Owners are the leaders, don't shove the blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
You can debate about the players being greedy, and look at all the money they have. But it is all very simple to me at least. The owners have the power. If they had shown restraint in their spending and stayed within their own budgets instead of spending out of control, we would not be here now. They themselves bid the market prices up. The owners need to realize that the buck stops with them. They own the teams. They are the ones who need a cap. And I think the players have some right to feel the way they do. The owners are shoving all the blame onto them. I am not saying that some of the players are not in excess. But we all need to step back here and look at who has the reins. The owners did it to themselves. I don’t think a deal will get done until they look at themselves and take some of the blame and say, look, we overspent ourselves in the past, lets sit down and look how we can stay within budget in the future. And if the only way they can do that is to have a cap, then so be it. Be they need to acknowledge that they overspent. It’s very simple to me.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
TOGLIATTI said:
You can debate about the players being greedy, and look at all the money they have. But it is all very simple to me at least. The owners have the power. If they had shown restraint in their spending and stayed within their own budgets instead of spending out of control, we would not be here now. They themselves bid the market prices up. The owners need to realize that the buck stops with them. They own the teams. They are the ones who need a cap. And I think the players have some right to feel the way they do. The owners are shoving all the blame onto them. I am not saying that some of the players are not in excess. But we all need to step back here and look at who has the reins. The owners did it to themselves. I don’t think a deal will get done until they look at themselves and take some of the blame and say, look, we overspent ourselves in the past, lets sit down and look how we can stay within budget in the future. And if the only way they can do that is to have a cap, then so be it. Be they need to acknowledge that they overspent. It’s very simple to me.

Owners have said that.

soilwork2004

Nov 18, 2004

many people have tried to push this viewpoint but lets remember the power that the players hold. paul kariya holds out cause he wants X amount of money. the struggling mighty ducks team needs their star player back cause the team is doing poorly on the ice and at the gate so they take a risk and sign him to a contract that is slightly more than he should get. suddenly the entire pay structure of the nhl has been increased. now when someone else is looking for a new contract they can compare to what people like paul kariya are getting. i understand why you are making your claim but if you think realistically sometimes owners/gms are handcuffed to sign a player and it drives up the price dramatically. the only thing to stop this spiral effect is a salary cap/luxery tax with teeth.

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
soilwork2004 said:
paul kariya holds out cause he wants X amount of money.

There it is right there. If he wants X amount and you have only Y to spend, you don’t pay X. Don’t pay more than your budget. Tell him, we have Y amount to pay you. If you want to play on a fiscally responsible team that is serious about winning, this is what we have. If it’s all about money for him, do you really want him on your team? If the owners did that, they would set their own market. Let Jagr go to Europe, if he cant get his money in the NHL. Why would NY sign him and go farther into debt?

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
soilwork2004 said:
many people have tried to push this viewpoint but lets remember the power that the players hold. paul kariya holds out cause he wants X amount of money. the struggling mighty ducks team needs their star player back cause the team is doing poorly on the ice and at the gate so they take a risk and sign him to a contract that is slightly more than he should get. suddenly the entire pay structure of the nhl has been increased. now when someone else is looking for a new contract they can compare to what people like paul kariya are getting. i understand why you are making your claim but if you think realistically sometimes owners/gms are handcuffed to sign a player and it drives up the price dramatically. the only thing to stop this spiral effect is a salary cap/luxery tax with teeth.

Furthermore, lets not forget to ask why the owners need to continue to be in a position where salaries continue to climb. And let's not excuse the players in this. They can't possibly be as dumb as they seem to want us to think. Simple math and esimates (I know most only have a grade school education so this may be too involved for them) can give them a pretty good idea of what teams are bringing in. When they compare this with the team payroll, operating and travel expenses etc. they can't help but realize that there isn't much left.

Lastly, why are the owners villified for trying to make as much as they can? That is why they are in business. Their first priority should be to find a way to make as much money as possible. Legally, they owe that to their stockholders.

Throughout the last CBA, they were in the exact opposite position. The employees held the power and leverage. They had 10 good years of having their bosses over a barrel. Now the owners want a turn and the players are so spoiled and entitled that they just don't want to give up their power even when it is clear that they are no longer in a position of strength even though it will (has) cost them millions.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
TOGLIATTI said:
There it is right there. If he wants X amount and you have only Y to spend, you don’t pay X. Don’t pay more than your budget. Tell him, we have Y amount to pay you. If you want to play on a fiscally responsible team that is serious about winning, this is what we have. If it’s all about money for him, do you really want him on your team? If the owners did that, they would set their own market. Let Jagr go to Europe. Why would NY sign him and go farther into debt?

Why would Jagr have gone to Europe when he could go to arbitration and get his money or his UFAs status?

PhillyNucksFan

Dec 27, 2002
Philadelphia
TOGLIATTI said:

Huh? A cap for the Owners?? are you suggesting the owners should be playing on ice?? lol

Cap for owners is the same cap for the players man..

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
The owners can acknowledge its their mistake until the cows come home but the fact is that its an inflationary system, and the other 3 major sports leagues have proved that.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
No one is to blame. The NHL put a system in with weaknesses, and for that they should get their share. The players exploited the system just like any good capitalist would. Same with their agents. Bettman may have knew about the weakness of the system, but the gun was put to his head to play hockey. The large markets want to win so they buy talent. The small ones would have done the same if they had the revenue.

No one is to blame... and quite frankly, after 6 months, haven't we gotten past pointing fingers. Fact is, this needs to be fixed and will be in due time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad