Ovechkin or Havlat

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
golleafsgo_17 said:
Who will put up more points next year? Will Ovechkin ever reach the same scoring potential as Havlat?
Havlat. Yes.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Havlat will outscore him next year but Ovechkin's potential is in a whole different level, in 3 years Ovechkin is clearly ahead.

Roy G Biv*

Pepper said:
Havlat will outscore him next year but Ovechkin's potential is in a whole different level, in 3 years Ovechkin is clearly ahead.

I wouldn't say clearly

How many points do expect Ovechkin to have in his 3rd season? Because Havlat could have over 100

Roy G Biv*

FlyersGuy69 said:
don't know what the point is but I will say Havlat will score more points but Ovechkin will score more goals.

Ovechkin is 10x the talent though.

10x?

I hope you're exaggerating...

so he is 10x better at shooting, stick handling, passing, skating? Can't wait to see him then... he should probably get about 200 pts his rookie year

I'd say their offensive games will be very similar. Ovechkin will rule, by a fair margin (not 10x) in defensive and physical play though.

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
In my opinion Havlat is one of the top players in the league, playing on a deep ottawa team. If he were on a weaker team, he'd easily be one of the top scorers in the league. And this is coming from a diehard Leafs fan.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Havlat will score more next year.

He'll also compete with Ovechkin in the scoring race in the future, as I think they'll both be two of the top scorers. However, Ovechkin will be the more complete player.

Think of Ovechkin as Forsberg and Havlat as Bure.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I think Havlat has plateaued. I think Ovechkin will be a big impact,and I think he is physically the more gifted between the two. Ovechkin could win a scoring title,Havlat not as likely

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dont see Ovechkin outscoring Havlat for 3 to 4 years minimum, first of all he has no supporting cast, second of all he is way youngers. He will be a way more complete player then Havlat thats for sure but I doubt he ever majorly outscores him. I think under Murray Havlat will lead Ottawa in scoring. Especially if the nhl really does open up I dont think it will benefit anyone more then Havlat (clearly Kovalchuk and a few more speedy free wheeling players will benefit too but im saying his style). Havlat has the likes of Spezza, Alfredsson and Hossa to play with along with Redden on the pp, this will always guarantee him alot of points.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
bert said:
I dont see Ovechkin outscoring Havlat for 3 to 4 years minimum, first of all he has no supporting cast, second of all he is way youngers. He will be a way more complete player then Havlat thats for sure but I doubt he ever majorly outscores him. I think under Murray Havlat will lead Ottawa in scoring. Especially if the nhl really does open up I dont think it will benefit anyone more then Havlat (clearly Kovalchuk and a few more speedy free wheeling players will benefit too but im saying his style). Havlat has the likes of Spezza, Alfredsson and Hossa to play with along with Redden on the pp, this will always guarantee him alot of points.

On the other hand Ovechkin could get 20 mins a night or more if Washington flog him to death. Prime powerplay time, prime offensive time, they will probably give him a license to be offense first and defense optional (just to keep the fans happy). Of course, he's got little support (at present), he'll see the best checkers and defenders.

Havlat will probably outscore him but he could still put up a surprising amount of point if Washington gets him some supporting forwards via UFA.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think Havlat will outscore him next year for sure and maybe the year after, but after that, Ovechkin should take over. He'll also be a MUCH better all-around player than Havlat, although Havlat's defensive game is improving slowly.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
TheCoach said:
Havlat will score more next year.

He'll also compete with Ovechkin in the scoring race in the future, as I think they'll both be two of the top scorers. However, Ovechkin will be the more complete player.

Think of Ovechkin as Forsberg and Havlat as Bure.

Havlat is one of my favorite players, but Bure?

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Man.Utd said:
He's shown improvement every year in his offensive game (as evident by his stats) and also his play in traffic, defensive game, etc. I doubt that trend will break. Not at age 23 (or is he 24 now?).
He has progressed very nicely. I think he has become ALL the player anyone could have asked. There is no shame in topping out at 35 goals/70pts/season.
I'm not saying his best seasons are behind him. I'm saying what we saw from him in 2004 is what were going to get. He might have go for 80pts in a season. I probably could be convinced that he could challenge for one of the top 3or4 seasons in the league in points.
I think Ovechkin will rise faster...and "top out" higher than Havlat,eventually.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Havlat is still stuck behind Alfredsson and Hossa on his team's depth chart on the right side. He won't be forever though and when that happens, he'll be one of the leagues' top 10 scorers. The thing is, so will Ovechkin who I think is more talented overall.

Buumbaclat22

Jun 21, 2005
SensGuy said:
I think he meant style wise.

Then if he MEANT Havlat's style is like Bure's... he's completely wrong.
Bure was a one-way only player... dont u remember how he use to stand on his defensive blue line, only to get his break-aways loool, ohhh how i remember laughing at that!

As for the question.. i think it will take Ovechkin maybe 3-4 years to catch up to Havlat... Imagine, Havlat's pts per game went from 0.58 to 0.69 to 0.88 to 1.00... and all that playing behind Alfie and Hossa!!
So we all agree Ovechkin is a more complete player and maybe a lil bit better offensively than Havlat. Let's say he gets 0.65 his first year, 0.78 second, 0.93 third and maybe at his 4th year, he'll get to the 1 pt/game ratio?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
me2 said:
On the other hand Ovechkin could get 20 mins a night or more if Washington flog him to death. Prime powerplay time, prime offensive time, they will probably give him a license to be offense first and defense optional (just to keep the fans happy). Of course, he's got little support (at present), he'll see the best checkers and defenders.

Havlat will probably outscore him but he could still put up a surprising amount of point if Washington gets him some supporting forwards via UFA.

No doubt he will score but he is a rookie and teams will easily be able to key on him. He may get some UFA help and he also may not we dont know but right now he has nothing to work with other than Semin.

Murray is on record of saying that Ottawa will be playing a much more wide open offensive style. He also said that Havlat will be moved to left wing and play on the first line, he has played left on team Czech multiple times. Jaques just never tried it for more than 10 minutes of one period (he never really tried anything).

Whoever suggests that a player that is 23 playin on the third line has topped out in production has absolutely no idea what he is talking about im sorry. Especially when the league is going to be opened up.

Sens4Cup

Mar 25, 2005
bert said:
No doubt he will score but he is a rookie and teams will easily be able to key on him. He may get some UFA help and he also may not we dont know but right now he has nothing to work with other than Semin.

Murray is on record of saying that Ottawa will be playing a much more wide open offensive style. He also said that Havlat will be moved to left wing and play on the first line, he has played left on team Czech multiple times. Jaques just never tried it for more than 10 minutes of one period (he never really tried anything).

Whoever suggests that a player that is 23 playin on the third line has topped out in production has absolutely no idea what he is talking about im sorry. Especially when the league is going to be opened up.

Very true. I think any evidence that a player has plateaud would have to include the fact that his production has topped out. Havlat has increased his production each season in the NHL, and was still a top candidate for rookie of the year in 2000-01. As well he put up 68 points in 68 games. If he can just sign before the season starts and stay relatively healthy even without increasing his PPG, he can have 80 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad