Proposal: Pacioretty to Buffalo (non-O'Reilly)

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I'll admit that I have not spent hours watching film and analyzing statistics to determine whether Pacioretty is on the decline or having an off year. However, you can not just look at his whole career and consider it as an indicator for whats to come next year or even the year after that. If you saw a player have an "off year" at 26 years old with strong years before and after, you would say that its not a good indicator of his ability. However, when most/many (?) NHL players see a decline in their production around age 29 or 30, you get a little hesitant to call a potentially expensive acquisition "having a fluke season".

I would say it's true most players decline around 30. I would also say most stars decline later or not as fast, because their talent keeps them up there. Players who's game is mostly based on physical attributes decline faster most of the time. I might be wrong, but if I have to put money on MaxPac, it would be as him declining progressively into his mid 30s... his a perimeter player with good skating and amazing shot, those attributes are not that affected by age.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I would say it's true most players decline around 30. I would also say most stars decline later or not as fast, because their talent keeps them up there. Players who's game is mostly based on physical attributes decline faster most of the time. I might be wrong, but if I have to put money on MaxPac, it would be as him declining progressively into his mid 30s... his a perimeter player with good skating and amazing shot, those attributes are not that affected by age.
Only time will tell.

That "perimeter player" reminds me how much Buffalo lacks any net front presence. I want Pacioretty still and know that isn't his game, but your words struck a chord. It doesn't matter who the Sabres keep or trade if they don't get people to the front of the net on a much more frequent basis. Got anybody like that you could send us?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Only time will tell.

That "perimeter player" reminds me how much Buffalo lacks any net front presence. I want Pacioretty still and know that isn't his game, but your words struck a chord. It doesn't matter who the Sabres keep or trade if they don't get people to the front of the net on a much more frequent basis. Got anybody like that you could send us?

Andrew Shaw, Daniel Carr maybe. Neither are top 6 players tho.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Andrew Shaw, Daniel Carr maybe. Neither are top 6 players tho.
We need them throughout the lineup, so top 6 isn't necessarily a requirement (as a throw in of course). Daniel Carr appears to be more of the "fringe NHLer" definition. Andrew Shaw's contract doesn't meet his production, but may be an option if some salary was retained or something. I can't say that I know his game at all, so my fellow Sabres fans may tell me to step away slowly. Seems kind of small for that role too. Sam Reinhart always seemed to be too small to be our best player at it and he has Shaw by 2" and almost 15 lbs.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
We need them throughout the lineup, so top 6 isn't necessarily a requirement (as a throw in of course). Daniel Carr appears to be more of the "fringe NHLer" definition. Andrew Shaw's contract doesn't meet his production, but may be an option if some salary was retained or something. I can't say that I know his game at all, so my fellow Sabres fans may tell me to step away slowly. Seems kind of small for that role too. Sam Reinhart always seemed to be too small to be our best player at it and he has Shaw by 2" and almost 15 lbs.

Shaw plays bigger that his size, but it's not always good since he ended up with a few injuries in the past year. He is indeed about 500-700k overpaid for a 30-40 pts player. As a fan I would retain to have value for him, but I doubt current management consider this.

Daniel Carr is a player I'm probably higher then most on, coaching staff included. He's a bottom 6 player, but he does play with speed and grit even tho he's on the smaller side. I think he could end up being a good 3rd liner who creates space for his teamates. He fits the 'Vegas' model if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Digable5

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
That was a deduction since they are all LHD. Didn't know your plan was to put him on his wrong side or that any of Scandella or Dahlin play their off side.

Do you have anything to back up this assumption that out of three D men none of them are capable of playing their off side?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The odds of this guy staying in Buffalo beyond 1 year are negligible. If this is really Buffalo's target, shame on us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad