Ovechkin vs Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasparov*

For me i'd take Malkin because he's just so big, such a great skater and has that dynamic in his game to be a franchise player moreso than Ovechkin IMO. Malkin seriously reminds me of Forsberg a bit.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Ovechkin looks to be a bit of a puck hog. He kept trying to go into the offenside zone by himself Tues nite. As to who is better, Ovechkin or Malkin, I haven't seen enough of either to make a good decision on that, but I'm sure theres a good reason Ovechkin was scouted as #1 with a bullet. Heck, Florida even tried to draft him the previous year.

Kasparov*

octopi said:
Ovechkin looks to be a bit of a puck hog. He kept trying to go into the offenside zone by himself Tues nite. As to who is better, Ovechkin or Malkin, I haven't seen enough of either to make a good decision on that, but I'm sure theres a good reason Ovechkin was scouted as #1 with a bullet. Heck, Florida even tried to draft him the previous year.

Hehe yeah.. not taking anything away from Ovechkin, but Malkin honestly to me seems like a bigger version of Peter Forsberg... (except more geared towards playmaking)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Kasparov said:
Hehe yeah.. not taking anything away from Ovechkin, but Malkin honestly to me seems like a bigger version of Peter Forsberg... (except more geared towards playmaking)

I really like Malkin, but there's a reason Ovechkin won best forward.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Kasparov said:
Malkin honestly to me seems like a bigger version of Peter Forsberg... (except more geared towards playmaking)

More geared to playmaking than Peter Forsberg? I know I have seen Malkin shoot the puck once or twice with good results so he can't be that much more geared to playmaking than a guy who had 116 points in one season with only 30 goals. And he may be bigger than Forsberg but he doesn't strike me as being as ferociously intense on the ice. Maybe it will come with time...

Malkin sure looks to have the talent to mold into an NHL supertar but I still like Ovechkin better. The bionic-man visor just is icing on the cake.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I continue to contend that the gap between the two is getting narrower thanks largely to Malkin's rapid development, but Ovechkin is still significantly better, stronger, more developed, etc.

I really like Malkin, but there's a reason Ovechkin won best forward.
Because he had a somewhat better tournament.

If you're in the school of thought that Ovechkin is significantly better than Malkin, i don't think using these past WJCs as an example is going to be good for your argument.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jacobv2 said:
I continue to contend that the gap between the two is getting narrower thanks largely to Malkin's rapid development, but Ovechkin is still significantly better, stronger, more developed, etc.

If you're in the school of thought that Ovechkin is significantly better than Malkin, i don't think using these past WJCs as an example is going to be good for your argument.

Agreed with everything you said. Ovechkin is still the better player/prospect, but the gap is closing to more of a crack than a gap.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kasparov said:

But he is not shifty at all like a Forsberg. In fact, Ovechkin's dynamism is much more akin to a Forsberg. He can start-stop-turn on a dime in a hurry and also is pretty strong for his size. Malkin is more akin to those big, smooth players. He is also pretty raw.

Maybe it's the novelty effect of Malkin or maybe people didn't noticed he was still very raw but he needs work. There's upside there, though. He is a great 2nd selection for that draft.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I said it long time ago, Malkin could very well end up better then Ovechkin.

Just because Ovechkin was better at a younger age it does't mean he'll remain better, Malkin is developing very nice and the gap is getting very close.

We'll find out in time.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Two different players. Ovechkin is more of a straight forward sniper that is physical while Evgeni is more of a shifty playmaker.

Of course I would take AO at this point but I truly believe that Malkin's potential is ****in' insane.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
monster_bertuzzi said:
Two different players. Ovechkin is more of a straight forward sniper that is physical while Evgeni is more of a shifty playmaker.

Of course I would take AO at this point but I truly believe that Malkin's potential is ****in' insane.
playing with lemieux next year would do wonders for malkin IMO. jagr has said he wouldn't have been close to the player he developed into if not for lemieux. here's hoping for the end of the lockout.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Dark Metamorphosis said:
playing with lemieux next year would do wonders for malkin IMO. jagr has said he wouldn't have been close to the player he developed into if not for lemieux. here's hoping for the end of the lockout.

Assuming there's no more lockout and Malkin comes, what would the lines be like in Pittsburgh? And the powerplays?

Thanks.

Kasparov*

Vlad The Impaler said:
But he is not shifty at all like a Forsberg. In fact, Ovechkin's dynamism is much more akin to a Forsberg. He can start-stop-turn on a dime in a hurry and also is pretty strong for his size. Malkin is more akin to those big, smooth players. He is also pretty raw.

Maybe it's the novelty effect of Malkin or maybe people didn't noticed he was still very raw but he needs work. There's upside there, though. He is a great 2nd selection for that draft.

Yeah... big smooth players.. exactly but who could i compare him to??

Kasparov*

Birko19 said:
I said it long time ago, Malkin could very well end up better then Ovechkin.

Just because Ovechkin was better at a younger age it does't mean he'll remain better, Malkin is developing very nice and the gap is getting very close.

We'll find out in time.

:)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jacobv2 said:

Because he had a somewhat better tournament.

In the year or so of watching your posts I can honestly say that you have been as consistently reserved in your thoughts of Malkin as anyone. For you to say that the gap has narrowed definately brings a :) .

And yes I noted the 'Ovechkin is still significantly better, stronger, more developed, etc.' which I agree with. I would have been shocked otherwise with AO having a year further development, and even sillier the comparing AO to Crosby because of this tournement when there are two years development separating them.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Assuming there's no more lockout and Malkin comes, what would the lines be like in Pittsburgh? And the powerplays?

Thanks.
I'll give it a go.

Evgeni Malkin - Mario Lemieux - Mark Recchi
Ryan Malone - Milan Kraft - Aleksey Morozov
Konstantin Koltsov - Kris Beech - Ramzi Abid
Rico Fata - Lasse Pirjeta - Matt Bradley
Ryan Vandenbussche

It depends on training camp, but I'd say Malkin will be given every opportunity to play on the top line. I'd probably try and ween him off the wing before putting him at centre, although Mario can shift himself to the left side. Playing with these two could be great for him.

Its an alright lineup. It doesn't cry out "playoffs" but they could be a difficult team to beat when they bring their A game, but all in all, its still not a very good team. The bottom two lines are especially suspect, I question their ability to close down the top two lines of other teams. Fata's on the fourth line, but could drop in on any of the other lines for a few shifts.

Powerplay:

Morozov-Lemieux-Recchi
Tarnstrom-Jackman

I've ignored Malkin here, only because Lemieux and Morozov have excellent chemistry between them. I guess then you could make an argument for moving Morozov up to the top line at even strength, but I want Recchi on that line. Malkin, Kraft and Malone would make up the second powerplay unit, and if healthy, Michal Rozsival can slot in on the point.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
I would move Lemieux over to the LW insteed of Malkin. Ouellet should be in there, he can play on your 3rd line with Beech. And Endicott and Armstrong can man the 4th line.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Well, I explained the positioning of Lemieux/Malkin in my post. The rest, I've already been through with you.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Last I knew, lockout or not Morozov will be staying in Russia with his contract there.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04213/354740.stm

Malkin will probably not be over here either, there is no transfer agreement with Russia, it expired. Rumour is they want 7 figures now to release someone like him.

Ramzi Abid is not exactly tearing up the AHL, I wouldn't count on him making the big team. Ouellet, Murley and Beech are tearing up the AHL as a line, have to agree with at least two of them making it.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Morozov's contract in Russia is one-year, he can't return to the NHL this year which doesn't look like that's going to matter.

Morozov proved a hundred times over he wants to be part of this team last year, he'll be back. People really jumped on him for signing that damn contract.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Jason MacIsaac said:
Why put all your eggs in one pot like that. Let Malkin make a name for himself on the 2nd line rather then leach off of Lemieux.

Oh but then the point totals Malkin might earn will just prove that Pittsburgh was right all along in getting the 'player with more potential' Malkin.

:shakehead

*groan* Not this again. Malkin looked really raw in the two games I saw at the WJC. Yes, he has potential. But that gap hasn't closed that much as far as current level goes. In 2-3 years, maybe that gap will close some, as their long range potential is still about the same, but for the next 2-3 years, Ovechkin should be a better player.

That doesn't even begin to start into the whole concept that Ovechkin's potential and Malkin's potential is still extremely high. Both players have the scoring talent to be in the top 10 in the league in the right situation, though I'd like to think Ovechkin has the potential to have more of a complete game. Both teams and fans should be happy with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad