Confirmed with Link: Paajarvi signs 1 year extension ($800k)

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Great deal for a guy who chipped in 2.02 p/60 over 32 games last year. Berube really seemed to get through to him, and he came back up looking better than he ever has here. If he can figure out to stay consistent game over game, he'll earn a bigger contract next season, I would imagine. I don't think he'll ever live up to his draft pedigree, but he'll be valuable to us in some capacity, especially considering that price tag.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think that is about the best case scenario. If his scoring pace last year wasn't an anomaly, we just got a heck of a bargain and a very, very useful bottom 6 guy. If it was just a hot streak, this salary is perfectly fine for a speedy 4th liner or injury fill in.

I'm thrilled by this signing. It is a great move for this season, is very low risk and allows Paajarvi to get UFA money if he can be a 30+ point guy over an entire season. I had no desire to go more than 1 year, so the 'risk' of losing him after a good year doesn't cause me any heartburn.

$150k over league minimum for a guy like him is great in terms of cap flexibility, even if he reverts to the player he was a couple years ago.

$10.8 mil in space left to fill the 12th, 13th and 14th forward spots, the 7th D spot and our young defensive giant who no longer believes that love is enough. That's a pretty great situation to be in. I know the McDavid/Drai has generated a lot of 'this is the year a GM should make a big offer sheet' discussion, but that type of cap room is a great deterrent to that.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Good deal. Lets see if he can build on last season, he could become a quality bottom 6er if he does.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's good value, but that is because he is an UFA next summer.

I was hoping for 2 years at a little under $1m, but with his role mainly being fourth line then he isn't likely to be putting himself in line for a payday.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i always liked 56 so am happy to see him back

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Another good move from Armstrong. Really solid offseason so far with the additions to the coaching staff, the draft and now the very beginning of free agency.

Get Parayko signed long term and maybe one more forward and it's an A+ offseason

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I always root for this guy. Seems like a very likable person. He seemed to be getting better with more opportunities as the season went on.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Welcome back Chef Pay-R-Vee. Keep scoring at that 25 goal/season rate, and the Blues could be one of the deepest and dangerous offenses in the West.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Good depth player to have for that contract. Hopefully with Berube now on the Blues staff Paajarvi continues his good play from late last season. I feel like he showed some flashes of chemistry with Barbashev too.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Awesome deal as he has everything to prove and nothing to lose.

He played better under Yeo so let's hope he continues to surprise the NHL. :yo:

Last edited:

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Good signing. Unless I miss them officially saying it. But I'd say this symbols Upshall not returning. Plus I think Scotty was gonna be wanting a raise.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Welcome back Chef Pay-R-Vee. Keep scoring at that 25 goal/season rate, and the Blues could be one of the deepest and dangerous offenses in the West.

I'd wager that we win the President's Trophy if he scores 25 goals bouncing between our 3rd and 4th line.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
awesome, beautiful 3rd liner

need his speed

I'm still not sold on Paajarvi being a productive full-time 3rd liner, but I hope he is. Either way, I like the guy, and I like Yeo being able to have a tool like that in his toolbox. Worst case scenario I think Paajarvi can successfully transform his game into a 4th line style with speed and intensity on limited shifts.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Big time fan of this signing. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad