Ovechkin or Lehtonen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Definitly AO........a potential franchise player is much harder to come by then a goalie who can get u a cup. Just look at guys like Kipursoff this year and Giguere last year. At this point theres just too many good goalies out there.....though I do think Lehtonen is gonna be a special one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
depends on the organizations needs. for a team like Buffalo that has a bunch of solid goalies that aren't exactly old I'd go with Ovechkin.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
b-mad said:
Definitly AO........a potential franchise player is much harder to come by then a goalie who can get u a cup. Just look at guys like Kipursoff this year and Giguere last year. At this point theres just too many good goalies out there.....though I do think Lehtonen is gonna be a special one.

A potential franchise goaltender is much harder to come by then a potential franchise forward.

Great forwards come around every few years. Over the last few years, the only potential franchise goalies are Lehtonen, Dipietro, Fleury, and Luongo.

I would take Lehtonen easily.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
You can't compare the players, it is a matter of what you want more.

Personally I would take Lehtonen as I believe a goaltender is vital to success nowadays.

Doesn't hurt to have both though, like on my fantasy team :yo:.

SwOOsh*

In today's NHL with the way goalies have improved over the last decade(s) it is pretty much even in my eyes with actually a better chance that a goalie is the franchise player then a forward. This can also be represented by the fact that goaltenders have started to win the Hart and Conn Smythe (sp?) a lot more frequently in the last decade.

IMO it's harder for a player to actually become a franchise player then a goalie as there are just more players that are good/great, while there are a few that really stand out. I might judge a franchise player a little bit harder then some as I only consider great players like Lemieux, Gretzky, Yzerman, Iginla, etc. that are the backbone of their teams. While goalies like Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour etc. and then you have the goalies who have done really well for a few seasons that could also be considered as franchise players at the time Giguere, Kolzig, Theodore etc. come around more often in my opinion.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i'd take ovechkin. great franchise goalies come along every couple of years too...1997 Luongo, 2002 Lehtonen, 2003 Fleury

if ovechkin is as good as they say he is, i'd take ovechkin.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
I was thinking of making a poll like this the other day funnily enough.

I think if both were the same age, and eligible for this draft AO would of definitely gone first overall, so take from that what you want.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Til the End of Time said:
A potential franchise goaltender is much harder to come by then a potential franchise forward.

Great forwards come around every few years. Over the last few years, the only potential franchise goalies are Lehtonen, Dipietro, Fleury, and Luongo.

I would take Lehtonen easily.

"potential franchise goaltender" is so relative.

There are plenty of clear number 1 goaltending prospects out there, but what's the difference between a good number 1, and a franchise goalie? Is there that much difference between a Luongo (arguably the best goalie in the league) and a Kiprusoff, or a Thedore? What? 5 points?

Maybe a stretch drive in the playoffs.

I'd rather have an ok number one and a potential franchise forward, rather than an ok forward, and a franchise goalie. Hey, that's just me, but winning 3-2 is way better than losing 1-0...

NYRGoalieGlut*

Lehtonen32 said:
I was thinking of making a poll like this the other day funnily enough.

I think if both were the same age, and eligible for this draft AO would of definitely gone first overall, so take from that what you want.

U bring up a good point. Goalies go #1overall VERY rarely (did anyone go #1overall other than Luongo and Fleury?). I wonder why.

Edit: It was Dipeatro, brain cramp.

Last edited by a moderator:

gretzky1545

Jun 8, 2004
i don't think the difference between a franchise forward and an ok forward is 3 goals a game, so i'd have to disagree with that point. And to the person who said that AO would go ahead of lehtonen if they were both the same age and in the same draft, i'd agree but say thats because goalies are less sure than forwards in general so it seems teams would be more hesistant to take a goalie with the #1. I would still rather have a franchise goalie because they are on the ice 60 minutes and can easily change the course of a season, forwards are less likely to do so, but in choosing between these two players, how in the world could you go wrong?

cheesed-off*

Renegade said:
You can't compare the players, it is a matter of what you want more.

Personally I would take Lehtonen as I believe a goaltender is vital to success nowadays.

Doesn't hurt to have both though, like on my fantasy team :yo:.

haha, me too, mang :banana: :banana:

i also have crosby.

the guys in my pool insult me, but in reality are just jealous.

right guys?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
None ... Give me Lehtveckin...

Best offensive talent to step into the NHL in along time , and he is soo fast he can go all the way back to his own end to play goalie ! He is just amazing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad