News Article: Pageau begins preparations for playoff run with islanders

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
JG!!! Having him and Cizikas together for the PK and bottom 6 is going to very valuable in the playoffs.

“It’s hard to know what would have happened,” Pageau said of the slump. “In my view, we would have made it. I really believed in my teammates. For being there for such a short period of time, they’ve gained my confidence already. Not only the players, but the whole organization. I’m excited just to go back to New York, but I don’t know when exactly.”

Last edited:

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
JG!!! Having him and Cizikas together for the PK and bottom 6 is going to very valuable in the playoffs.

“It’s hard to know what would have happened,” Pageau said of the slump. “In my view, we would have made it. I really believed in my teammates. For being there for such a short period of time, they’ve gained my confidence already. Not only the players, but the whole organization. I’m excited just to go back to New York, but I don’t know when exactly.”

I can't help but think that he's going to be the 'Butch Goring' of this group.

I wish we had a bit more size and speed, but I really do feel like we got the goods to do some damage. Solid and deep everywhere.

I am effin' ready!

Pageau returns to hear familiar sounds in his former home

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd like to see Bailey and Pageau develop some chemistry together. Bailey is a good playmaker , Pageau is a decent finisher. The 3rd component of that line could be Ladd or Komarov. On the surface, Pageau playing with a playmaking winger should be good for both.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'd like to see Bailey and Pageau develop some chemistry together. Bailey is a good playmaker , Pageau is a decent finisher. The 3rd component of that line could be Ladd or Komarov. On the surface, Pageau playing with a playmaking winger should be good for both.
I liked the way they looked in his first game vs the Rags. Short lived when he got thrown out obviously but I still liked it.

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I liked the way they looked in his first game vs the Rags. Short lived when he got thrown out obviously but I still liked it.
If this thing gets restarted. I kinda like the other 3 lines as they have been set up all season. Barzal, Nelson, Cizikas lines. They all seem set. The #3 line let's call it, is the line that has been the achilles heal this season. JGP and Bailey should be a solid basis for a good #3 line. Finding the 3rd component, may be the challenge. Komarov, Ladd, Knuckles, Bellows...

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If this thing gets restarted. I kinda like the other 3 lines as they have been set up all season. Barzal, Nelson, Cizikas lines. They all seem set. The #3 line let's call it, is the line that has been the achilles heal this season. JGP and Bailey should be a solid basis for a good #3 line. Finding the 3rd component, may be the challenge. Komarov, Ladd, Knuckles, Bellows...
That part is hard, Dal Colle too. I think the top 2 choices are Ladd and Dal Colle.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’d keep Bailey w Beau and Nelson. That line could use his smarts. He’s too talented for the 3rd line imho.

Brassard w JPG and Ladd. Some skill and grit.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’d keep Bailey w Beau and Nelson. That line could use his smarts. He’s too talented for the 3rd line imho.

Brassard w JPG and Ladd. Some skill and grit.
I kinda liked Nelson + Beauvillier with Brassard. I like spreading out the talent on 4 lines. When the season ended abruptly, Cizikas and Pelech were out. And Clutterbuck just came back from a horrific wrist injury. The Isles looked out of sync. I like the 4 lines and 3 D pairings all hitting on the right cylinder approach more than a top heavy top lines and D pairings approach. To me the 3rd line was always a gaping hole this year. Last year Filppula did a decent job. Hopefully JGP will make a bigger impact this season if there is one, or next year.

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
I kinda liked Nelson + Beauvillier with Brassard. I like spreading out the talent on 4 lines. When the season ended abruptly, Cizikas and Pelech were out. And Clutterbuck just came back from a horrific wrist injury. The Isles looked out of sync. I like the 4 lines and 3 D pairings all hitting on the right cylinder approach more than a top heavy top lines and D pairings approach. To me the 3rd line was always a gaping hole this year. Last year Filppula did a decent job. Hopefully JGP will make a bigger impact this season if there is one, or next year.

I agree, beau-brock-brassard caught fire for a bit early on. Let’s see if they can get hot again to start. Pageau and Bailey can also be 2/3rds of a good shut down line. They can match up against Florida’s top line while chipping in offensively when the opportunity strikes.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Trotz will figure things out as the camp progresses. For me, I like Bailey's playmaking with two shooters. Beau and Nelson aren't the smartest players, they could benefit from a cerebral winger like Bailey who can hold on to the puck and seek passing lanes.

Brassard is another shooter, one-dimensional. Put him on the 2nd line, that's 3 shooters, w/ limited dimensions.

I'd bet Brassard could mesh well with fellow JPG. JPG brings a little of everything, he can feed Brassard whilst Ladd does the dirty work.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
All honestly in a short series I think Ladd can be effective if he plays hard and physical. Give it everything he has. The guy has won a cup before so maybe he thinks this is his last "kick at the can".

Ladd did a pretty good job at scoring goals in the AHL, he was physical and energetic when playing in the NHL again for his brief stint. As long as he can bring that intensity I'm fine with him in the lineup over someone like Dal Colle. The need for Dal Colle's safe play is lessened with Pageau on the roster.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Ladd did a pretty good job at scoring goals in the AHL, he was physical and energetic when playing in the NHL again for his brief stint. As long as he can bring that intensity I'm fine with him in the lineup over someone like Dal Colle. The need for Dal Colle's safe play is lessened with Pageau on the roster.
MDC and Ladd should both be black aces, imho.

If it's a choice of either/or in a post-season lineup I'd probably lean towards Dal Colle over Ladd. Ladd's ice time has to be managed and he was prone to some brutal turnovers in his return from the AHL. I don't think Dal Colle will cost us a game defensively, and I don't think he'll give us any offense either. My real hope is neither one of 16 or 28 is dressing for the playoffs.

I guess I'm hoping that the offense comes from the guys who underperformed all season-Lee, Brassard, Bailey, Eberle. And having a new addition like JG Pageau providing a spark.

GoIsles1

Sep 12, 2018
All honestly in a short series I think Ladd can be effective if he plays hard and physical. Give it everything he has. The guy has won a cup before so maybe he thinks this is his last "kick at the can".
You’re right but the problem I have is that in Ladds time as an Islander he has been the king of taking stupid penalties at the absolute worst times especially in the 3rd period. I really fear that biting the teams ass in the playoffs.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I think that we have enough depth at every position, that we can be a surprise in the P.O.s I think Pageau is going to be a real boost to the team. getting Pelech back is huge, too. I say that we win two rounds.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
With Cizikas back and JGP in the fold, rolling four strong lines could be a very important edge for the Isles in the playoffs.

To me, the biggest issue is that the Isles are lacking one more clear-cut player that should be in that middle six. I see JGP, Nelson, Bailey and AB as clear players to fill those lines, with Brassard also (reluctantly) in the mix given the current roster and circumstances.

It will be interesting to see if Trotz opts to "stack" the second line and keep AB, Nelson and Bailey together, or redistribute some skill and play AB or Bailey alongside JGP?

Going with my gut, I would keep Bailey alongside Nelson, since they have been teammates for many years and continuity should be important after such a long layoff, and try Ladd as their LW. See if Ladd can add some grit to that line and hold up physically for the playoffs.

Then play AB alongside JGP and Brassard. I have gone on record many times as NOT being a Brassard fan but, I think his best chance to succeed is playing alongside a player like JGP. I also think AB and JGP will flourish playing together.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
They can't come back soon enough. Man I'm pumped. Love the look of our team now with everyone healthy and JG in the fold.
A little more scoring punch on the wings would be nice, but it is what it is. Maybe one of Wahlstrom or Bellows can fill that gap next season.
As of today we are a solid team that should be able to do some damage.

Lotta talk about where Brassard fits in.... Imo, even at his best, he's our 13th forward. I'll take Ladd over him any day of the week.

Lee-Barzal-Ebs
Beau-Nelson-Bailey
MDC-Pageau-Ladd
MM-CC-CC
Leo/Brass/Kuhnakle

Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Leddy-Boychuk
Green/Dobson

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
^I'd insert Brassard, shift Ladd to the left. But it's a good lineup. An nobody thought Pelech would be available, psht.

I'd also try Greene over Boychuk. He's swifter and does many subtle defensive plays, much like Boychuk, but more.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
^I'd insert Brassard, shift Ladd to the left. But it's a good lineup. An nobody thought Pelech would be available, psht.

I'd also try Greene over Boychuk. He's swifter and does many subtle defensive plays, much like Boychuk, but more.
There is no way Johnny Boychuk should sit if he’s healthy. This is a non-starter. JB is the defenseman that makes the right plays look easy because he always knows where he’s supposed to be. Having a 3 month break and fresh legs is exactly the right scenario for Boychuk going into the playoffs.

IF, and that’s a big IF, you are aching to get Andy Greene into the lineup it should be over Mayfield or Toews.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
There is no way Johnny Boychuk should sit if he’s healthy. This is a non-starter. JB is the defenseman that makes the right plays look easy because he always knows where he’s supposed to be. Having a 3 month break and fresh legs is exactly the right scenario for Boychuk going into the playoffs.

IF, and that’s a big IF, you are aching to get Andy Greene into the lineup it should be over Mayfield or Toews.

While Pulock has emerged as the unit's top dog, Boychuk is still the leader of the group. The guy has earned respect and has the personality to keep the group loose. Chemistry matters. I agree there is no way he doesn't play as long as he's healthy.

We still need him. Things might change next year as the younger guys continue to ascend, but I think he's the one everyone looks towards to set the tone.

Reactions: MJF

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
While Pulock has emerged as the unit's top dog, Boychuk is still the leader of the group. The guy has earned respect and has the personality to keep the group loose. Chemistry matters. I agree there is no way he doesn't play as long as he's healthy.

We still need him. Things might change next year as the younger guys continue to ascend, but I think he's the one everyone looks towards to set the tone.
agreed whole heartedly. Just look at our results when he's out for any extended period.

Reactions: MJF and PWJunior

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Next year is next year. But as far as the tournament goes and any time we spend in the playoffs, Johnny Boychuk is the key to the defense. But thank god we have Andy Greene as insurance.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Yeah, imho it's the toughest call, we'll just see how things play out. His lack of mobility against a speedy team concerns me; Greene is equally smart, rested, and reads the play just as well; Cup winner. I suppose Mayfield sits out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad