Goalies: Pads for a tall, narrow-butterfly goaltender

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I'm a peewee-in-transition-to-bantam player looking for new pads. I'm huge, 5'10", 125 lbs, and a butterfly goaltender. Only problem is, despite my huge legs, I don't have a very wide butterfly. I like a flexible glove but stiff pads and blocker. What are your suggestions?

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
If you need stiff pads you should look into the Reebok Premier series line, Reebok Revoke line, the Vaughn Vision line, and Bauer Supreme line.

Are you looking for pro level gear or senior level? I can go more in depth with the model numbers once I know.

If you have a narrow butterfly, you will want to buy a pad with 2 breaks to help cover up that five hole.

As far as gloves go, its really preference thing, how do you catch the puck? do you close your thumb to your index finger or to your palm?

djkev

Feb 6, 2013
if you're looking for a stiffer pad, but have a narrow bfly, look for something with a double break. It should help close your 5 hole. I suggest looking at the Gnetiks from Brian's, the P4s with double break would also work. Personally, I'd also look at the new Vaughn Ventus. Really nice pads. Face of the pads are stiff, but still flexible at the boot and knee.

Aucoin11*

Double break ps4's and genetiks are great calls, but you might want to look at the warrior ritual pads also. The stock version is single break, but the pads are some of the most customizeable on the market, even more so than brian's. Depending on how you wear them and use them they will mold to that. If you use the top strap they will perform perfectly for your narrowfly, if you develop a wider flair somehow the pads can play as if they have a straight angle as well. They feel soft, but I promise you they will not shrink and hold their shape firm and strong. Another nice feature is you can wear them tight, loose, or whatever and they will all rotate very well.

Ultimately, if you're able try them on and see what you like best that will ultimately be the best avenue.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm a peewee-in-transition-to-bantam player looking for new pads. I'm huge, 5'10", 125 lbs, and a butterfly goaltender. Only problem is, despite my huge legs, I don't have a very wide butterfly. I like a flexible glove but stiff pads and blocker. What are your suggestions?

Don Simmons is the way to go. I use Simmons Matrix III's, however I have had them for 5 years so the 997's might work out better. I use a wide stance butterfly and I find the brick style pads are best. Also since when is being 5' 10" and 125lbs huge? I assume you mean for your age because otherwise your about average height.

Ryno

Suck-inator MIA
Jun 17, 2003
G.P
www.powervibestudios.com
Double break ps4's and genetiks are great calls, but you might want to look at the warrior ritual pads also. The stock version is single break, but the pads are some of the most customizeable on the market, even more so than brian's. Depending on how you wear them and use them they will mold to that. If you use the top strap they will perform perfectly for your narrowfly, if you develop a wider flair somehow the pads can play as if they have a straight angle as well. They feel soft, but I promise you they will not shrink and hold their shape firm and strong. Another nice feature is you can wear them tight, loose, or whatever and they will all rotate very well.

Ultimately, if you're able try them on and see what you like best that will ultimately be the best avenue.

+1 for the Warrior Ritual Pro Custom. Best five-hole closure on any pad I've worn over the last 20 years (single external knee break and single internal thigh break). Pete Smith did a wonderful job with these pads, using some innovative and exclusive features (table-top boot, post wedge, bindingless boot design to name a few)

Came from a set of Brian's Focus, which are a wonderfully well-constructed pad, but extremely stiff, which caused me to have issues with my joints. The Rituals still feature a flat face and stiffer style of rebound, but with a little more flex to make it easier on your joints (a sliding toe bridge also helps).

Simmons, Brian's, or the Warrior Ritual Custom Pro's: Any way you go, you can't go wrong with "Made In Canada" products!

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
As far as catching goes, I bring my fingers towards the "base" of my thumb, for lack of a better term, and close my thumb towards my index finger. I don't like a stiff glove, I like something that I can maneuver around in. Sounds like Brian's or Reebok would be the way to go for me.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Out of the well-known brands, (Reebok, Vaughn, Bauer) I'd go with Reebok's.

If you're a taller, slimmer guy they're the way to go, good for deflection pucks into corners and covering that 5-hole.

If you're feeling adventurous and feel your athleticism is also good, go with Vaughns. Allow for great pad slides and post to post coverage.

I was a smaller goalie and was athletic, so I ended up going with Vaughns. Loved them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad