Confirmed with Link: P.A Parenteau Bought Out

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Maybe. But MB has also made some good moves too.

All I'm saying is that we should at least wait and see what he does before final judgement. That's what I said when the offseason began and I'm sticking to it. He's off to a good start with Petry, now let's see what he does with the top six.

If it's another middling forward... then we can be upset. But I'm not going to get upset at what he might do... there's no sense in doing that.

Right. So how are we worse for having made this move? I don't see it.

I don't either.. we improved the team simply by not having PAP on it any longer.

Nynja*

Dave Stubbs ✔ @Dave_Stubbs
#Habs GM Bergevin on Parenteau buyout: "It was a difficult decision to make but we feel it gives us more flexibility as we continue..." 1/2

Dave Stubbs ✔ @Dave_Stubbs
#Habs Bergevin on Parenteau: "...to improve our club and provide our young prospects with an opportunity to earn a spot on our roster." 2/2

I just woke up, so if someone made this joke, sorry

This is the perfect time to sign MSL and give our youth a chance to earn a spot on the St John roster!!

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Why do people keep saying Parenteau was misused? He had first dibs on the line that, according to everyone, gets the easy matchups, favourable zone starts and excess of powerplay time.

He plain wasn't good enough.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Gilbert is movable. He's not a bad defenseman and can help a mid-lower tier team. He's a better defenseman than Gryba... Don't understand why Bergevin couldn't move him. Give Tinordi his 6/7 spot.

With that space plus with what we already have we can sign someone.

Trade him back to Edmonton.

The Cole trade was good because Cole was on the downswing and we got Ryder who was the superior player on a terminating contract.

While it's great to look at how well Cole did this year let's not forget he had 13 points in 47 games, followed by 29 in 75 and then 39 in 68.

He has a solid bounce back year but the problem wasn't trading him for Ryder and a pick. The problem was signing Briere afterwards and then getting PAP.

No trading Cole was bad cause he was good with us. Just trading players for cap space when they are playing good hockey is stupid. Cole was providing tons of combativity and leadership on the first two lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Gilbert slots in as the #6 d-man next season, and really seemed to be signed as a stop gap to offset the "loss" of Gorges and provide some semblance of veteran depth to the line up.

With the addition of Petry he's not as necessary as he was last July.

Not sure if Pateryn can be the teams' every night #6 d-man, but he has a one way contract and a pretty team favourable cap hit.

Never said Gilbert was awful anyways, he could have gotten the team a decent mid round pick (still could) and created more space than Parenteaus' buy out, without leaving dead cap on the books next year as well.

Also, as I already mentioned, Parenteaus' presence in the organization would not hinder any young players on any level. The 925K in cap space they'd get from sending him to the minors would have been more than enough to fit in a young player.

And if the goal is to go after another player, the 2.667 created is not going to get anyone worth mentioning anyways.

So waht was the point of the buy out again?

Create cap space for a UFA signing? Not a good one.
Create roster room for a young player? 100% unnecessary

What a "shock" you left Cole off of your list of RW's when Bergevin was hired.

Almost like you were so desperate to prove a point that you misrepresented the facts or something. ;)

Except they traded their own 5th round pick in the 2015 draft, so they didn't have a bonus 5th anyways.

And a 5th round pick isn't even close to being worth 1.333 in dead cap space for 2 seasons.
You misrepresented the facts when you said Bergevin had dessimated our right side, which is absolutely false. Sorry, but Gallagher on right side is a lot better than Cole on right side, Cole polluted that room like a leaky oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, you saw the RW list I typed out for you, besides Gionta, the worst RW we have today is better then the best RW on that list. Gallagher, Weise, Scherbak, McCarron, hell, I'll even throw in DSP, they are all upgrades at RW when compared to that sorry looking list of pre Bergevin RW...you're so busy bashing everything Canadiens all the time that you have to make up stuff to prove a point. You're argument now is Cole, the RW of the future for the Canadiens......what a joke!

HabsDieHard*

Why do people keep saying Parenteau was misused? He had first dibs on the line that, according to everyone, gets the easy matchups, favourable zone starts and excess of powerplay time.

He plain wasn't good enough.

Because that line was never going to work.

Just like Pacioretty-Desharnais-Briere was never going to work.

And just like with Briere, the moment it was realized that he wasn't a fit on that line he spent the rest of his tenure with the team hopping around from one line to another.

67 Pacioretty 51 Desharnais 15 Parenteau 270:21 225:05 45:16 0:00 +2

Despite the fact that they went away from that line fairly early on in the season it still was Parenteaus' most common line for the year.

Parenteau, through his entire career, has had success playing on teams' top lines with their best offensive players.

He did it with Tavares in New York, and with Duchene in Colorado.

The problem in Montreal was that the small, soft centerman on the line wasn't anywhere near good enough to achieve the results they wanted.

Because on a line iwth Pacioretty-Desharnais, the other winger needs to provide a physical and gritty presence, which Parenteau obviously cannot do.

Parenteaus' second most common line, Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau was again a line that anyone could have seen would not work.

Desharnais gets top line minutes, gets to play with this teams' best forward for the majority of his time at ES...does that mean he's not misused? No, of coures not.

He's completely misused, though for different reaosns than Parenteau was.

The other troubling issue is that once again it seems as though the GM has catered to the coach. A coach who has time and time and time again throughout his career displayed an inability to be able to get the best out of the vast majority of his players.

Either way, what's done is done.

Bergevin made 2 big mistakes and this team will be dealing with 1.3333 in dead cap space this year and next.

Unlike others, I simply refuse to praise him for "Fixing" his own mistake, when it hinders the team the next 2 years. Even if 1.3333 isn't a huge number it's still one worth mentioning.

Nynja*

No trading Cole was bad cause he was good with us. Just trading players for cap space when they are playing good hockey is stupid. Cole was providing tons of combativity and leadership on the first two lines.

2011-12 33 MTL NHL 82 35 26 61 <- Good
2012-13 34 MTL NHL 19 3 3 6 <- Not good at all, by any stretch of imagination

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I dunno, maybe a move that doesn't involve creating 1.3333 in dead cap space for this year and next at the position they are weakest at would be an option.

Whether or not Parenteau was a top 6 RW or not is irrelevant. On the Habs he was pretty clearly their 2nd best RW.

And, the cap space created really isn't that substantial anyways.
So 2.6million created on the cap is irrelevant but the 1.3million dead cap is a problem??...there you go again on your crusade to bash Bergevin...PAP second best RW on our team..LOL......C'mon man, you gotta stop reaching

This is what happens when you're a cap team, once in a while you'll get burnt and you'll have to buy someone out, even the great L.A Kings had to do it, Boston has to carry Marc Savard's contract around there neck, same with Philly with Pronger, Chicago may have to do it...this happens to many good teams, now it's just Montreal's turn, you make it sound like this is an isolated incident and Bergevin looks like a doofus for doing it....

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

He finished that year with 47GP, 9G, 4A, 13PTS with a -6 rating.

His next year was 75GP, 16G, 13A, 29PTS -17

Ryder gave us 27GP, 10G, 11A, 21PTS -2

And we got a 3rd.

It was a good move. We just botched it afterwards by getting Briere.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not sure how PAP was misused. A big chunk of his TOI was PP time. He got good linemates but didn't show much.

Regarding him & Briere.

Briere: Bought out by Philly despite being fan favorite. Can't produce in montreal therefore he must be misused. Goes to Colorado with better centers and produces even less.

PAP: Was in Colorado's doghouse. Traded to us and unfortunately suffered a few injuries that derailed him. His ice time per game decreased but his general effectiveness was questionable. Weise did better as a top line RW at ES. It's a combination of things for PAP but it's not all misuse. He never earned more TOI and was a lock on PP so...

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Parenteau was not our second best rw I'm sorry. Weise is a better fit in our top six (despite being more of a third liner) and pap is not a bottom six player. He just wasn't a fit. This is the right move.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think MB might fill some roster spots with young guys already in the organization. I saw the Frolik thread but somehow I just don't see it. I wonder with PA why he didn't give it more effort, he looked lazy to me, plenty of skill but no heart or physicality for an NHLer. He has a good shot and should be a 25 goal man but he has suffered concussions and maybe theirs more about him than we know. It is definitely addition by subtraction with PA, give his spot to a young guy and we have some that can do it. Bye bye Parenteau, you join a long list of forgettable hab players in the last 20years.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Not sure how PAP was misused. A big chunk of his TOI was PP time. He got good linemates but didn't show much.

Regarding him & Briere.

Briere: Bought out by Philly despite being fan favorite. Can't produce in montreal therefore he must be misused. Goes to Colorado with better centers and produces even less.

PAP: Was in Colorado's doghouse. Traded to us and unfortunately suffered a few injuries that derailed him. His ice time per game decreased but his general effectiveness was questionable. Weise did better as a top line RW at ES. It's a combination of things for PAP but it's not all misuse. He never earned more TOI and was a lock on PP so...
Agreed. He had his chances. I don't like MT, but he have him the opportunity. PAP was just awful.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Briere sucked balls. Parenteau sucked balls. Both are now unemployed.

Good on MT to have the guts to drop the guy, though. Maybe there's still hope that Desharnais is gone by training camp!?!

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Is he representing anyone else on the team? We need to keep this guy around for entertainment value.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Regarding him & Briere.

Not that he was lights out....but we had nothing else. And yet...we decided to stick with nothing. PAP was the natural scorer despite struggling immensely. There's just no need to go with Weise or DSP when NOTHING was going to work for the long run. I'm CLEARLY not a PAP fan. But if you have to die...die with what can work. Not with what had no chance to work.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not that he was lights out....but we had nothing else. And yet...we decided to stick with nothing. PAP was the natural scorer despite struggling immensely. There's just no need to go with Weise or DSP when NOTHING was going to work for the long run. I'm CLEARLY not a PAP fan. But if you have to die...die with what can work. Not with what had no chance to work.

Like Andrighetto?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad