Line Combos: Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson: Would those 3 put up points together?

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
With the investment they just put into Bergy, I think it's high time they start someone physical riding shotgun with him. He needs protection out there so people don't take as many liberties with him like they did last year. How about something like this:

Soderberg - Krejci - Eriksson
Lucic - Bergeron - Iginla
Marchand - Kelly - Paille
Thornto - Campbell - ?

Paillle- Kelly- Seguin was real good for the few game they were together, I don't see Marchand on the wing as a downgrade.
The Swedes are together and Bergeron has plenty of protection.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Eriksson is playing with Bergy and Marchand. IF not he is playing with Lucic and Krejci. You don't take a first line player and put him on the third line so you spread the offense around. Load up, let the 3rd line figure itself out.

bearit

Mar 8, 2011
I'd really like a dynamite third line again, we haven't really had one since Savard was healthy.

How much offense would there be on this line? I think it would be awesome. I think they'd score like a second line.

Wondering what other people think.

Paille could go off on that line I think he's our secret weapon and can score as much as anyone in our system we need to give him a bigger role. Contract year for him too.
Vary interesting suggestion. Although i think it may disrupt the other proven lines in a negative way.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I think we all get caught up in line 1 2 and 3 way too much as Bruins fans as our coach prefers to roll 4 lines with pretty equal icetime.

here is what i was bouncing around in my head the other night:

1a- Lucic Krecji Soberberg
1b- Iginla Spooner Ericksson
1c- Marchand Bergeron Kelly
Merlot

PK- Erickson/ Kelly Marchand/Bergeron Campbell/Paille

I know that this will limit the bergeron line in scoring, but it would also create a lock down line, with good speed that "can" get to the net and pop in a few.

It also gives Spooner a few guys who can finish his creative distribution of the puck, and gives Soderberg a really good shot at succeeding right out of the chute.

Feedback?

No offense I'm just not a fan of making the lines like this. It worked when we had guys like Savard and Kessel, id rather keep the top 6 strong

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Why on earth would you trade one of your top scorers and brightest young star for Eriksson, only to bury Eriksson on the third line with an unproven European player and Paille? I'm not trying to slight Paille here because I love what he brings, but he in no way needs to be playing with a scorer such as Eriksson night in and night out. It would be a complete waste of Eriksson.

Well, we do have the coach who played Jaromir Jagr on the 4th line next to Paille and Campbell.
If Eriksson plays on the third line I'm gonna throw up.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Well, we do have the coach who played Jaromir Jagr on the 4th line next to Paille and Campbell.
If Eriksson plays on the third line I'm gonna throw up.

If Eriksson plays on the third line its because Eriksson personally wants to play with Soderberg. Swedes like to play with Swedes.

There is no chance he'd play on it with Kelly as the center though he'd probably complain and ask why the heck they bothered trading for him.

We all love Bergeron. Other NHL players revere Bergeron. But as a potential linemate he is not a guy who is guaranteed to increase your point totals, playing next to him isn't the same thing as playing next to Gretzky even though us Bruins fans want to think it is since he's a great player.

And it would allow possibly Loui to play LW (I know he's done it before but in our system he might not want to play the off wing.)

I personally like the idea of giving a kid a shot on the Bergeron line. A kid and Soderberg would be a question mark.

beezfan

Aug 31, 2009
Marchand, Bergeron, Eriksson
Lucic, Krejci, Iginla
Soderberg, Kelly, (Rookie)
Paille, Campbell, Thornton

Eriksson is a 1st or 2nd liner. He will not play on the 3rd line.
I don't think people understand how good Eriksson is. Look back at the years he played with Richards in Dallas. Amazing.
He will have people in Boston to set him up and I'd say he scores 30-40 this year.

I really don't know which rookie would fit into that spot on the 3rd line. Let me know your thoughts.

I can also see Thornton getting bumped as well. He is getting older and slower. Hardly played any minutes in the play-offs. Game is trending away from enforcers and I just don't see him sticking around for much longer.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Marchand, Bergeron, Eriksson
Lucic, Krejci, Iginla
Soderberg, Kelly, (Rookie)
Paille, Campbell, Thornton

Eriksson is a 1st or 2nd liner. He will not play on the 3rd line.
I don't think people understand how good Eriksson is. Look back at the years he played with Richards in Dallas. Amazing.
He will have people in Boston to set him up and I'd say he scores 30-40 this year.

I really don't know which rookie would fit into that spot on the 3rd line. Let me know your thoughts.

I can also see Thornton getting bumped as well. He is getting older and slower. Hardly played any minutes in the play-offs. Game is trending away from enforcers and I just don't see him sticking around for much longer.

If Spooner shines and wins the job he probably centers it. Everyone else is competing for a wing spot my guess is Camara might be a guy like Looch who they feel can learn in the NHL instead of the A.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I'd really like a dynamite third line again, we haven't really had one since Savard was healthy.

How much offense would there be on this line? I think it would be awesome. I think they'd score like a second line.

Wondering what other people think.

Paille could go off on that line I think he's our secret weapon and can score as much as anyone in our system we need to give him a bigger role. Contract year for him too.

I think it would be a poor utilization of assets.

beezfan

Aug 31, 2009
Camara would be a nice addition to the 4th line. Bump Thornton.
I know I'm picking on Thornton but I just feel his time is done.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I don't buy it.

I've seen enough of Paille to know that he just doesn't have the hands, or instinct to be a consistent scorer. Yeah he can get hot and pot a few in a row, but he can't be counted on to be a consistent scorer. He would bring this line down with his inability to finish and lack of play making skills.

I'm with you on this one. Paille is great at what he is asked to do (be a solid role player/penalty killer) and I love him in that role. He pots most of his goals off turnovers or crashing and banging. He'd butcher every pass given to him and we would all be screaming for him to be back on the fourth line if he was placed with more offensively-gifted players. Plus, Merlot is an important part of this team. The total is greater than the sum of its parts and I don't like seeing them get broken up.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I've actually thought about that a little and like where you're going with it --not as a demotion to Marchand, but only if Kelly is moved.

Spooner and Marchand together would create absolute nightmares together for big Dmen; it would be like trying to catch two greased pigs. Soderberg is a very strong board player so that may be a great fit with Bergeron too. 3 scoring lines:

Lucic--Krejci--Iggy
Soderberg--Bergeron--Eriksson
Marchand--Spooner--(camp winner)
Merlot​

I think Caron is ready to be a NHL player and think he would fit nicely with Bergeron and Soderberg. Put Marchand Kelly and Erikson together and you would have Three lines that could score

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I think Caron is ready to be a NHL player and think he would fit nicely with Bergeron and Soderberg. Put Marchand Kelly and Erikson together and you would have Three lines that could score

If (and they wont) put Bergeron with Soderberg and Caron I will throw my big screen out my front window and dance on the shards with bare feet.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

Or you would have 2 lines that could score and are now unable to score. We already know that Bergeron and Marchand have chemistry and can produce, why break that up?

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
If (and they wont) put Bergeron with Soderberg and Caron I will throw my big screen out my front window and dance on the shards with bare feet.

You are entitled to your opinon but Bergeron would help those two players develop in the same way he helped Marchand develop and I am not saying this is a line at the end of the season but simply a safe way to help Caron and Soderberg adjust, and a great mentor for both. I think you try a few experments at the first of the season to make your team stronger by season end

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Camara would be a nice addition to the 4th line. Bump Thornton.
I know I'm picking on Thornton but I just feel his time is done.

Replace Thornton with a guy who can't play or fight as well as him.

GENIUS!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
You are entitled to your opinon but Bergeron would help those two players develop in the same way he helped Marchand develop and I am not saying this is a line at the end of the season but simply a safe way to help Caron and Soderberg adjust, and a great mentor for both. I think you try a few experments at the first of the season to make your team stronger by season end

Bergeron can mentor them in practice.

Neither Caron or Soderberg have proved at the NHL level that they are top 6 players. You only give them top 6 positions once they show they can be top 6 players, not before. We're SC contenders, not a lottery team that can afford to play around with **** that doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Fraser looks like the leading candidate for third line RW, at this point, based upon his AHL production over the past two seasons. I don't know how strong he is defensively, though, as the third line has certain defensive responsibilities as well as providing a certain scoring acumen.

I'd prefer to play Ericcson on the first or second line, let Fraser compete with Smith and Knight (and Caron, for that matter) for the third line at the start of exhibition season and see how it goes. Fourth line is good as merlot, don't mix it.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Bergeron can mentor them in practice.

Neither Caron or Soderberg have proved at the NHL level that they are top 6 players. You only give them top 6 positions once they show they can be top 6 players, not before. We're SC contenders.

I except that but what I am talking about is creating a team with three balanced lines that alows blance in the line up. I am not calling either top six but by putting them with Bergeron you are creating three balanced lines you also have a line of Kelly ,Marchand and Erikson and we all know how Claude likes to roll four lines

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I except that but what I am talking about is creating a team with three stong lines that alows blance in the line up. I am not calling either top six but by putting them with Bergeron you are creating three balanced lines you also have a line of Kelly Marchand and Erikson and we all know how Claude likes to roll four lines

I don't think anyone would dispute this as a good idea. But the pieces don't make strong lines. We've got too many unknowns for one position (RW) and we witnessed a blackhole with any line that had Kelly on it last year. While I have a hard time believing he'll be that offensively inept again, I don't think pairing him with Erikson and Marchand is a good idea.

I think the argument is rather a subtraction from one line (Bergy) does not make an addition two both lines that outweighs the initial product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad