Confirmed with Link: Pär Lindholm for Nic Petan

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That must explain why the Leafs are having their best season in over 15 years. It's because Babcock is a horrible coach! It all makes sense now...
You are quoting the part I was quoting. The focus is that if a player is being benched for someone who works hard work harder.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
"This is just vintage Babs though.

He's the type of coach who will sit better players because he's in love with a terrible player's work ethic. Look at Connor Brown, for example. There is no way he should be playing over Petan or Gauthier, but because Babcock likes that he works hard, he gets in the lineup every game."
This is a much easier problem to remedy than most. If coaches like players that work hard, than work harder. It's an easier fix than say not having the natural hand-eye-coordination or speed to play in the NHL.
@Jets4Life notice the quotation marks in the first post. The bold was my response about Babcock.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Petan was on the ice for 5:31 tonight. Also 3 goals against...
Just went to look this up on Natural Stat Trick and the shift charts show Petan played a single shift after his line got scored on for the Hawks 5th goal mid way through the 2nd. It doesn't look like Babs thought he was part of the solution as the Leafs rallied at that point to score 4 straight.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Meh, neither him nor Lindholm are regulars on a good team. Neither will likely be in the NHL for long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: iannn

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Meh, neither him nor Lindholm are regulars on a good team. Neither will likely be in the NHL for long.
Dubas extended Petan for two more years. Dubas likes him, and obviously thinks he can get more out of him when the Cap crunch hits.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Petan may get a spot to replace Ennis.

I'm more surprised Petan signed than the Leafs wanted to sign him. They have money problems

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Dubas extended Petan for two more years. Dubas likes him, and obviously thinks he can get more out of him when the Cap crunch hits.
I think that is far more a product of terrible roster management than Nic Petan earning his spot as an NHL regular.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not sure if Petan is going to flourish on a 4th line with Gauthier and some other replacement level player. Maybe Petan gets a shot in the top 9 next season, but it seems unlikely if Babcock is the coach.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not sure if Petan is going to flourish on a 4th line with Gauthier and some other replacement level player. Maybe Petan gets a shot in the top 9 next season, but it seems unlikely if Babcock is the coach.
There would need to be some roster turnover for that to happen, me thinks. Trading one or two of Kapanen/Johnsson/Nylander would help. Maybe they dump Marleau and/or Brown. Maybe Dubas fires Babcock and gets himself a coach that doesn't waste a line's worth of forwards.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I'd be mad at any GM guaranteeing a spot to Petan.

I would want him to earn it, which he may.
I'm thinking that with some of the turnover they'll have this off season, a bottom 6 roster spot going into camp might be his to lose.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I'm thinking that with some of the turnover they'll have this off season, a bottom 6 roster spot going into camp might be his to lose.
Might be.

Is he a bottom six type of guy? Guess it depends on who he is playing with.

I would say unlikely

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Petan will be in the top 6 for the Leafs because Dubas overpaid Marner , Nylander and Matthews.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There would need to be some roster turnover for that to happen, me thinks. Trading one or two of Kapanen/Johnsson/Nylander would help. Maybe they dump Marleau and/or Brown. Maybe Dubas fires Babcock and gets himself a coach that doesn't waste a line's worth of forwards.
You have to think that is the plan. the TML need someone cheap and skilled to shove in their top 6 as they are going to have to unload one of their stars - that JT contract continues to baffle me.

That could be a perfect scenario for Nic, playing consistently with some elite skill. I think that's his sweet spot for success in the NHL.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Might be.

Is he a bottom six type of guy? Guess it depends on who he is playing with.

I would say unlikely
Not really. Honestly, he might do well with a couple of really talented wingers. It's just that he's never had the chance to show that because he's been in the Jets organization. There's never been an opening for him in the top 6, because there's always been superior players ahead of him in the depth chart.

Reactions: Cellee

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't think they'd trade any of the three you listed unless it's a great deal for them on defence. Two of them were just re-signed this season.

Marleau may end up being bought out. He hasn't been the same this year compared to last.

Not sure Babcock gets fired but there's an obvious disconnect with him and Dubas. Should be a good off-season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Contrary to popular belief. I really don't think teams are beating down the door to get Petan. Every team has at least 1 like him.
Agreed. I'm guessing Petan jumped at a 2 year deal. I was kind of surprised the Leafs signed him now and not look around a little more in the off season. I was thinking he'd end up somewhere in Europe next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad