Overwatch - Part 3 - Rise of the Robot

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Watching Stanky's stream of him playing with the changes.

There is no way this sticks as is. Lucio basically has the mobility of Genji in total mayhem with unlimited dashes.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Also reduced radius but increased healing means Lucio replaces Ana for triple tank...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Watching Stanky's stream of him playing with the changes.

There is no way this sticks as is. Lucio basically has the mobility of Genji in total mayhem with unlimited dashes.

We said that about Bastion. We said that about D.Va 2.0

The question isn't if it sticks, it's how long before blizzard caves into the outcry of players.

Watching some stuff on it now and it's absolutely absurd.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Winston, Rein, Orisa, Bastion, Lucio, Mercy...
That could be a pain to kill with all the shields and healing...

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
yoooooo Im gonna hit GM because of these changes

my jukes will be unstoppable and even more healing? **** yes Im so stoked. I can literally just play like a DPS

-playing like stanky
-actually healing/speed boosting your team

pick one

Also reduced radius but increased healing means Lucio replaces Ana for triple tank...

Yeah I think this promotes more boring playstyles.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Well, the inevitable solo queue losing spiral has begun.
Got within a couple wins of 2000sr, and then a 3 game losing streak and now seem to be losing 2 for every 1 win. :rant:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
-playing like stanky
-actually healing/speed boosting your team

pick one

Yeah I think this promotes more boring playstyles.

My solo kills were top 5 on PS4 as Lucio last season iirc but the games where I get very high eliminations 45-60 I did it because I'm brawling. I play in the middle of our team or on the frontlines. I shoot where my teammates are shooting or call shots to focus, that way I'm contributing on every kill and the other team is getting focussed down. If I'm feeling cocky about my jukes I might play up a bit and distract fire from the other team instead of my squishies, because I can take some shots and then burn and selfheal. I was doing some thought experiments in comp yesterday and the majority of the fights where I wasn't trying to flank or diving with my flankers (so much fun to dive as Lucio with a good Genji) I was within 10-20M of my teammates at all times. The AoE healing/speed lasts for a second after I switch or leave range so as long as I'm darting around our team I can do probably the same healing as I could before because of the increase.

The point is its about not being static, need to be in and out with the team and reading/communicating. No more satellite-control tower Lucio play, not to mention how much more effective the playstyle I use for Lucio is now as an individual.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Lucio healing faster in a smaller radius will make him more versatile for good players because you'll have to play within view of those that need healing and you'll heal them quicker, so you can hop around to someone else that needs assistance. Instead of just watching your team fall to damage attrition unable to heal at any rate that is useful.

I typically play aggressively, so the only downside for me is that I tend to be on the point or the other team's back lines and can't heal from that distance. Not sure how this will affect my game play yet. The amount of Lucio POTG I got last season was absurb, didn't even main him (#3 I think?) but he monopolized my POTGs.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753657091#post-1
When patch 1.9 releases tomorrow, Orisa will not initially be available for Competitive Play. We want to give players some time to learn about and play Orisa before she's placed into the crucible of Competitive Play.

She'll still be immediately available in Quick Play, the Arcade (including custom games with the competitive ruleset), and Play vs. AI.

:handclap: Blizzard is learning.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Well, the inevitable solo queue losing spiral has begun.
Got within a couple wins of 2000sr, and then a 3 game losing streak and now seem to be losing 2 for every 1 win. :rant:

That's unfortunately the essence of competitive. Keep at it, eventually you'll go on a 10-15 game winning streak, climb 1-2 ranks, then lose another 5 in a row. It's infuriating. :laugh:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Orisia will apparently be disabled for the first week of her being out in competitive mode.

Look at Blizzard, they're learning. :sarcasm:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
That's unfortunately the essence of competitive. Keep at it, eventually you'll go on a 10-15 game winning streak, climb 1-2 ranks, then lose another 5 in a row. It's infuriating. :laugh:

Yep, I have found that almost all of my major climbs have come from 10-15 game winning streaks followed by some stagnation. Sometimes it just clicks, but when it does and you play (even if you're losing) at the higher level you realize that it's a whole lot easier to win where you were before. Just gotta keep playing and developing your game.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Most Lucio players do not and are not skilled enough to play like a Stanky.

This is a nerf to most players, since the range difference means they'll have to actually move their ***** to heal players. But they will heal players more, so that makes up for that. It's a good middle ground.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Most Lucio players do not and are not skilled enough to play like a Stanky.

This is a nerf to most players, since the range difference means they'll have to actually move their ***** to heal players. But they will heal players more, so that makes up for that. It's a good middle ground.

All it takes is practice, difference between Stanky and the average Lucio player is about 400 hours playtime and the initiative to play that style.

Took me about 140 hours on Lucio last season when I started maining him now I'd say I can use a lot of Stanky's routes and moves that he does frequently on the various maps.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
All it takes is practice, difference between Stanky and the average Lucio player is about 400 hours playtime and the initiative to play that style.

Took me about 140 hours on Lucio last season when I started maining him now I'd say I can use a lot of Stanky's routes and moves that he does frequently on the various maps.

So by around the start of season 7 comp I should be there :p

Did the Lucio changes go through as is and make it in today's patch? Or is today just adding Orisa and the ironclad nerf?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Okay. Found patch notes.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753508356

So Ana nerf, Zen buff (though no mention of orbs through shields), Winston buff, Bastion nerf, Junkrat buff, Zarya nerf, and Sombra all went through.

Plus tracking Mercy damage buff as a stat.
Wish they'd track shield generator blocking as shields provided, or show shield generator uptime as a stat for symmetra

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Actually finding not too much to complain about with this patch. More good than bad IMO certainly....

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Managed to get a quick play in with Orisa....
Trying to decide when and how best to place ult is a bit of a trick when pushing an attack.
Also, her survivability actually feels lower than I expected it to be.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Yeah this patch hasn't effected much negatively for me either, as a Sombra fan I'm finding her much more enjoyable to play, the quieter slip into and out of invisibility is nice for aggressive play while hacked health packs being visible through walls is nice for teamplay. Also, Orisa is a ton of fun to play, almost feels overpowered though.

One bad/weird thing is the music glitch on consoles...the silence during hero selection and at the end of games in downright weird...luckily I still have music during the title screen and menus, unlike some. I am sure the music glitch will be fixed soon though, feels like a quick fix

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah this patch hasn't effected much negatively for me either, as a Sombra fan I'm finding her much more enjoyable to play, the quieter slip into and out of invisibility is nice for aggressive play while hacked health packs being visible through walls is nice for teamplay. Also, Orisa is a ton of fun to play, almost feels overpowered though.

One bad/weird thing is the music glitch on consoles...the silence during hero selection and at the end of games in downright weird...luckily I still have music during the title screen and menus, unlike some. I am sure the music glitch will be fixed soon though, feels like a quick fix

Yeah, I noticed the lack of music as well. Was weird

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Things I've learned playing Orisa:
1. You can place both her ult and her shield on a payload so it moves with the group.
2. You can fire her graviton ball without pausing your primary fire. This is good to pull a clump of people together if your aim is bad like mine on console :laugh:
3. Her bullets are a bit slow and don't hurt quite enough individually to really deal with Pharah solo on console (at least not for me).
4. Small spread means dealing with Symmetra turrets can be a pain.
5. People don't recognize her as an anchor tank yet, so you can't really herd cats in solo queue with her like you can with Rein or even Winston.
6. Graviton will shift a turret version of Bastion
7. May have been my aim (depth perception), but I didn't have much luck in the few instances I tried pulling people off ledges
8. Graviton is nice to shift a Pharah off course though if you can get that down.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm curious to see what works best with her halt ability in terms of ultimate synergy.

It's a pretty short window of time in which the enemy stays grouped up so i can't see it being used in a conventional manner like an actual Graviton. I think it would probably work very well with Pharah since her ult pumps out insane damage given the duration.

I also had a theory in the short time i played with her that it could be a great bait tool. Fire the alt fire to see if you can bait out a defensive ult from the enemy and then hit them with like, an actual graviton to set up a wipe. Mind games type deal.

Interesting kit nonetheless. Not really a fan of how slow she is when she fires her weapon, but eh.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I'm curious to see what works best with her halt ability in terms of ultimate synergy.

It's a pretty short window of time in which the enemy stays grouped up so i can't see it being used in a conventional manner like an actual Graviton. I think it would probably work very well with Pharah since her ult pumps out insane damage given the duration.

I also had a theory in the short time i played with her that it could be a great bait tool. Fire the alt fire to see if you can bait out a defensive ult from the enemy and then hit them with like, an actual graviton to set up a wipe. Mind games type deal.

Interesting kit nonetheless. Not really a fan of how slow she is when she fires her weapon, but eh.

Shocked, given your avatar haha

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Timing it with DVa as well is good for pulling people back into LOS.

Or grab a couple people at the edge of a Mei or Zarya ult.

I don't see it as being a way to pull out a defensive ult, except maybe in higher level play where the amount of coordination required might mean it's a precursor to an attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad