Pre-Game Talk: Ovi and the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I have a feeling that WSH will be the team we're battling for 1st by the end of the year. They have tons of talent and will be pretty driven knowing they can gain 4 on us.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Pre-game Audio

Coach-Noel-post-practice-March-2013-300x224.jpg

Coach Noel - Having the Jets staying on task. What is Coach Noel’s blueprint for keeping his team staying on task? (funny response by coach). Little/Ladd/Wheeler line an unquestioned 1st line. If things aren’t going well for that line do they need to be corrected or can they guide their own path? Playing same team at the National Hockey League level is unusual, his thoughts. Going back to Moose days, was difficult to sweep a back-to-back, still the case? Al Montoya’s status “getting close”. Thoughts on Burmistrov’s game. Does decision on giving Pavelec a break rest on Montoya’s status?

To listen click here.

Zach-Bogosian-March-2013-300x224.jpg

Ondrej Pavelec - Is he ready to go? Handling the rigors of all this play? Thoughts on playing last night against a tough Bruins team. Does the team need to discuss importance of playing Capitals? What does it mean to control your own destiny? Difference between the team this year and last.

Zach Bogosian - Play of Pavelec. Does Pavelec deserve Hart Trophy consideration? Maintaining focus. Does the team need to discuss importance of upcoming week? Manner in which the Jets have been playing. Importance of last night’s game.

Blake Wheeler - Focus each game. How often does he check the standings? Does this team play differently when they know they determine their own fate? Difference between the way they play this year versus last year. Comfort level this year on the 1st line? Energizing the group.

Andrew Ladd - How this team has been winning games. Difference between the team this year and last. Are the Jets playing differently because they have playoff positioning? Different feeling this season about getting into playoffs? Pavelec deserves Hart trophy consideration?

To listen click here.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
I would not take Washington lightly. The Caps were hurting for a long time.
They had 25% of their starting team out with injuries until this week.
Their #1 d-man Mike Green might be back, he is making the trip.
They just got back Jack Hillen and Dmitiri Orlov on D who have missed the whole
season.

Two top 6 forwards Marcus Johansson who just came back and Brooks Laich who only
played his first game yesterday.

People keep talking about Florida and Carolina with injuries but the Caps were
missing 2 of their top 3 D and 2 of their top 6 forwards for a good chunk of the season.

They had to use 12 different D this year with all the injuries.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I have a feeling that WSH will be the team we're battling for 1st by the end of the year. They have tons of talent and will be pretty driven knowing they can gain 4 on us.

The CAps would have to go something like 14-5 to finish up the season to have a realistic chance to make the playoffs. They are not anywhere nearly good enough to do that.
I would be surprised if they go 0.500 for the rest of the season.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Not if we beat them twice this week.

The CAps would have to go something like 14-5 to finish up the season to have a realistic chance to make the playoffs. They are not anywhere nearly good enough to do that.
I would be surprised if they go 0.500 for the rest of the season.

Very true. I stand corrected.

They just seem like they're coming around and these games are going to be tough.

FBS

Sep 6, 2011
I sure hope Montoya is ready to play by Friday... I see Bad Things happening if Pavelec has to start back-to-back games again.

I'm feeling pretty good about tomorrow's game at least

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Haha. No, I was kidding about the chant. I shoulda used a :sarcasm:. Probably shouldn't have said it at all. Someone will probably try to get it started. :laugh:

No worries I totally got that you were joking but like you said someone is probably going to start it now. :laugh: I might have to sell my ticket if word gets out. :scared:

RonJon

May 18, 2011
Before tomorrow night..... Holds Nose....Closes Eyes... Swallows....Deep Breath..... GO LEAFS GO.......

#$%@#$%@$^$%^ I Feel so Dirty :soap:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Here's a good break down of the Caps play-off chances I found on one of their threads.

"Best case scenario: Winnipeg, Carolina, and Tampa all lose all of their games except the head-to-head ones, which don't go into overtime. Washington wins all their games.

WSH: 29 GP, 25 pts --> 48 GP, 63 pts
WPG: 30 GP, 34 pts --> 43 GP, 34 pts
CAR: 29 GP, 32 pts --> 43 GP, 32 pts
TBL: 29 GP, 27 pts --> 44 GP, 27 pts

So it's possible still... but now let's look at a more realistic scenario: WPG, CAR, TBL all crash and burn, losing 2/3 of their games (with no overtime points) excluding the head-to-head games. WSH tears it up, winning 2/3 of their games.

WSH: 29 GP, 25 pts --> 48 GP, 49 pts
WPG: 30 GP, 34 pts --> 43 GP, 46 pts
CAR: 29 GP, 32 pts --> 43 GP, 44 pts
TBL: 29 GP, 27 pts --> 44 GP, 39 pts

Not looking so good. In fact, out of the Winnipeg/Carolina head-to-head games, Winnipeg would have to get exactly 2 points and Carolina exactly 4, with Tampa winning ALL of the head-to-head games against both."

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Not sure which team will show up - mail-it-in Dr. Jekyll from the Ottawa game, or lazy Mr. Hyde from the Bruins game.

Hopefully the Pavelec we saw against the Bruins decides to play. The Jets are going to burn-out their goaltender if he has to keep playing like he has the last several games though, and then he'll be done by the play-offs. He needs more support, like, say, oh I don't know, CLEARING THE OPPOSITION FROM JUST OUTSIDE THE PAINT. Oh, and also, making sure clearing attempts, ACTUALLY CLEAR THE FRIGGIN' ZONE. The Caps have some big boys to park low in the slot, looking for tips and screening the goalie. Let's make sure Pavs has some space and sight lines, mmmmmkay? And keep the creative guys out along the boards, and don't allow the freewheeling that Ovi is capable of at any give moment.

Speaking of down low, can we move Joki there for the PP - the Jets have a few D-men with far better cannons from the point, and he's a really big body that should be screening and looking for tip-ins. If the PP unit has Joki, Ladd and Wheels/Kane up front with Bogo (or Enstrom when he returns) and Buff out on the points, that's a mighty fearsome first PP unit. Especially considering that Joki and Wheels are decent at covering the point when Buff goes rogue, the Jets could have several big men down low causing much havoc. Really, when you evaluate what the Jets have available for first unit pp it should be in the top half of the stats, not near the bottom.

That's all I've got.

Oh, and I'm wearing my new Kane jersey to the game, so let us pray it's a harbinger of a Kane hatty (I'll take the default hatty, or a Gordie Howe hatty, I'm not too fussy about which one i see) tomorrow.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Did I read that right? Hart Trophy consideration? Alright, Pavs has been good but lets not go crazy here.

no kidding. Bogo and Ladd were both kinda stunned but they can't say "no he doesn't deserve it". Kind of boxed them into a corner with that one.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Did I read that right? Hart Trophy consideration? Alright, Pavs has been good but lets not go crazy here.

I kind of took a double take on that one. Kind of wonder about some of the media here...sometimes I doubt these guys even watch the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia