Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I don't criticize it. Goal scoring is the most important thing in hockey and the object of the game. I'm just saying let's not kid ourselves that there's other reasons for why he won those awards.
I don’t understand what “other reasons” your putting down. He wasn’t a bad playmaker during those days. Defensively? Why use that against him when his offense is more prolific?

if your reasons are being more “we’ll rounded”,I mean those are your standards, because you clearly don’t have to be a defensive stud or have a ton of assists to be considered the best player. That’s entirely subjective.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I don't criticize it. Goal scoring is the most important thing in hockey and the object of the game. I'm just saying let's not kid ourselves that there's other reasons for why he won those awards.
No one is kidding themselves, being the greatest goal scorer of the generation/likely ever isn't something to dismiss, it's to be embraced but he's objectively been much more than that as a player and he won those awards by being more than just that as well. You can't argue otherwise because the hardware and results speak for themselves.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
A baseball player who can't run, and can't play defense, could hit a home run once every 10 at-bats, but strikeout the other 9 times

If he did that over the course of 20 seasons, he'd be the all-time leader in home runs

Would that make him among the best players ever?
Such a straw man that is entirely devoid of the topic at hand. I mean, if this was your initial take why even post it in this thread, it makes no sense to the conversation at hand since you've already stated you weren't attempting to infer anything. (Sure)

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
A baseball player who can't run, and can't play defense, could hit a home run once every 10 at-bats, but strikeout the other 9 times

If he did that over the course of 20 seasons, he'd be the all-time leader in home runs

Would that make him among the best players ever?
Again your creating these alternative standards that don’t exist, all to make a point that you don’t have.

I’m sure your insinuating that this make believe player is Ovechkin? Yet again your completely ignoring accomplishments and leaving those out and painting your own picture.

for example, ok this said player can’t run?
-Ovechkin is a great skater and very physical.
This player could hit home runs
-how many times did he lead the league in home runs? More time than anyone?
Goes at bat but strikes out more than hits?
-well if this is a correlation between shots and and at bats, it doesn’t match. Striking out is different, you don’t strike out in hockey and shouldn’t be belittled for shooting more shots, see Gretzky

And lastly, how many times as this said player been considered the best in the league? How many times was he voted most valuable?

once again, your creating a player that clearly doesn’t match Ovechkins career, but yet your trying to push the idea that he is basically Ovechkin....but with baseball. Sorry, doesn’t work.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If given a choice, is anyone taking prime Ovechkin over prime Pronger for a best of 7 series?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
If given a choice, is anyone taking prime Ovechkin over prime Pronger for a best of 7 series?
Cool, that’s not the topic or the discussion. I don’t understand why you have to change the standards in order to once again create a point that is basically useless.

I’m sure most people would take Justin Williams in a game 7 than most players, doesn’t make Justin Williams an all time great.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
A player can hit a lot of home runs, but not get on base a lot, be lousy defensively, and be a poor base runner

Ruth hit lots of home runs, but he also got on base a lot, and was also one of the best pitchers of his era

Mays hit a lot of home runs, played great defense, and was one of the best base runners ever

Hank Aaron hit a lot of home runs, but he also stole 240 bases, lead the league in hits a couple of times, and won a few Gold Gloves

Being a great goal scorer doesn't make someone a great hockey player

Nobody considers Tim Kerr among the best players of the 80's, despite the fact he was one of the most prolific goal scorers of his generation

Tim Kerr really only had a run of 4 years and never even hit 60 goals in the best time to score goals in the league.

Now if he played 15 years how he played those 4, he would have 825 goals, and yes he would have been one of the best of his generation. As it is, he was one of the top 5 goal scorers over a 4 year period. but that would also make Phil Kessel or Jeff O'Neill (perhaps even Jonathon cheechoo) one of the most prolific goal scorers of his generation ......

Ovy has done for 15 years what Kerr did for 4, there is simply no comparison.

Ovy is 2nd over the past 15 years in assists for winger, 10th overall (wingers have far less chances for assists), 1st in points for all players, 1st in hits, far beyond what Kerr did.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Wilson and Backstrom are just huge putting the puck in the net, eh? Ovechkin's drop in assists directly correlate to the lack of goal scoring on his wings and the SIGNIFICANT drop in the PP effectiveness.

Uh oh, a +/- alert! Someone tell this guy that the player leading the league in points is -11 and Crosby is -5.
So? Who said McDavid, Crosby, or Draisatl were elite two-way players? I didn't. They don't have to be. Neither does Ovechkin. It's a just a knock on his game when anyone suggests that he's somehow a complete player. He isn't. Neither is McDavid. Yes, I'd take them on my team. You're confusing whether I think he's great versus whether I agree that he's an all-around player. He's a one-trick pony whose one trick just happens to be spectacular.

Your right, Ovechkin is a one trick pony. Defense and assists are clearly more important than goals, while plus/minus is the best and most accurate stat of all time. Ovechkins cup, smythe, Harts, Lindsays, and All Star honors are clearly inferior given how he can’t play defense and can’t stack up assists. Ovechkin would be lucky to even be a top 30 player, I mean how many selke votes does he have??? How can you even be considered one of the greatest but not be able to pile on meaningless assists? Goals? Cool anyone can score goals.

Happy?
Overreact much? I just said goal scoring is the most important thing. I've never thought of him as anything besides a terrific goal scorer. I don't see how anyone else can. Doesn't mean I think he sucks. If people stopped making it sound like he's a complete player, I wouldn't have even posted on this forum (besides respond to that one post about Mario Lemieux not being a top 10 all-time forward).

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
So? Who said McDavid, Crosby, or Draisatl were elite two-way players? I didn't. They don't have to be. Neither does Ovechkin. It's a just a knock on his game when anyone suggests that he's somehow a complete player. He isn't. Neither is McDavid. Yes, I'd take them on my team. You're confusing whether I think he's great versus whether I agree that he's an all-around player. He's a one-trick pony whose one trick just happens to be spectacular.

Overreact much? I just said goal scoring is the most important thing. I've never thought of him as anything besides a terrific goal scorer. I don't see how anyone else can. Doesn't mean I think he sucks. If people stopped making it sound like he's a complete player, I wouldn't have even posted on this forum (besides respond to that one post about Mario Lemieux not being a top 10 all-time forward).
No one is saying he’s a complete player, that’s why your whol argument makes little sense. Saying he was the best PLAYER isn’t indicating anything with being the complete package. That’s where your getting it wrong. He was the best player in his peak, not just goal scorer. Is that calling him the best playmaker? The best defensively? No. It’s simple, his goal scoring has always been his strongest game, doesn’t mean he was never a good playmaker, doesn’t mean his physicality and speed never contributed anything. He won 3 Lindsays and 3 Harts for being the best and most valuable player. His main goal scoring years came after, in which yes you have a point.

Who the hell wouldn’t have Mario Lemieux as a top 10 player? I would hope an epic brain fart was the cause....

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016

Yes, I would take PRIME Ovechkin over PRIME Pronger for a best of 7 series any day of the week. He was one man show during 08-11 playoff series for Washington

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Tim Kerr really only had a run of 4 years and never even hit 60 goals in the best time to score goals in the league.

Now if he played 15 years how he played those 4, he would have 825 goals, and yes he would have been one of the best of his generation. As it is, he was one of the top 5 goal scorers over a 4 year period. but that would also make Phil Kessel or Jeff O'Neill (perhaps even Jonathon cheechoo) one of the most prolific goal scorers of his generation ......

Ovy has done for 15 years what Kerr did for 4, there is simply no comparison.

Ovy is 2nd over the past 15 years in assists for winger, 10th overall (wingers have far less chances for assists), 1st in points for all players, 1st in hits, far beyond what Kerr did.

From '84 - '90, Kerr scored 299 goals in 421 games

That's a 58 goal pace per 82 games

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If given a choice, is anyone taking prime Ovechkin over prime Peter Forsberg for a a best of 7 series?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
No one is saying he’s a complete player, that’s why your whol argument makes little sense. Saying he was the best PLAYER isn’t indicating anything with being the complete package. That’s where your getting it wrong. He was the best player in his peak, not just goal scorer. Is that calling him the best playmaker? The best defensively? No. It’s simple, his goal scoring has always been his strongest game, doesn’t mean he was never a good playmaker, doesn’t mean his physicality and speed never contributed anything. He won 3 Lindsays and 3 Harts for being the best and most valuable player. His main goal scoring years came after, in which yes you have a point.

Who the hell wouldn’t have Mario Lemieux as a top 10 player? I would hope an epic brain fart was the cause....
That's from page 26.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yes, I would take PRIME Ovechkin over PRIME Pronger for a best of 7 series any day of the week. He was one man show during 08-11 playoff series for Washington

And Pronger was the best player on teams that went to the Finals 3 times in a 5 year span

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
If given a choice, is anyone taking prime Ovechkin over prime Peter Forsberg for a a best of 7 series?
Forsberg was a much better playoff performer. Could affect the game more even without scoring goals. Totally different type of players, though.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
That's from page 26.
Well that’s just an awful take :huh:
And Pronger was the best player on teams that went to the Finals 3 times in a 5 year span
Ovechkin was the best player on a team that won the cup, hence his smythe.
From '84 - '90, Kerr scored 299 goals in 421 games

That's a 58 goal pace per 82 games
He still never hit 60 goals.....he also never lead the league in goals.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He's a one-trick pony whose one trick just happens to be spectacular.

This is objectively and demonstrably false.

Ovechkin is top 3 in hits since the lockout.

Ovechkin is top 10 in assists since the lockout.

Ovechkin has 50% more goals than any other player since the lockout.

Ovechkin has been an elite skater over his career - especially for a 240 pound guy.

^^^That's 4 undeniable tricks, dimensions, or aspects of hockey.

Reactions: discobob

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
This is objectively and demonstrably false.

Ovechkin is top 3 in hits since the lockout.

Ovechkin is top 10 in assists since the lockout.

Ovechkin has 50% more goals than any other player since the lockout.

Ovechkin has been an elite skater over his career - especially for a 240 pound guy.

^^^That's 4 undeniable tricks, dimensions, or aspects of hockey.
He hasn't finished top 10 in assists since 2011. Three total finishes from 2009 -2011. None since then. So maybe I should qualify my statement. He's been a one-trick pony since 2011.

He's not an elite skater. Obviously a good skater for his size, but so is Chara.

He's always been a good hitter, though. That's true.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016

So what is the point you are trying to make? Hockey is the TEAM sport, Pronger was in the Finals 3 times in 5 years doesnt make him better player than Ovi. In fact, prime Ovi had better PPG in playoffs on average than many greats including Crosby. 50 points in 37 games, not including he was leading his team in hits too most of those times. He was absolutely by far the best player. Not his fault nobody else decided to show up back then including Green and Backstrom

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
He hasn't finished top 10 in assists since 2011. Three total finishes from 2009 -2011. None since then. So maybe I should qualify my statement. He's been a one-trick pony since 2011.

He's not an elite skater. Obviously a good skater for his size, but so is Chara.

He's always been a good hitter, though. That's true.

Are you serious man? Ovi before his early 30s was absolutely an elite skater, in fact his first 5 years, Id say he one of the beat if not the best. Unless you are talking about 34 years old Ovechkin

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So what is the point you are trying to make? Hockey is the TEAM sport, Pronger was in the Finals 3 times in 5 years doesnt make him better player than Ovi. In fact, prime Ovi had better PPG in playoffs on average than many greats including Crosby. 50 points in 37 games, not including he was leading his team in hits too most of those times. He was absolutely by far the best player. Not his fault nobody else decided to show up back then including Green and Backstrom

Getting back to your point about Ovechkin being a "one man show"

In 2 of those playoffs runs from '08 - '11, he was only a single point ahead of the next guy on his team, though it's certainly possible that Ovechkin was the straw stirring the drink, while the others were along for the ride

As for my point, I was just relaying that Pronger also had some monster playoff performances

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Here are players I'd definitely rank higher than him:

Gretzky
Orr
Lemieux
Howe
Richard
Hull
Hasek
Roy
Beliveau
Harvey
Lidstrom
Bourque
Shore
Crosby
Jagr

So he's top 20 all time for me. Still rising.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ovechkin's first 5 yrs were equal to or better than McDavid (2x Hart's, 3x Lindsay's). Then he went on the best goal scoring run ever (7 of 8 years winning the Richard)...

So no, McDavid can't sniff that list for about 5+ more years, and they better be epic...

While it's far too early to call Connor a top 10 guy it's a pretty decent bet that his 6th year in the league will be miles better than Ovi's 6th year.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Dude 38 assists is not a one trick pony - especially when you've led the NHL in goals.

I'll post some Ovie assists later. Maybe you haven't seen them? Some of them are beauties. Dude is a great passer, it's just that he's got an all-time shot and the Caps use it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad