Value of: Overpriced Top 4 Defense

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Flames are going to have a lot of cap space and I don't want Kylington to get thrown to the wolves. Who could they target?

Now I don't want to pay anything, ideally Calgary would actually get something back. Just a dependable #4/#5 that is paid more than he should be for the year.

I thought we'd have gotten Tyler Myers back in the trades with Vancouver actually. He'd be perfect but seems like Vancouver is keeping him, and he's injured.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Instead of overpaid filler, why not get guys who aren't going to get serious chances on their current teams?

Jordan Harris in Montreal just needs ice time.

EDIT: Does Calgary have any prospects/young forwards who have middle-six potential, and that Calgary just can't give enough icetime to ? A flip for Harris could be a fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyne

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Pointless. All you're gonna get is terrible players with too many years left on their contracts, e.g., a pure cap dump like Ceci.

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Pachal

That's a good enough top four for the rest of the season. The bottom pairing is gonna be brutal if it's Oesterle-Gilbert but that's on Huska for not being willing to give Solovyov/Kuznetsov a longer leash.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I would be mildly surprised if the Flames don’t pick up a defenseman as a cap dump from a team or for cheap. Lots of players get moved for dirt cheap at the deadline. Grabbing a veteran 5/6 guy for a 6th happens.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Pointless. All you're gonna get is terrible players with too many years left on their contracts, e.g., a pure cap dump like Ceci.

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Pachal

That's a good enough top four for the rest of the season. The bottom pairing is gonna be brutal if it's Oesterle-Gilbert but that's on Huska for not being willing to give Solovyov/Kuznetsov a longer leash.

Pachal should not be anywhere close to 2nd pairing. Like he's vastly exceeded expectations but that's rough.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Schmidt and a pick from the Jets, but not before the summer. One year left on his deal.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Valimaki and Mackey trades are now backfiring on the Flames. Shouldn’t have given up on them so early.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can see Bean, Peeke, or Bodqvist available from Columbus at a reasonable offerprice.

I can see a fit there. FYI:

Peeke will be free for the taking after his buyout - it should be cheaper to use the U26 buyout on him than to retain.

Bean, I can see the Jackets wanting him back if they trade Provorov. If not then someone has to go to make room for Mateychuk, and Bean could cost something like a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Bean is okay at everything but not as sturdy as you'd like.

The Werenski-Boqvist pairing is getting the best results so it's hard to trade Boqvist for anything less than a 1st rounder, and maybe nothing less than a mid 1st. They do have a logjam with Jiricek coming but it doesn't seem right to alleviate that by messing with the top pair.

Last edited:
Reactions: MakeCgyGreatAgain

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Nate Schmidt is your guy. He's a great presence in the locker room and probably the guy you want mentoring prospects. He's not a bad player either, just overpaid for what he brings (one year left on his contract), and I doubt Chevy would disrupt the locker room by moving him at the deadline when the team is contending. If teams were built on paper alone, I'd be attaching assets to him just to upgrade the position.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Nate Schmidt is your guy. He's a great presence in the locker room and probably the guy you want mentoring prospects. He's not a bad player either, just overpaid for what he brings (one year left on his contract), and I doubt Chevy would disrupt the locker room by moving him at the deadline when the team is contending. If teams were built on paper alone, I'd be attaching assets to him just to upgrade the position.
A couple guys already beat me to it. Might not be a fit because of the bolded bit, but if the Jets had a deal lined up for an upgrade and needed to clear space Schmidt seems like an ideal fit for what OP wanted.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You can have a lightly used Jacob Trouba for free!
That's the kind of thing the Flames should be all over if it's true. Just 2 years left after this one, which is kind of the perfect timeline for us. I'm just skeptical the Rags move their captain out and I don't really think he's overpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad