that's why I want him gone. If he was making 2 mil I'd be fine with him on the 3rd line with that production.

Respectfully disagree, if he goes, it won`t be because Chiarelli and Co have had it with them, it will be because they believe now is the time for a Spooner to begin his NHL career.

His stats and game were not up to his standards this year, and that 3rd line in general was a mess.

Gone is Pevs, Pandalfo, Bourque and whomever else they plugged in there to try and get them going. Fresh start, and I`ll argue that whomever wins the spots on that 3rd this year, won`t have the same disfunction as last years 3rd line

Is/was he overpaid??? Probably, it`s only the rare few in the NHL who are paid exactly what they are actually worth, and once Kelly played with a competent winger (Paille is what really turned that line around IMO), we could see his game returning to the one we had become familiar with.

Feel more comfy with his cap hit than I would if I were the Rangers with a Brad Richards hit:)

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I'd like to see Soderberg on Bergeron's LW to see how that works. Move Marchand, if not traded, to 3rd line. Would like iginla on Bergeron;s RW with Eriksson playing with Lucic and Krejci.

FallsForItEveryYear

Jun 26, 2007
its an interesting idea. im not against it but i doubt it will happen. i agree with the reasoning though. soderberg kelly knight/caron/fraser/other rookie just seems like the island of misfit toys. the bruins need a rookie to grab the bull by the horns and have a productive season on the wing. whoever it is should determine how the lines shake out.
I really hope the third line can find some scoring

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I'd like to see Soderberg on Bergeron's LW to see how that works. Move Marchand to 3rd line.

I've actually thought about that a little and like where you're going with it --not as a demotion to Marchand, but only if Kelly is moved.

Spooner and Marchand together would create absolute nightmares together for big Dmen; it would be like trying to catch two greased pigs. Soderberg is a very strong board player so that may be a great fit with Bergeron too. 3 scoring lines:

Lucic--Krejci--Iggy
Soderberg--Bergeron--Eriksson
Marchand--Spooner--(camp winner)
Merlot​

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
I've actually thought about that a little and like where you're going with it --not as a demotion to Marchand, but only if Kelly is moved.

Spooner and Marchand together would create absolute nightmares together for big Dmen; it would be like trying to catch two greased pigs. Soderberg is a very strong board player so that may be a great fit with Bergeron too. 3 scoring lines:

Lucic--Krejci--Iggy
Merlot​

Dude I wouldn't separate Marchand from Bergeron. They play very good together.. How are you so positive that Spooner and Marchand is going to create nightmares for opposing D-men. Spooner hasn't really played in the NHL yet.. I hope you're right, you know..

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Request for Stat Mongers: If there's a way to see avg TOI for 5 on 5/even-strength play I'd be interested to see how our 'lines' for previous years stacks up. Just curious.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Yup I agree with most

Lucic - Krejci - Iggy
Marshmont - Bergy - Eriksson
??? - Kelly - Yeti
Paille - Camp - Suger

If lines need juggled during the season I'd look to move Eriksson up to the first and drop Iggy down to the 3rd. Put a Rookie with Marshmont and Bergy.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I'd like to see Soderberg on Bergeron's LW to see how that works. Move Marchand, if not traded, to 3rd line. Would like iginla on Bergeron;s RW with Eriksson playing with Lucic and Krejci.

I think Soderberg needs to start in the bottom 6 and work his way up.In the very limited amount of games he played,he, understandably,wasn't ready for prime time(the top 6).I am willing to wipe the slate clean as far as next year goes and am curious to see how Soderberg will play with a full training camp under his belt.Will he be an impact player?Who really knows? I know I never thought Brad Marchand would be the player he is now when he was toiling away on the 4th line.Maybe Soderberg is our secret weapon.:yo:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I am sorry, I don't want to pay Eriksson 4.5 million to skate on the 3rd line.

I love Paille, and he does some things really well, but he just isn't a great scorer.

I'd much rather see Eriksson skate with Bergy and Marchand, where they become the ultimate shutdown line in the league, and maybe we get to see the 30+ goal version of Eriksson

Ya, end thread

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
In a vacuum, I don't think it's a bad line, but when you look at the rest of the team, I think there are better fits for Eriksson. I really want to see him playing in the top six, at least to start, as I think he is one of your more talented forwards, and should be playing with other guys of equal talent. That's not to say that line wouldn't work, or that it wouldn't be an option if Claude shuffled the lines at some point during the season, but I would be surprised if Eriksson started on the third line.

I don't project Paille to start on that third line, but I wouldn't be surprised if he made his way up there at some point. I didn't think he would be a viable solution to the third line last year, then he proved me wrong. He really had a great season, and showed some more finish than usual. If you go based on hard work and merit, then Paille has a great argument to get some time on that line. The issue is that you then break up the very effective Merlot line, but we'll see.

I would really love to see Spooner centering the third line, especially if he is centering Soderberg, and one of Smith/Fraser/Knight. Those guys are all shooters, and they would benefit from a playmaking center, which Kelly is not. Not to say Kelly can't have a bounce-back season, but even at his best, he was never a playmaker. That would leave Kelly to mix in on the fourth line, maybe spelling Thornton on wing some nights, or filling in at other spots on the roster in case of injuries/ineffectiveness. I'm just not convinced that Claude will go with a third line that is so inexperienced, especially at the center position.

RunFromTheBear

Jun 20, 2010
I rather have Iginla on the third line to give him 1-2 less minutes a night. I have been wanting Fraser to be on the Bergeron line since the trade was made, would be nice to have a shoot first guy on the team.

Horton - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Fraser
Soderberg - Spooner - Iginla
Paille - Kelly - Campbell
Thornton

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
No thanks I'm not taking our new piece and adding him to the third line. I want him with Bergy

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was trying to figure out a way to get the Swedes together too as the Yeti's offense will be killed by playing with Kelly if/when he has another ****-show-season.

I`m betting on Kelly returning to form, wonder if Pevs wasn`t the biggest issue there as I found more plays dies on his stick than ever this year and I have to think that a Knight or one of the Dallas young players would be an upgrade over the Pandalfo`s/Bourque`s or whomever played on that mess of a line this year

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
It doesn't matter what the other line combinations are or what country the guys are from. You don't trade Tyler Seguin and have the centrepiece play the wing on the third line. This has 0 chance of happening. Dog days of summer making people think too much.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Maybe they would, but they won't... No way Loui plays on the third.

It will likely go:

Lucic-Krejci-Iggy/Loui
Marchand-Bergeron-Iggy/Loui
Soderberg-Kelly-Camp Winner (Knight, Fraser, Smith, Spooner probably gets it if he wants to play wing)
Merlot

I don't split Bergy and Marshy up in any way. Soderberg is unproven, although talented, but Marchand and Eriksson are both proven players who can put up 30 goals.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
No way Eriksson sees 3rd line minutes. However the idea of flipping Paille to the 3rd line and Kelly to the 4th line has some merit. Paille adds a lot of skating speed to the 3rd line. Paille-Soderberg-X could be a decent pressure line. If they don't score that much they should still be able to put pressure on the other team with their speed.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
I think we all get caught up in line 1 2 and 3 way too much as Bruins fans as our coach prefers to roll 4 lines with pretty equal icetime.

here is what i was bouncing around in my head the other night:

1a- Lucic Krecji Soberberg
1b- Iginla Spooner Ericksson
1c- Marchand Bergeron Kelly
Merlot

PK- Erickson/ Kelly Marchand/Bergeron Campbell/Paille

I know that this will limit the bergeron line in scoring, but it would also create a lock down line, with good speed that "can" get to the net and pop in a few.

It also gives Spooner a few guys who can finish his creative distribution of the puck, and gives Soderberg a really good shot at succeeding right out of the chute.

Feedback?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Why on earth would you trade one of your top scorers and brightest young star for Eriksson, only to bury Eriksson on the third line with an unproven European player and Paille? I'm not trying to slight Paille here because I love what he brings, but he in no way needs to be playing with a scorer such as Eriksson night in and night out. It would be a complete waste of Eriksson.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Lucic--Krejci--Iggy
Merlot​

I like that a lot.

My only concern is that the 'winner' is going to be Smith and that will make for a very small line. Fraser could bring more size and 'heavy' to the mix which, IMO would be a better fit but I don't think he's ahead of Smith in terms of his development/readiness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad