OVG submits bid to (re-)build Seattle Memorial Stadium

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Played football state playoffs game there in high school.

Most people always have the same opinion of it and it's all negative until finishing that they like the history/tradition of it and like being able to say they played there.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Kind of wish the Reign had their own place that, at the end of the season, doesn’t have beaten down turf that inevitably happens with multiple football games. The memorial of the stadium is for students and, as such, it’d be sort of sacrilege to change the theme of the place.

But what interests OVG here? And $250 million is quite extreme for the purpose, though there are complications at the site that are easy to envision being more complicated than the average rebuild. Something bugs me about the proposal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kind of wish the Reign had their own place that, at the end of the season, doesn’t have beaten down turf that inevitably happens with multiple football games. The memorial of the stadium is for students and, as such, it’d be sort of sacrilege to change the theme of the place.

But what interests OVG here? And $250 million is quite extreme for the purpose, though there are complications at the site that are easy to envision being more complicated than the average rebuild. Something bugs me about the proposal.
One has to wonder what the financial upside is for OVG? Neither the Hawks or Sounders would play there. Capacity is quite small so where is the ROI on this project?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
A bookface discussion of the article points out that the acoustics of the place are lousy. I think I know why. In other words, it’ll have outdoor summer concerts along with fall HS football, and they’re paying a wee bit of lip service to the Seawolves (I wonder about playoff dates) and total lip service to the Reign. Otherwise, the proposed rebuild would be the perfect size for the Reign.

Mind you, I did once see Sammy Sounder rollerblading on the old turf in that place. My particular bias is to cringe at the notion that people can use an outdoor surface 300 times a year without eventually doing harm to someone.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
The city needs housing, not another stupid stadium that sits empty for 300 days a year.
Saw Soundgarden at Memorial a few times so there is some nostalgia.
But there is a massive disconnect between reality and whatever the "elites" are smoking.
Nobody cares about the Seattle Reign FFS.
But we are all tired of tents and feces and fentanyl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad