Claimed off Waivers: P.A. Parenteau (claimed by NJ)

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
:handclap: exactly. Snow was smart and signed pap to a deal that could be easily moved. My guess was Snow signed pap with the intent of him only staying if kids weren't ready...since Snow knew he would receive offers a PTO was out of the question...He went this route. Quite smart if you ask me. :popcorn:

Always smart to lose 2/3 of your top forwards and only replace 1 of them. PAP is far from anything special but Quine/Berube are non factors that should have been waived before PAP.

Ladd replaces Okposo and a 19 year old replaces Frans... very smart (PAP is obviously not a good replacement either but he has more value to NYI this year than Quine/Berube )

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I got to say that this entire Parenteau waiving was really bizarre by Islanders. He was a free agent they went after, he scored at a good rate last season, his preseason he has very good relative 5v5 corsi and his scoring of 2 assists in 4 games is still an acceptable rate of scoring in my opinion.

Surely he'd have had some value with a trade considering how he was on such a budget contract. I really cannot think of any reason to waive him to be perfectly honest.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Excited to see what Parenteau can do. I'd have to imagine they'll try him out with Hall-Henrique.

Given the likelihood of Cammalleri/Bennett/etc to get injured, more depth is always good.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I got to say that this entire Parenteau waiving was really bizarre by Islanders. He was a free agent they went after, he scored at a good rate last season, his preseason he has very good relative 5v5 corsi and his scoring of 2 assists in 4 games is still an acceptable rate of scoring in my opinion.

Surely he'd have had some value with a trade considering how he was on such a budget contract. I really cannot think of any reason to waive him to be perfectly honest.

#1. He's slow
#2. He's a liability defensively
#3. He was outplayed by two 19 year olds in preseason

There's 3 reasons for you which were on full display during the last preseason game against Washington.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think this is going to be a really good pick up for NJ. Guy can play and while he can be inconsistent, many players are.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Here's a hot take, this could benefit both the Isles and Devils! Isles can mix in a prospect or two and the Devils added some depth and insurance for injury prone players.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
New Jersey Devils: sign just enough free agents every year to ensure a 9th or 10th place finish. No playoffs, no high picks. Rinse and repeat. Welcome to the new Jersey Devils way of building a team

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
New Jersey Devils: sign just enough free agents every year to ensure a 9th or 10th place finish. No playoffs, no high picks. Rinse and repeat. Welcome to the new Jersey Devils way of building a team

A) PAP was not a free agent, so I am not sure what talking about free agents has to do with anything
B) did you not see what the Devils did this summer to bolster their offense?
C) so is it your opinion that the Devils should just tank, then?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

• They traded their own 1st round in 13 for Cory Schneider, top 3-5 goalie in the league last 2-3 yrs
  • They added a 30 G scorer (Palms) for a 2nd and a 3rd last yr
  • They added Stempniak on a PTO and it turned into 63gms-16-25-41 ($850,000K!!!), and then flipped him for a 2nd and a 3rd
  • They traded a 1st round pick in Stefan Matteau for DSP (18gms-8-5-13) Matteaau may be waived!
  • They traded Eric Gelinas for a 3rd!
  • They added a LHD in Schlemko (yes in FA) who scored 6-13-19 for $625,000 on a 1 yr. He was their 2nd highest scoring D man
  • They traded for a former #1 OA in Hall (top 5 RW in the league) for a steal (not my words) in Lars
  • They jettisoned dead wood like: Gionta, Ryder, Ruutu, Tootoo,
  • They pickup a very good #2 RW in PAP (77gms- 20-21-41) on waivers!
  • They had to round out their roster while Shero righted the ship so the Kennedy/Farnham/Warsofky moves I will give you these

If Camms and Schneids do not go down with injury they were in!
They are not there yet, but hardly rinse and repeat with Shero. Every move has been a solid hit, and I don't think he is done yet this for this year!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I mean, sure. If you ignore the biggest moves they've made this summer I can see how one can conclude that's all they did this year...

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

5 rookies made the Devils opening night roster.

Shero has added Hall (24 years old), Palmieri (25), DSP (24), Bennett (24) were all brought in via trade within the past year - clearly for the present as well as the future.

Stempniak returned 2nd and 4th round picks the Devils.

Auvitu has been extremely impressive in camp and could be an impact player this season - appears to have been a great signing thus far.

2 of the 3 other major signings (Fiddler & Quincey) were both only signed to 1-year deals (add in PAP to this group) and can be flipped for picks at the deadline if the Devils are out of a playoff spot (which I don't think will be the case). Either way, creates more competition and gives more of the Devils youth opportunity to develop in minors.

Only Lovejoy received more than a year, and it's a rather fair contract.

They've also finished 12th & 13th in the East the past two years, not just outside the playoffs.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
5 rookies made the Devils opening night roster.

Shero has added Hall (24 years old), Palmieri (25), DSP (24), Bennett (24) were all brought in via trade within the past year - clearly for the present as well as the future.

Stempniak returned 2nd and 4th round picks the Devils.

Auvitu has been extremely impressive in camp and could be an impact player this season - appears to have been a great signing thus far.

2 of the 3 other major signings (Fiddler & Quincey) were both only signed to 1-year deals (add in PAP to this group) and can be flipped for picks at the deadline if the Devils are out of a playoff spot (which I don't think will be the case).

Only Lovejoy received more than a year, and it's a rather fair contract.

They've also finished 12th & 13th in the East the past two years, not just outside the playoffs.

I think the point he is making is that the Devils keep treading water with these types of acquisitions and they never tank so they never land those franchise course-altering prospects.

That said, that's not the only way to build a winner and often times doesn't work at all.

They do seem to be on the right path but they do not have a true #1 center on the roster or in their prospect pipeline and the same can be said for a true #1 defensemen. Those are crucial pieces they will need to contend and they will have a difficult time finding them.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I think the point he is making is that the Devils keep treading water with these types of acquisitions and they never tank so they never land those franchise course-altering prospects.

That said, that's not the only way to build a winner and often times doesn't work at all.

They do seem to be on the right path but they do not have a true #1 center on the roster or in their prospect pipeline and the same can be said for a true #1 defensemen. Those are crucial pieces they will need to contend and they will have a difficult time finding them.
Luckily they had Zajac and Henrique as their top centres in 2012. Same with Andy Greene.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

I get the point he's making and yes, Lou should've started the rebuild earlier but I'm sick of the posters that think the only way to build a successful team is to first tank for several years.

Shero has been taking a long-term approach with this team, which has gotten quite a bit younger since he took over.

Tanking to get a high pick certainly increases the chances of landing high level talent, but doesn't guarantee a thing. Look at the Oilers 2011-2012 season...their fanbase suffered through the 2nd worse finish in the league and even with a #1 overall pick, they have nothing to show for that draft.

Good teams are going to need to draft well overall, and it appears for now that the Devils have done that recently.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I get the point he's making and yes, Lou should've started the rebuild earlier but I'm sick of the posters that think the only way to build a successful team is to first tank for several years.

Shero has been taking a long-term approach with this team, which has gotten quite a bit younger since he took over.

Tanking to get a high pick certainly increases the chances of landing high level talent, but doesn't guarantee a thing. Look at the Oilers 2011-2012 season...their fanbase suffered through the 2nd worse finish in the league and even with a #1 overall pick, they have nothing to show for that draft.

Good teams are going to need to draft well overall, and it appears for now that the Devils have done that recently.

Devils have had those top picks though.

2011 - 4OA Larsson -> Hall
2013 - 9OA -> Schneider
2015 - 6OA Zacha

The Nylander and Marner picks were as much a direct result of managerial incompetence as those picks were.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Since 2008, three teams have won the cup: The Pens, the Hawks, the Kings, and the Bruins.

Bruins don't really follow the mold but the other three absolutely utilize top-of-the-draft talent: Crosby (1st OA), Malkin (2nd OA), Doughty (2nd OA), Kane (1st OA) are all vital cogs to their respective teams. Now replace them with guys who went 3rd-7th: let's say Pittsburgh takes Ladd instead of Malkin and Benoit Pouliot instead of Crosby. Los Angeles builds its defense around Luke Schenn, not Doughty. Chicago pairs Toews with Turris or Gagne instead of Kane. Do these teams still win a cup?

There's still a very good chance that the 1OA succeeds and develops into a much better player than guys like Zacha or Larsson. I mean, I can't begin to think how bad the Islanders would be right now if we had taken Evander Kane or Brayden Schenn in the draft instead of Tavares. Or how good we'd be if we ended up with Seguin over Nino, Landeskog over Strome, Ekblad over Dal Colle, etc.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Since 2008, three teams have won the cup: The Pens, the Hawks, the Kings, and the Bruins.

Bruins don't really follow the mold but the other three absolutely utilize top-of-the-draft talent: Crosby (1st OA), Malkin (2nd OA), Doughty (2nd OA), Kane (1st OA) are all vital cogs to their respective teams. Now replace them with guys who went 3rd-7th: let's say Pittsburgh takes Ladd instead of Malkin and Benoit Pouliot instead of Crosby. Los Angeles builds its defense around Luke Schenn, not Doughty. Chicago pairs Toews with Turris or Gagne instead of Kane. Do these teams still win a cup?

There's still a very good chance that the 1OA succeeds and develops into a much better player than guys like Zacha or Larsson. I mean, I can't begin to think how bad the Islanders would be right now if we had taken Evander Kane or Brayden Schenn in the draft instead of Tavares. Or how good we'd be if we ended up with Seguin over Nino, Landeskog over Strome, Ekblad over Dal Colle, etc.

Blah, blah, blah...Funny story most Devils fans I know don't give a crap about the Islanders (good or bad). Don't be salty Islanders' team management sucks. Tavares (1OA) and no cups.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Blah, blah, blah...Funny story most Devils fans I know don't give a crap about the Islanders (good or bad). Don't be salty Islanders' team management sucks. Tavares (1OA) and no cups.

Did you read what I wrote? I honestly have no idea how someone can get this offended by what I said.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

We have Hall (1OA). That's the same number of top picks as LA.

You also said three teams have won the cup since 2008, then listed four teams.

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011

:sarcasm:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Treading water? They were in the finals 4 years ago. This rebuild barely begun 2 season ago, Let's call it 3 for argument sake.

I would submit no team in the league would be in as good shape as the Devils are in right now if they lost a Martin Brodeur(Sure it was inevitable), Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk(plus all the assets associated with the penalty and the trade) all with the span of year of each other.

Parise and Kovalchuk set NJ back a few years and they without a doubt scrambled to find a solution...But it's coming along pretty well.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I think the center position will be fine, in all honesty.

Between Zacha, Henrique (especially paired with Hall), and Zajac, we should have a very solid center group. Zacha looks to be developing into a Kopitar-esque center in style of play so far. If he can become a dominant possession driving center -- even if it's likely not at Kopitars level -- then I don't think we will be too bad.

I will agree about the #1D, although Shero hasn't hesitated in using assets to bring in players. We acquired Hall for Larsson and Palmieri for two picks. Devils are developing a wealth of forward prospects right now, so I would imagine Shero is scouring the trade market trying to haul in a defender.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Everything is 20/20 in hindsight, for example:

NHL draft:

2005: James Neal instead of Nick Bergfors
Paul Stastny instead of Jeff Frazee
Keith Yandle instead of Mark Fraser

2006: Milan Lucic instead of Matt Corrente
Leo Komarov instead of Vladamir Zharkov

2007 Jamie Benn instead of Mike Hoffel

2008 John Carlson instead of Matt Tedenby
Brandon Hotby instead of Brandon Burlon

With just those our franchise would have had some great forwards, a pair of good D and a replacement for Brodeur. Schneider trade would have never been necessary.

Was it Lou's fault? or his scouts who didn't pick up on those guys that a lot of other teams didn't pick up on either?

Tanking for those good picks to hope you pick the right person is not the right answer either, because you never know where those stars are going to come from.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
#1. He's slow
#2. He's a liability defensively
#3. He was outplayed by two 19 year olds in preseason

There's 3 reasons for you which were on full display during the last preseason game against Washington.

Not concerned with #3. Probably assumed roster spot was relatively safe. Don't care what anyone says, it's human nature to take your foot off the gas in meaningless games. On the otherhand, those games were extremely important for the kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad