Movies: Overlord (WW2 horror film, J.J. Abrams)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Meh

So a big budget version of this basically?

frankarm0.jpg

Also it should be pointed out major flaw in movie is on display right from start and it is little thing but its historical inaccuracy that is simply a sad reality of the time war took place

US Army units were segregated and only black paratrooper unit (555th parachute infantry battalion) never was deployed in combat largely because of racism. It makes it hard right from start to get into a movie like this given that immediate historical inaccuracy

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Really? That’s the part you can’t get into? But the alien or zombified people seem normal though

I heard rumours before this might be part of the Clover-universe? Anyone have info on that?

I think it looks interesting either way, I want to see it.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Nice to see Wyatt Russel acting--I have a soft spot for him since he gave hockey a good, long hard shot before turning to the family business (his parents are Hollywood royalty)

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Really? That’s the part you can’t get into? But the alien or zombified people seem normal though

To be fair this was the first thing people pointed out with Keanu Reeves 47 Ronin film. "What the hell is a white guy doing in feudel Japan?" Nevermind there were women turning into dragons and ghosts floating everywhere in the trailer.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

There's a big difference between how the zombified people and the black paratrooper are presented. The former are clearly presented as being out of place and "wrong," as alternate history elements. The latter seems to be presented as being "normal" and part of the real history, not like, say, the film Black Knight, where having a "brother" in Camelot was the alternate history. In fact, almost the first half of this trailer is made to look like a regular, historical WWII movie.

Now, if the movie actually ends up explaining why one of the paratroopers is black--perhaps he's not a soldier, but has been inserted into this white airborne unit for this one mission--and the other paratroopers aren't friendly with him (either because of his race or just because he's an outsider), then that might change things entirely. If the film justifies him being there like that, most people could probably suspend their disbelief. If it's presented as though there's nothing unusual about it, though, as if the armed forces were desegregated as the time, that might be a little much for some to let slide, even though it's an alternate history film.

I heard rumours before this might be part of the Clover-universe? Anyone have info on that?

I read somewhere that there might be other Clover-universe films, but they won't be marketed as such--i.e. that'll be part of the twist--so, with Abrams producing this, I can see this being one of them. Perhaps the story is that the Nazis captured an alien or acquired alien technology from a crashed ship and used it in their scientific experiments.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Loved this movie. Disappointed and surprised it's not doing better at the box office. Not sure itll pass its budget/pass it by much which is a shame too cause they could probably make a sequel

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wonder if they should've paid for a bigger star. I doubt that John Boyega (Edit: Oops, that's not even him). After recently watching Pacific Rim: Uprising, I have doubts about his ability to carry a movie as the lead, as well. He seems like a good ensemble actor (like in Star Wars), but just not charismatic enough for lead roles. I haven't seen this film, though.

Edit: Wow. I thought that that was John Boyega, but it's someone else. My point still stands about getting a bigger star, though.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wonder if they should've paid for a bigger star. I doubt that John Boyega is much of a draw. After recently watching Pacific Rim: Uprising, I have doubts about his ability to carry a movie as the lead, as well. He seems like a good ensemble actor (like in Star Wars), but just not charismatic enough for lead roles. I haven't seen this film, though.
um hello have u ever seen attack the block

GOAT film

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Nice to see Wyatt Russel acting--I have a soft spot for him since he gave hockey a good, long hard shot before turning to the family business (his parents are Hollywood royalty)

been a big fan since his episode of Black Mirror, also great in Goon 2

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
They set it up where they will probably have sequels.

I thought it was decent. My wife hated it

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
watching it now, its really good so far.

few characters who i wish lasted a bit longer though. i know they wanted to keep the amount of soldiers low but it would have been better with a few more characters initially IMO

tibbett is f***ing hilarious though i just see his character from OITNB whenever i see him

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I thought this worked quite well up until the end, where it went full-blown silly action movie. I get that's the appeal to a lot of people, but I appreciated it more when it felt a little bit more contained and was mixing in a lot of horror elements. There was still a lot of action beforehand, but it felt a lot more atmospheric when they were just kind of hiding out in that village, spying on the Nazis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad