Player Discussion: PA Parenteau 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
My point being, we as Islander fans, constantly find our selves enamored with flawed mediocre players, such as Czerkawski, and PA. all the skill in the world does not make up for no brains, and all brains alone cannot make up entirely for lack of skill. Both of these guys have one thing in common. They had their best years while playing for bad teams, because they would get put into situations that benefited them. such as scoring in trash time, or getting carried by a star player.

Ironically, you missed my point. I was, pretty obviously disagreeing with you that PAP has no brains. He learned from his first year on NYI, becoming a much savvier hockey player.

The problem with PAP isn't that he's stupid. It's that he's *not* dynamic. He's not going to draw attention away from JT.

HoCk4307

Aug 2, 2005
Ironically, you missed my point. I was, pretty obviously disagreeing with you that PAP has no brains. He learned from his first year on NYI, becoming a much savvier hockey player.

The problem with PAP isn't that he's stupid. It's that he's *not* dynamic. He's not going to draw attention away from JT.

I understand what your point was, I never said he was stupid, just that he is mediocre. He will also offer no help in the defensive zone, and he turns the puck over often making a high risk pass. My point is the negatives, ie. turnovers and poor defensively, out weigh any potential benefit he could have.

I'm not sure whether it was possible or not but to me I feel Vanek was a much better option if we wanted to sign someone that we have already had play with JT

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I understand what your point was, I never said he was stupid, just that he is mediocre. He will also offer no help in the defensive zone, and he turns the puck over often making a high risk pass. My point is the negatives, ie. turnovers and poor defensively, out weigh any potential benefit he could have.

I'm not sure whether it was possible or not but to me I feel Vanek was a much better option if we wanted to sign someone that we have already had play with JT

Vanek is a pretty terrible hockey player and is pretty much useless away from the puck. He's a name and DET will be regretting that deal. For PAPs price, he's a bargain 1st liner that has a history with JT. It's not ideal, but Isles have money tied up in other areas that needs to go before a bigger splash can be made.

HoCk4307

Aug 2, 2005
You guys crack me up. I picked Vanek specifically because they are a similar type of player. That said Vanek does just about everything better than PA. the main difference is Vanek was a plus in his time with JT. Both PA and Vanek are useless in the D zone. Parenteau on any teams 1st line is embarrassing. Garth needs to stop dumpster diving for wingers to play with JT.

Again as I said due to various possible reasons(salary cap, or lack of interest on either side) Vanek went else where, but there is no doubt Vanek >>Parenteau even when taking into account their contracts

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
You guys crack me up. I picked Vanek specifically because they are a similar type of player. That said Vanek does just about everything better than PA. the main difference is Vanek was a plus in his time with JT. Both PA and Vanek are useless in the D zone. Parenteau on any teams 1st line is embarrassing. Garth needs to stop dumpster diving for wingers to play with JT.

Again as I said due to various possible reasons(salary cap, or lack of interest on either side) Vanek went else where, but there is no doubt Vanek >>Parenteau even when taking into account their contracts

While I agree that Vanek's a better player (even after his decline) and that the contract difference is negligible, there remains the problem of Vanek being a LW, when we badly needed a RW. Still could use another natural RW, really.

HoCk4307

Aug 2, 2005
While I agree that Vanek's a better player (even after his decline) and that the contract difference is negligible, there remains the problem of Vanek being a LW, when we badly needed a RW. Still could use another natural RW, really.

Vanek is a Right shot and has played Right wing. I assume he played left here because Okposo is also right handed. Its all irrelevant, I just wish we had picked up a player better than PA

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Vanek is a Right shot and has played Right wing. I assume he played left here because Okposo is also right handed. Its all irrelevant, I just wish we had picked up a player better than PA

He has always been a natural LW, and when he was converted to RW in Buffalo he publicly came out voicing his displeasure playing that position. He played some of his worst hockey in MTL playing RW.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
He has always been a natural LW, and when he was converted to RW in Buffalo he publicly came out voicing his displeasure playing that position. He played some of his worst hockey in MTL playing RW.

This.

Plus, regardless of flaws, Tavares is T-1000 with a puck distributor with the blade on the off-wing. Vanek and Parenteau flourished in just that role.

Add the chops and leadership from Ladd, and something a half-step below the TV-JT-KO combo isn't unreasonable.

Parenteau: 17G-45A-62P; maybe adjusted to 72P depending on how chemistry and PP deployments go, and how Barzal/Tito/JHS/MDC impact things as the season goes.

Again, flaws aside - chemistry with JT enough to be brought back, and the guy can carry and dish not just effectively with JT, but productively.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It was still a backwards move meant to give Barzal the chance to ease into that wing. If he bombs though and we get stuck with PA there... it will not look good for Snow.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Will be replaced by one of the prospects before the all-star game (or we'll all be yelling at Cappy to replace him with one of the prospects).

I guess he can clear waivers and they still play him, but I might've nailed this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad