Speculation: Overall Depth of the Hawks

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
What is the overall depth of Blackhawks long term? Looks like D has gotten a lot stronger over the past couple drafts?!?!

Goalies:

Delia
Lankinen
Nalimov
Gravel

D: Reminds me of Nashville a few years ago when they had Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Zanon, Zidlicky etc...

Joki
Boqvist
Beudin
Mitchell
Krys

F:

Sikura
Edjsell
Kahun

MathausK

Oct 28, 2015
MAPLE, ON
What is the overall depth of Blackhawks long term? Looks like D has gotten a lot stronger over the past couple drafts?!?!

Goalies:

Delia
Lankinen
Nalimov
Gravel

D: Reminds me of Nashville a few years ago when they had Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Zanon, Zidlicky etc...

Joki
Boqvist
Beudin
Mitchell
Krys

F:

Sikura
Edjsell
Kahun

That would be a great problem for the organization to have but the bolded is still a stretch by a large margin.

Most of those guys you listed are still a bunch of unknowns at this point.

Mind you while Joki and Mitchell do look promising nothing is ever guaranteed.

Reactions: BrianE

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Their problem in net could look really bad if someone doesn’t pan out. Its always a high acquisition cost to get a young goalie that looks like a starter. Martin Jones and Cam Talbot both cost a 1st. Grubhub or whatever his name is cost a 2nd, etc. That’s the biggest area of concern with Crawford about done.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That would be a great problem for the organization to have but the bolded is still a stretch by a large margin.

Most of those guys you listed are still a bunch of unknowns at this point.

Mind you while Joki and Mitchell do look promising nothing is ever guaranteed.

Unknown to who?

These are established prospects who have produced at their current level.

They are not 7th round randoms for this season.

Nothing is guaranteed with any prospect.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Are you serious?

Considering HJ, Boqvist, and Mitchell are all considered top 2 potential Dmen (Boqvist is the only one with 1D potential but HJ and Mitchell have the potential to be go #2 D) he is not really reaching.

I would not put Beaudin and Krys in that group but I would add Forsling as prospect with solid top 4 potential.

MathausK

Oct 28, 2015
MAPLE, ON
Unknown to who?

These are established prospects who have produced at their current level.

They are not 7th round randoms for this season.

Nothing is guaranteed with any prospect.

Other than Gustav Forsling (you mentioned) the D’s the OP listed are still unknown commodities at the NHL level. Regardless, of draft position.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Please, use common sense and it’s 100% sure every single thing wont happen, most likely even 50% wont happen in real life. So dont bash this just because you wanted Wahlstrom or you hate some player. Please increase your optimism level a bit. YOU DONT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN!

There is a reason to be excited about our prospect pool of Dmen. I’d consider following guys prospects, not in order. I’ll put my personal ceiling expectation after every name:

Forsling (#2D)
Carlsson (#3D)
Boqvist (#1D)
Jokiharju (#2D)
Beaudin (#3D
Mitchell (#3D)
Krys (#4D)
Gilbert (#5D)
Snuggerud (#5D)
Galvas (#6D)

10 Dmen who have in my opinion potential to be NHL defenseman and even though BWC or some other may not agree, there really is high-end potential. To be true #1Dman in NHL is really, really hard but we do have some guys who can be it. And hey, watch Capitals or Pens defense last three years. We may not need new Duncan Keith. We need good players with elite system. Imo Caps had two #2D in their team and one low-end #1D. And they won.

I will put centers also, it’s kind of poor at this point but I hope Hawks wont trade their first next year because it’s very deep draft at C and I think Bowman should try to add another 1st rounder next year if the following season goes bad.

Jake Wise (#2C)
Maxim Shalunov (#3C, but I think he will be winger)
Philipp Kurashev (#3C, probably winger)
Evan Barratt (#3C)

As you can see, it’s pretty thin. Obviously we have Schmaltz and somebody could think him as prospect but I wont. And Shalunov is still in KHL so we dont really know. Wise could be steal and be something huge for us. Kurashev is a boom or bust but I see him as winger in NHL but hey you never know. I dont know much about Barratt but I’ve read from here that he has some middle-6 potential, likely 3rd liner.

I wont touch goalies that much but I hope they go after Cale Morris from ND. We dont have elite goalie talent in the system but I still think it’s easier to trade for or get it from free agency (frenzy, college etc). Obviously 4 or 5 round pick for G is not bad choice. I trust Hawks goalie coaching, they know what to do.

So last but not least wingers. I think Russians Kayumov and Altybarmakyan are the two high-end winger prospects here who can be huge for us. But yes, they are in KHL and we dont probably see them at least for two years and I understand. I personally trust how Hawks management handles things with Russians and I also trust Russian coaching and development.

It’s hard to put ceiling these boom or bust type of players so I go with the flow and just use top-6, middle-6 or bottom-6 ceilings.

Sikura (top-6)
Kayumov (top-6)
Altybarmakyan (top-6)
Nordgren (top-6)
Olofsson (middle-6)
Söderlund (middle-6)
From (middle-6)

From is interesting guy and he still has the tools but is the nuthead, we dont know. Söderlund can be Victor Arvidsson and I really think his speed can be big weapon. He is going to Frölunda for bigger role so hopefully he takes big steps. For me he is the most secure NHL’er here from wingers because his toolbox is suited for bottom-6 game too. Nordgren could be new Cat. Olofsson went back to school, wonder if he dont want to sign at all. Sikura is his own level at the moment.

Huh, that was long text. There is mistakes I’m sure of it and many of you dont agree with me. I’m just giving my 14 cents about our prospect pool.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Please, use common sense and it’s 100% sure every single thing wont happen, most likely even 50% wont happen in real life. So dont bash this just because you wanted Wahlstrom or you hate some player. Please increase your optimism level a bit. YOU DONT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN!

There is a reason to be excited about our prospect pool of Dmen. I’d consider following guys prospects, not in order. I’ll put my personal ceiling expectation after every name:

Forsling (#2D)
Carlsson (#3D)
Boqvist (#1D)
Jokiharju (#2D)
Beaudin (#3D
Mitchell (#3D)
Krys (#4D)
Gilbert (#5D)
Snuggerud (#5D)
Galvas (#6D)

10 Dmen who have in my opinion potential to be NHL defenseman and even though BWC or some other may not agree, there really is high-end potential. To be true #1Dman in NHL is really, really hard but we do have some guys who can be it. And hey, watch Capitals or Pens defense last three years. We may not need new Duncan Keith. We need good players with elite system. Imo Caps had two #2D in their team and one low-end #1D. And they won.

I will put centers also, it’s kind of poor at this point but I hope Hawks wont trade their first next year because it’s very deep draft at C and I think Bowman should try to add another 1st rounder next year if the following season goes bad.

Jake Wise (#2C)
Evan Barratt (#3C)

As you can see, it’s pretty thin. Obviously we have Schmaltz and somebody could think him as prospect but I wont. And Shalunov is still in KHL so we dont really know. Wise could be steal and be something huge for us. Kurashev is a boom or bust but I see him as winger in NHL but hey you never know. I dont know much about Barratt but I’ve read from here that he has some middle-6 potential, likely 3rd liner.

I wont touch goalies that much but I hope they go after Cale Morris from ND. We dont have elite goalie talent in the system but I still think it’s easier to trade for or get it from free agency (frenzy, college etc). Obviously 4 or 5 round pick for G is not bad choice. I trust Hawks goalie coaching, they know what to do.

So last but not least wingers. I think Russians Kayumov and Altybarmakyan are the two high-end winger prospects here who can be huge for us. But yes, they are in KHL and we dont probably see them at least for two years and I understand. I personally trust how Hawks management handles things with Russians and I also trust Russian coaching and development.

It’s hard to put ceiling these boom or bust type of players so I go with the flow and just use top-6, middle-6 or bottom-6 ceilings.

Sikura (top-6)
Kayumov (top-6)
Altybarmakyan (top-6)
Nordgren (top-6)
Olofsson (middle-6)
Söderlund (middle-6)
From (middle-6)

From is interesting guy and he still has the tools but is the nuthead, we dont know. Söderlund can be Victor Arvidsson and I really think his speed can be big weapon. He is going to Frölunda for bigger role so hopefully he takes big steps. For me he is the most secure NHL’er here from wingers because his toolbox is suited for bottom-6 game too. Nordgren could be new Cat. Olofsson went back to school, wonder if he dont want to sign at all. Sikura is his own level at the moment.

Huh, that was long text. There is mistakes I’m sure of it and many of you dont agree with me. I’m just giving my 14 cents about our prospect pool.
Missing Edjsell...Where do you think Edjsell fits in?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Are we talking prospects or overall?

I thought it was about prospects, maybe I’m wrong and I posted this to wrong thread.

Missing Edjsell...Where do you think Edjsell fits in?

Oh yes I knew someone was forgotten and Ejdsell is most definitely a prospect.

I really can’t slot him because I saw so little of him. I hope he could be center even though he is kind of slow, hope he improves that a lot in summer. Though I think as a winger you need more speed than at center. Maybe 3C potential, if speed is improved a lot a 2C duties are not out of question? I can be very off, he showed his stickhandling skills and shot but the speed is the major concern.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I think Hillman could be a rock-solid bottom-pairing d-man. I don't think he has any more upside than that at the NHL level, but I think he can be very good in that role. You need dependable bottom-pairing guys, too, as important as the top-4 are. They have some guys who have potential to be very good in the 5-6 holes in addition to the top 4 prospects.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Forsling (#2D)
Carlsson (#3D)
Boqvist (#1D)
Jokiharju (#2D)
Beaudin (#3D
Mitchell (#3D)
Krys (#4D)
Gilbert (#5D)
Snuggerud (#5D)
Galvas (#6D)

Jake Wise (#2C)
Evan Barratt (#3C)

Sikura (top-6)
Kayumov (top-6)
Altybarmakyan (top-6)
Nordgren (top-6)
Olofsson (middle-6)
Söderlund (middle-6)
From (middle-6)

This was the organization's choice, not Olofsson's. He wanted to sign, they want him to spend another year at Omaha. I have heard there's still an outside chance they sign him before summer is over but my guess is he goes back to Omaha. I agree that he is a middle-6 NHL player. I think he'll be a perfect fit as third-liner.

Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
This was the organization's choice, not Olofsson's. He wanted to sign, they want him to spend another year at Omaha. I have heard there's still an outside chance they sign him before summer is over but my guess is he goes back to Omaha. I agree that he is a middle-6 NHL player. I think he'll be a perfect fit as third-liner.

Oh yes now I remember that you said this earlier. Thanks for the insight.

Wonder if free agency action has impact here if he signs or not. Do you have any idea if he is ready to work through AHL to get to NHL or does he want the spot right away or goes back to school?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Oh yes now I remember that you said this earlier. Thanks for the insight.

Wonder if free agency action has impact here if he signs or not. Do you have any idea if he is ready to work through AHL to get to NHL or does he want the spot right away or goes back to school?

Not against the AHL.

Reactions: migi

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think Hillman could be a rock-solid bottom-pairing d-man. I don't think he has any more upside than that at the NHL level, but I think he can be very good in that role. You need dependable bottom-pairing guys, too, as important as the top-4 are. They have some guys who have potential to be very good in the 5-6 holes in addition to the top 4 prospects.

Hillman has more ability than people think.

I was looking at Will Butcher's numbers vs Ian Mitchell's numbers and I have to say it looks like we got an absolute steal.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Hillman has more ability than people think.

I was looking at Will Butcher's numbers vs Ian Mitchell's numbers and I have to say it looks like we got an absolute steal.

I had said in his original draft-eligible season that I thought he had more offensive upside in him. I've yet to really see it other than some flashes all of these years later. I think he has the ability to chip in some offense at the NHL level but I don't think point production will be something he's known for in particular. If it hasn't manifested to this point consistently, I don't know if it all of a sudden is going to at the NHL level. If it does, by all means, that would be wonderful, but it's not something I'm expecting at this point. He does have a very good shot and is good at getting it through, so he does have that going for him.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I had said in his original draft-eligible season that I thought he had more offensive upside in him. I've yet to really see it other than some flashes all of these years later. I think he has the ability to chip in some offense at the NHL level but I don't think point production will be something he's known for in particular. If it hasn't manifested to this point consistently, I don't know if it all of a sudden is going to at the NHL level. If it does, by all means, that would be wonderful, but it's not something I'm expecting at this point. He does have a very good shot and is good at getting it through, so he does have that going for him.
I think Hillman has a good chance of being the first call up and being able to stick for good stretches. He looked good here solid mobility as well, hope he has a good camp!

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think Hillman has a good chance of being the first call up and being able to stick for good stretches. He looked good here solid mobility as well, hope he has a good camp!
Yeah assuming Forsling is on the roster, I'd have to imagine Hillman is first on the call up list.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
I like Mitchell more than everyone

I Love Mitchell... since I went to Prospect camp ... and Raved here about Mitchell as the surprise stud from camp!!! He thought the game way faster than all other D guys at camp... with + skating/quick feet

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hillman looked pretty competent to me in his 4 game stint with the Hawks ....you are not going to get much offense from him. But the mobility looked good and his awareness and compete level defendingnour zone were fine
.So that is another to add to the pipeline mix.

Now here bus my taken on the crazy idea Hawks must upgrade of current date via trading away assets...I am glad Stan opted not to do that ..
Glad we did not go after Faulk who while good offensively ,never I his career could he defend a kick .
So I am instead wonder why Hawks cannot "improve from within" via one or two of our plethora of signed pipeline youngvdmen making the show this fall?

The only impediments may be our contracted roster players who are taking up spots they might otherwise get if in other orgs with openings at such spots..

The usual arguments against our farm d-men are:

1.Camnot make the show right from juniors or NCAA ....cannot be :ready: without AHL learning pro experience .

2. It takes D-men longer ...would make too many rookie mistakes ...Q cannot trust them.

3. This is the Hawks. ..we do not get guys making the show on D right outbox the box...that is for other teams like Boston (Krug did it:McAvoy did it ) NJ (Butcher did it) and there probably are other examples where guys made the show immediately after leaving college ..Werensku did it too..
Maybe less so for D'men from juniors....But there must be sone exceptions on that ...Sergachev did it. .
Ekblad did it ..Dahlin will do it; no AHL learning curve required.

Yes they were high picks compared to Jokiharju being a late first so there bus that ..but you cannot definitely rule out Jokiharju making the team just because of that ...It probably is a matter of finding the right d-patrtner to pair with and if they can click OR a matter of a contracted current vet taking up his spot and that they do not wish to buy out or cannot trade that spot taking player ...As to the must pay big minutes in Rockford rather than limited 3rd pair minutes argument ,that should be no argument IF Jokiharju can help us get better now even if just making the 3rd pair better.
Let us see how it plays out at main camp in September.

As to our older NCAA guys like Hillman and Gilbert ...week they are SAH types and maybe fit better paired with Jokiharju than the likes of Gustafsson or Oesterle ...Or maybe it is
Carl Dahlstrom with 3 AHL seasons "learning" or maybe Lucas Carlsson or
Jonny Tuulola both having at least played against men already in the top men's leagues in Sweden and Finland ..so rookies yes but at least not as big a jump as from juniors.

The Hawks should not hide from their ready or almost ready pipeline talent to ride the Current crop ofc5-6 D'men ..but still must've it her buyboutvorctrade to open up the spots. ASSUMING our top 4 by cap cost is Seabrook Keith and Murphy Manning ,it means either we improve the 5-7 spits or trade one from our top 4..That can only be Murphy because Seabs un-tradeable (nobody wants him as he plays now and with that contract ) and Keith they would not trade unless he further declines in his effectiveness and waives his NMC at the TDL if some team still believes in him ..which if he murders it like -29; again ,nobody will so want him anymore anyway.
We just added Manning so he has to stay to prove Stan right...
So if we are to improve our top 4" it comes down to trading Murphy for a better top 4...Hard to do for sane Cao cost ..So not gonna happen.

This resign yourselves to no improvement in the top 4 ...Hope the 5-7 are changed and the youth infusion helps us from down there.

This the real problem is the top 4 ...not the rookies being better 5-7 options or not than than the current Ruta ,Oesterle,and Gustafsson vets ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad