Paajarvi (1 year @ $700k)

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Great play by Pietro using his stick. He is really stepping up tonight.

I would love to see Lindbohm on powerplay Cmon Hitch give him PP icetime. :bb:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If any team offered us anything for MPS, he'd be on the next flight out of town. More likely, he'll go play in Europe. He might put up decent numbers and make a return like so many others have.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Paajarvi will be re-signed and on the roster next season, think about it. He's got size, which Armstrong raved about in today's interview, but he's also fast, which Armstrong said he wanted a month ago. Paajarvi covers all the bases.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Paajarvi will be re-signed and on the roster next season, think about it. He's got size, which Armstrong raved about in today's interview, but he's also fast, which Armstrong said he wanted a month ago. Paajarvi covers all the bases.

While this is all true, we have no idea what Army's vision of this team will be like in 3 weeks so it's really up in the air

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Pajaarvi possible on the block? Wants a bigger role that St Louid may not be able to offer him?

Bigger than what? He finished the year off the roster, in the AHL. Qualifying him was a surprise to all of us. ANY role with the Blues will be bigger than what I expect the Blues to offer him.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If any team offered us anything for MPS, he'd be on the next flight out of town. More likely, he'll go play in Europe. He might put up decent numbers and make a return like so many others have.

It took well over $1m to qualify him, and the only place he might get that money is the KHL. I get the impression that Armstrong sees him in the NHL next season, and Pääjärvi thinks he's just going to end up in the same situation as last season.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Hitch made an interesting comment about Paajarvi last season. Hitch said that Paajarvi had the body of a 19-year-old, even though Paarjarvi was 22 or 23 years old at the time.

I'm hoping that Paajarvi's offensive showing with the Wolves ( not great, but definitely good ) motivates him to work hard to gain muscle in the offseason and make another run at making the Blues' roster.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Hitch made an interesting comment about Paajarvi last season. Hitch said that Paajarvi had the body of a 19-year-old, even though Paarjarvi was 22 or 23 years old at the time.

I'm hoping that Paajarvi's offensive showing with the Wolves ( not great, but definitely good ) motivates him to work hard to gain muscle in the offseason and make another run at making the Blues' roster.

Actually, Hitch made that comment when Paajarvi first arrived from Edmonton. The Blues were happy with how much better he looked after working hard last summer. We'll see how he does this summer, unless he decides to play in Europe.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

The Blues never really gave the kid a chance. At this point in time, after 4 years with Hitch and 5 years with Armstrong, I think management is truly lost now and they don't know what they want to do or where to go with what. Their use of personnel and their decision making with personnel is poor.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Blues never really gave the kid a chance. At this point in time, after 4 years with Hitch and 5 years with Armstrong, I think management is truly lost now and they don't know what they want to do or where to go with what. Their use of personnel and their decision making with personnel is poor.

Pääjärvi was given a lot more chances than most seem to remember. He played 55 games in his first year here, and done nothing to earn more.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Only chance he has is if he's added some grit to his game, so he can play on the 4th line and start out as the 13th forward.

Ideally he can be used as the utility player to rotate with Fabbri for defensive situations. Similar to how Sobotka was used with Schwartz. Chances of him actually being able to fill this type of role is pretty slim.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'm not sure why we bothered even qualifying Paajarvi. He's a decent depth option but I'd rather give other guys a chance. And it sounds like Paajarvi wants a one-way deal or he'll go play in Sweden (and I can't blame him for that as he could probably make a good $200-300k in Sweden, more if he was willing to play in the KHL) and I hope the Blues don't give him that one-way deal. My guess is that the eventual turnout will be Paajarvi returing to Sweden and the Blues retaining his NHL rights in the event of a future NHL return and the 14th forward spot going to someone like Rattie, Caron, Kristo or a Porter type of player that hasn't been signed yet.

I've already penciled Fabbri into the 13th F spot.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Armstrong was on 101.1 yesterday talking about the Tarasenko deal, and he was questioned about what else needs to be done to the roster. Armstrong said they needed to get Paajarvi signed...somewhat interesting, because he could have not mentioned him at all. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Armstrong was on 101.1 yesterday talking about the Tarasenko deal, and he was questioned about what else needs to be done to the roster. Armstrong said they needed to get Paajarvi signed...somewhat interesting, because he could have not mentioned him at all. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Hmmm, interesting. Currently with out 12 forwards we can be fairly certain are on the roster, 7 D and 2 goalies, we have roughly $2.4M in cap space. If Paajarvi accepts his qualifying offer which was $1.4M IIRC, we will have a mill in cap space. Then using either Fabbri ($900k) or Rattie ($775,000) as the 13th forward, gives us between $100k and $225 in cap space. That's not much frictional space for if we have to make any moves due to injury or poor play. I'd say we have to get Paajarvi signed for less than that QO which means we have to give him some term. Why would he take less $$$ for one year when he can just accept the QO. That is a bit of a risk for a guy we all assumed was off the team and out of the league.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Hmmm, interesting. Currently with out 12 forwards we can be fairly certain are on the roster, 7 D and 2 goalies, we have roughly $2.4M in cap space. If Paajarvi accepts his qualifying offer which was $1.4M IIRC, we will have a mill in cap space. Then using either Fabbri ($900k) or Rattie ($775,000) as the 13th forward, gives us between $100k and $225 in cap space. That's not much frictional space for if we have to make any moves due to injury or poor play. I'd say we have to get Paajarvi signed for less than that QO which means we have to give him some term. Why would he take less $$$ for one year when he can just accept the QO. That is a bit of a risk for a guy we all assumed was off the team and out of the league.

Paajarvi filed for arbitration.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Neither Fabbri or Rattie will be an extra forward for the season. Fabbri might split time in that role to start the season, but if he hasn't got a spot at around the 20 game mark, then he's going back to the OHL. Rattie will be in the AHL if he hasn't got a spot on the team.

Pääjärvi has filed for arbitration, which means he is likely to get a 2-year contract. He'll be a RFA at the end of that. The minimum salary he can be awarded is $1.19m, which I imagine is what the Blues are going to request.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad