Pacific Division Standings (predictions)

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
It's slowly upon us fellas. I think the team has vastly improved the last two years (on paper) and think we make some sort of stride this year.

This is mine:

San Jose - No way imo anyone in the pacific can hang with them. Karlsson, Burns and Vlasic alone on D is enough to see that. Their forward crop isnt anything to scoff at either. Pavelski, Couture, Kane, Thornton (albeit old can still produce well) and to a lesser extent Donskoi and Karlsson are all capable of putting up points. Jones seems average, but average in net likely will be alright.

Vegas - It pains me to put them here and I am still not sold on them being a stanley cup team and may not even a playoff team, but they keep proving they are a good team. I think Gallant has these guys so dialed in on the system that they are hard to play against. Karlsson, Marchessualt, Pacioretty, Haula, Smith, Tuch and Stastny...shit, they are player wise a good team. Theodore, Merril, Schmidt and McNabb isnt a shabby D, either. Fluery was outstanding last year, too. Should have won the Vezina imo. Anyway, I could certainly see them making the playoffs, again.

Los Angeles - I still think they have it. Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Taffoli, Carter, Pearson and Kempe/Vilardi is a sound top six. Pair that with Doughty and Muzzin and still capable guys like Phanuef and Martinez, their D isnt half bad, either. Quick is a question mark, but we all know what he can do.

Arizona - Galchenyuk, Keller, Stepan, Grabner, Dvorak, Perlini/Fischer/Panik is likely the best top six we've had in decades. Our top four of OEL, Demers, Hjarlmarsson and Chychrun is also likely the best we've had in a decade. Raanta has proven he is promising at being a #1 goalie, too. I think the players have all bought into the system (see back half of last year and the current preseason) and we will continue to see progress in all three zones. I think we are a wildcard team. I do not think we hang with San Jose or Vegas, though. (f*** the knights)

Calgary - Hanifan, Giordano, Brodie and Stone as a top four shows their strength. Not to mention Hamonic. Up front with Monahan, Gaudreau, Neal, Backlund, Bennett and Frolik is questionable. Monahan has had some serious injury problems. Bennett has still yet to put it together and Neal is getting older. We all know Mike Smith, reletively reliable but very inconsistant. I dont see them doing much more than being a sub bubble team.

Edmonton - Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Lucic, Nugent-hopkins and Cuggiula/Rattie is pretty poor outside of McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. They dont look any better than last year. Rattie, however has looked good on Mcdavids wing. Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse and Sekera isnt all that good, either. Talbot is capable of holding the fort but will need serious support for that to happen. A lot rides on where Mcdavid goes the Oilers go. I have them missing again.

Anaheim - Trying to learn a new system with the same players. Getzlaf is still elite imo, but Perry and Kesler are not the same. Rakell, Henrique and Silfverberg are good, but more support players than anything. Although, Rakell is the best of the bunch. Fowler, Linhom, Montour and Larsson isnt a bad top four but I dont think they have the right tools for the new system. (or atleast have not grasped the new system) Gibson also needs to repeat what he did last year if Anaheim wants to have continued success, but I think this is the year they start to slip. I have them missing.

Vancouver - Not even sure what to say outside of Brock Boeser. Lottery team.

Cliff notes:

San Jose
Vegas
Los Angeles
Arizona
Calgary
Edmonton
Anaheim
Vancouver

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I have it the same, except Anaheim ahead of Edmonton. Ducks are old but the Oil are a joke.

I think Calgary is insane for not getting a decent backup for Smitty. It burned them last year and it will do so again this year when Smith inevitably gets hurt. I won't be surprised when Treliving gets canned in April.

I have us making it as a wild card. If you look at the other division, I think their top 3 (in no order) are Winnipeg, Nashville, and St. Louis. So once you add in SJ, VGK, and LA, that leaves 2 wildcards. I think we're about even with Colorado. Minnesota is boring. Stars have an interesting lineup but have proven nothing. Hawks are gonna be bad.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Easy top spot pick in San Jose. Easy bottom spot pick is Vancouver. The in between looks pretty wide open to me, anything could happen. I also think teams go through times where they are fortunate and catch breaks with no injuries, players jelling, hot goal tenders. The opposite is true, poor goal tending, injuries, wrong mix, team gets old. Hard to catch the turn but it happens every year, so here goes:

San Jose-How can you not pick them with EK now.
AZ- just because we deserve a season where the breaks go our way/ Raanta is top 10/D stays healthy
Calgary-Same thing, deserve to have things go there way
Oilers- Not sure they are in the playoffs but will bounce a little on Talbot being better
Vegas- perfect year last year, not perfect this year
LA-Due for bad breaks after their cup runs
Ducks-same thing, game is faster, they are older, due for downfall
Vancouver-Not a good looking team

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
San Jose
Los Angeles
Vegas
Anaheim
Calgary (barely ahead of us)
Arizona
Edmonton
Vancouver

I think despite Anaheim having a lot of old players will still be pretty good.

I'd love to be wrong and see us finish higher, but we have so many question marks, and sadly so many injuries already. If Galchenyuk and Dvorak miss a decent chunk of time our center depth is right back to meh. I hope Raanta stays healthy, because I think Kuemper is a well below average backup. Our blue line should be solid, so there's that. I just worry that our injuries cause us to start slow, and we play catch up all season.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I might be out to lunch but I expect the Oilers to be good this season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I might be out to lunch but I expect the Oilers to be good this season.
I do also, but I thought they would be good last year too. I think a healthy Klefbom, a break out year by Puljujarvi and a much better Talbot they will be in the playoffs.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I do also, but I thought they would be good last year too. I think a healthy Klefbom, a break out year by Puljujarvi and a much better Talbot they will be in the playoffs.
Only one player of their's really performed as expected or better last year, just everyone returning to normal makes them a lot better.

Reactions: Sacul

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Sharks
Knights
Kings
Oilers
Coyotes
Flames
Ducks
Canucks

I agree that the Wildcard spots come out of the Central this season. The Central is a stronger division again but I think the Sharks or Knights represent the West and lose to the Penguins in the finals.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
1. San Jose*
2. Vegas*
….
3. Anaheim*
4. Los Angeles*
5. Arizona
6. Edmonton
7. Calgary
…..
8. Vancouver

*Playoff team

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Knights (I believe - best home court advantage this side of Fenway Park
Sharks
Ducks
Flames
Coyotes
Oilers
Kings
K-nucks.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I've been looking at this thread and I just have such a hard time deciding how it will shake out! I went ahead and did an average of everyone who posted before me just to see...
Also did some deviation to see how that shook out since some lists had teams finishing way different than others. (Sorry if any mistakes! Just a quick fun idea ha)

1.) San Jose (second smallest deviation too)
2.) Vegas (3rd smallest deviation of the bunch)
3.)LA (BOOO) (tied for most deviation)
4.) Calgary (Just under LA in deviation in chosen positions)
5.) Arizona (We should be number 1 always, I wish... 4th least deviation)
6.) Edmonton (Less deviation than Calgary but more than AZ)
7.) Anaheim (Tied most deviation)
8.) Vancouver (No deviation whatsoever. Unequivocally picked number 8 haha)

So Vancouver is one people have absolute confidence in finishing last, with San Jose finishing first most of the time. Very interesting!

It's so hard for me to decide because I feel that San Jose is indeed the favorite but we know how things happen. After that it's really a crap shoot.

So my own list I will go with is... it's a crap shoot with potential to make me look foolish... aka it's perfect:

1. San Jose - Just have to pick them here at this point
2. Calgary - Depends on goaltending/health
3. Arizona - If we can stay healthy, I can see a higher than expected finish. Big if though.
4. Vegas - Could easily switch them and Calgary. Lost a couple of pieces but brought in some good ones too. Don't know that they capture the same emotional magic. Slight drop off.
5. Edmonton- Didn't do much to address their problems over offseason. But that's difficult considering the season before they did well so... could easily shoot up or down the list.
6. LA - I just don't see them being as big of a threat as they have been. Part of the reason I put them down here is cause they are LA ;) Could probably do better but meh
7. Vancouver - Someone had to give them a break. Maybe the young guys do well and teams take them for granted? Probably should be 8 but...
8. Anaheim - Every season there is a surprise, I think maybe they will be that surprise awful team this year. There is potential for let downs with this team. Wouldn't count them out though.

Edit: Yotes should be number 1. Forgive my momentary madness. After that the order is the same though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
San Jose
Las Vegas
Calgary
Arizona
LA
Anaheim
Edmonton
Vancouver

I think that LA's age will start to catch up with them - yes Kovalchuk is still good, but I don't know if he has the impact that they are looking for all-around. Vegas and San Jose are the clear cream of the crop, although I do think Vegas takes a step back. Calgary is my wild-card for good reasons and Anaheim is my wild-card for bad reasons. With the Flames, they hired Bill Peters, who coached at Carolina, and then acquired two former Hurricanes, which should help the transition of learning the system. Hanifin and Lindholm are high-caliber players, so they will make that transition easier. With the Ducks, the last time another system/coach was applied, I don't recall it starting too well, and this could be the case this year. Vancouver appears to be the worst team on paper.

For the 'Yotes, I could easily see us as high as 2nd in the division or as low as 6th/7th. I think that the one thing we have going for us is that the team will not start the same way this year as it did last, so I would be more worried about getting burnt out early in the season and having a less productive second half of the season as we push to not have a repeat of the beginning of the year, and then we tail off a little bit (whether that means tailing off from in playoffs to out of playoffs or in contention to not in contention remains to be seen).

Regardless of coach, this was the year that I expected us to start to see major dividends. If we had more time in Tippett's system, it would be a similar process as now - players simply getting used to the nuances and execution, and the team should be more comfortable this year than last in Tocchet's system as well.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I forgot about Tkachuk and lindholm in Calgary. I think they take 2nd/3rd in the division.

San Jose
Calgary
Vegas
Los Angeles
Arizona
Edmonton
Anaheim
Vancouver.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I feel like people are underestimating LA, and probably Anaheim. Of course I thought we'd be decent last year, and the Knights would finish between bottom 5-10.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Calgary is like Colorado was for a few years. They are suspect until proven otherwise. Yeah they made the playoffs a few years ago but it was with 94 points and they got swept.
They have the talent to make things happen but somehow it just doesn't fit all that well. Plus they are slave to Smith's injuries and inconsistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad