Pacific Division: Harder or Easier in 2015/16?

Shivakamini

Somakandarkram
Apr 4, 2011
While a number of teams did become worse next year, it doesn't look like the Pacific is one of them. Do you think the Pacific Division got harder to move up the standings or easier?

Anaheim
Subtract: Beleskey, Beauchamin, Fleischmann, Etem
Add: Horcoff, Stewart, Bieksa, Hagelin

I’d say better mostly on internal growth of Lindholm and Vatanen

Vancouver
Subtract: Bieksa, Kassian, Lack, Matthias
Add: Prust, Baertschi

I think worse for sure. Lack carried a heavy load for them and they gave Bieksa away.

Calgary
Subtract: Baertchi
Add: Hamilton, Frolik, healthy Giordano & Smid

I think they are a better team but at best can hope for similar results in the regular season due to out performance last year.

Los Angelas
Subtract: Richards, Williams, Stoll, Regher
Add: Lucic

I think they are better if they get Voynov back and canceling Richards contract sticks

San Jose
Subtract: Niemi, Hannan
Add: Jones, Martin, Ward

I think they are better so long as Jones preforms

Edmonton
Subtract: Roy, Nikitin (hopefully), Aulie, Marincin, Fraser
Add: McDavid, Sekera, Talbot, Reinhart, Gryba, Letesu, Korpikoski

To paraphrase MacT we are better, the question is how much

Arizona
Subtract: Crombeen, Moss, Erat, McGinn, Camplbell, Yandle, Korpikoski, Gagner, Arcobello.
Add: Pronger, Scott, Vermette, Gordon, Lindback

Pronger is really on the downside of his career so I’m going to go with wors on the fact that this isn’t even a cap compliant team imo.

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
While a number of teams did become worse next year, it doesn't look like the Pacific is one of them. Do you think the Pacific Division got harder to move up the standings or easier?

Anaheim
Subtract: Beleskey, Beauchamin, Fleischmann
Add: Horcoff, Stewart, Bieksa

I’d say better mostly on internal growth of Lindholm and Vatanen

Vancouver
Subtract: Bieksa, Kassian, Lack, Matthias
Add: Prust, Baertschi

I think worse for sure. Lack carried a heavy load for them and they gave Bieksa away.

Calgary
Subtract: Baertchi
Add: Hamilton, Frolik, healthy Giordano & Smid

I think they are a better team but at best can hope for similar results in the regular season due to out performance last year.

Los Angelas
Subtract: Richards, Williams, Stoll, Regher
Add: Lucic

I think they are better if they get Voynov back and canceling Richards contract sticks

San Jose
Subtract: Niemi, Hannan
Add: Jones, Martin, Ward

I think they are better so long as Jones preforms

Edmonton
Subtract: Roy, Nikitin (hopefully), Aulie, Marincin, Fraser
Add: McDavid, Sekera, Talbot, Reinhart, Gryba, Letesu, Korpikoski

To paraphrase MacT we are better, the question is how much

Arizona
Subtract: Crombeen, Moss, Erat, McGinn, Camplbell, Yandle, Korpikoski, Gagner, Arcobello.
Add: Pronger, Scott, Vermette, Gordon, Lindback

Pronger is really on the downside of his career so I’m going to go with wors on the fact that this isn’t even a cap compliant team imo.

His career has been over for years. He just got inducted to the hhof.

Anyway, I think we have a decent chance to finish anywhere from 6-3 Anaheim and LA I put 1+2

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This is how I think the Oilers will fair against the Pacific:
Anaheim- Lose all
San Jose- Split
Vancouver- Split
Calgary- Lose all (Maybe win 1 or 2)
LA- Win 1 or 2
Arizona- Win all

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Anaheim - basically the same, will finish first.
LA is worse.
San Jose is about the same.
Calgary is markedly improved where they'll stay the same, even with the PDO regressing.
Edmonton is improved.
Vancouver is going to be markedly worse.
Arizona is awful again.

So it'll be easier.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think San Jose got worse. Jones is incredibly overrated, I still can't believe they traded a 1st for him. If he flops (which I think he will) they are going to have some serious problems.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Well, I definitely think it's possible to pass Vancouver, San Jose, Calgary and Arizona in the standings. If we do that, we are a playoff team. Arizona is a gimme and Vancouver is on the downfall. The Sedins can't keep producing forever. Calgary and San Jose will be harder to pass but San Jose still has locker room issues and Calgary overachieved last year.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
The only givens in this conference is Anaheim 1st and Arizona 7th.

2nd-6th will be up for grabs.

The coaching change is huge alone.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Vancouver will fall a few spots, Calgary will stay the same, San Jose stays relatively the same, and LA might climb but they could also be worse.

Overall I think Oilers have a better shot this year.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Lasy year:
Ducks - 109
Blues - 109
Predators - 104
Blackhawks - 102
Canucks - 101
Wild - 100
Jets - 99
Flames - 97
-------
Stars - 92
Avalanche - 90
Kings - 95
Sharks - 89
Oilers - 62
Coyotes - 56

My prediction for this year:
Ducks - 112
Kings - 104
Blackhawks - 102
Predators - 102
Jets - 98
Blues - 96
Wild - 96
Flames - 94
-----
Stars - 92
Oilers - 88 (40-36-8)
Avalanche - 86
Sharks - 84
Canucks - 74
Coyotes - 63

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
The only team I have confidence we'll finish ahead of is Arizona.

And for the love of God, let's hope we can at least win 5 games against this pathetic franchise. It was disheartening to watch us get swept by them. :help:

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Pronger is really on the downside of his career

futurama-fry-looking-squint_528x297.jpg

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

While he did a good job of dealing the other team's dirty players, I don't think he did enough to stand up for his fellow Flyers. He's also coming off the worst offensive season of his career.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
While he did a good job of dealing the other team's dirty players, I don't think he did enough to stand up for his fellow Flyers. He's also coming off the worst offensive season of his career.

K.you guys are really confusing me since Pronger hasn't played since the 11-12 season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To be fair, that is still technically within the boundaries of "downside of his career".

Saying he is "in the downside of his career" implies that he still has a career as a player.

He doesn't. His career as a player has been over for a while now.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney

I mean, how are you going to put this guy in the Hall of Fame? Sure he won a Hart Trophy but these last couple of seasons have been dismal!

Although, to be fair, he does have a higher plus minus in those seasons than Schultz or Yakupov

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB

His offense was terrible, but his defense was just phenomenal. 0 goals against while he was on the ice all season! The fact he didn't win the Norris last season just shows how offense-biased the voting is.

Saying he is "in the downside of his career" implies that he still has a career as a player.

He doesn't. His career as a player has been over for a while now.

For all intents and purposes obviously, but you will notice I said technically. He technically is still an NHL player under NHL contract, who has just simply been having some off-seasons as of late where he missed a few more games due to injury than he would like to.

Implications don't matter when it's obvious nobody is serious.

Eirhead*

I picked "Easier to climb standings". The California road trip isn't nearly as intimidating as it was a year or 2 years ago, Vancouver is a shell of their former self, and Arizona is just as terrible as they were last year. IMO the only team with any appreciable gains this off-season besides the Oilers is the Flames. And because I'm answering this from the Oilers perspective, considering we made the most significant additions, I think there should be major gains in the standings this year for the good guys.

If I were to pick the top 3 playoff locks from the Pacific, I would wager on Anaheim, Calgary & Edmonton with LA and San Jose slugging it out for the wild card. There's been a major shift in the balance of power.

LockDown21

May 24, 2015
I picked "Easier to climb standings". The California road trip isn't nearly as intimidating as it was a year or 2 years ago, Vancouver is a shell of their former self, and Arizona is just as terrible as they were last year. IMO the only team with any appreciable gains this off-season besides the Oilers is the Flames. And because I'm answering this from the Oilers perspective, considering we made the most significant additions, I think there should be major gains in the standings this year for the good guys.

If I were to pick the top 3 playoff locks from the Pacific, I would wager on Anaheim, Calgary & Edmonton with LA and San Jose slugging it out for the wild card. There's been a major shift in the balance of power.

I'd like to think of myself as an optimist, but we are not better than the Kings or even a weaker Sharks team for that matter. Until we win with some consistency against them I would wait to consider us a lock.

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
I think the only sure thing is that we're better than the Canucks and Coyotes. I think the Flames are the biggest mystery with respect to how we'll fare against them. The Kings are still relatively intact from their Cup run, and the Sharks still have the size to pound the crap out of our scoring lines.

I see us in the middle of the pack unless we really take a step forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad