Ovechkin KHL Bound?

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Two lock-outs during Ovechkin's career, might be a third one coming. NHL wasted 1,5 seasons of prime Ovechkin. Without those lock-outs, it's possible that he might've had ~710 goals by now. That's only 185 more goals to tie Gretzky as the all time greatest goal scorer. And that's something we all know he could do, rather easily even considering he's still the most efficient scorer in the league today despite his age.

Now, if Laine is lucky, he'll miss no games because of lock-outs. Let's say he stays relatively healthy and plays until he's 40-years old. During the next 20 years, he'll play, um, let's say 1540 of the possible 1640 games. His GPG is .507. That kind of production seems sustainable, given that Ovechkin for example sits at .611 right now. Laine isn't as gifted, so he'll need more games.

I know what you're thinking. "But he's going to get older and his goal totals will drop". Yeah, without a doubt a 36-year old Laine isn't going to score at this rate. But the thing is... we haven't even seen Laine in his prime yet. He's only 20-years old, and has already scored 36, 44 and what seems like a ~40 goals this season. Who knows how many goals he'll score during the next ten years, you know, in his prime. The 55-goal seasons will even out the 30-goal seasons. It's safe to say that he's going to finish his career as at least a .507GPG player.

So, 1540 games. 781 goals. Add the 105 he already has. That's 885 goals. By then, he'll be 40-years old. 9 goals away from the Gretzky record. Will he bolt back to Sweden at this point, or will he play one more season and try and break the record. Only time will tell.

Call me crazy, but I believe in Patrik Laine. He might be the worst hockey player I've seen in the NHL since late Wade Belak, but man can he shoot the puck. He'll go down in history as the worst player to win the Rocket Richard trophy. He sucks ass, to be honest. But he has that deadly slapper, no doubt about it. And 20 years from now, all the little boys and girls in Sweden have forgotten the names "Forsberg", "Sundin" and "Kronwall". All they talk about is Patrik Laine. And that's because Laine will break the record that is unbreakable.

Puff Puff Pass, my man. Puff Puff Pass.

Reactions: EclecticDarkness

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Call me crazy, but I believe in Patrik Laine. He might be the worst hockey player I've seen in the NHL since late Wade Belak, but man can he shoot the puck. He'll go down in history as the worst player to win the Rocket Richard trophy. He sucks ass, to be honest. But he has that deadly slapper, no doubt about it. And 20 years from now, all the little boys and girls in Sweden have forgotten the names "Forsberg", "Sundin" and "Kronwall". All they talk about is Patrik Laine. And that's because Laine will break the record that is unbreakable.
No chance he will be viewed as the worst Richard winner. Cheechoo has that on lockdown.

Reactions: Sentinel

alce

Sep 29, 2017
He won’t be a legend? Ovi already is the most popular hockey player on the planet that currently plays.

Yes, Ovi is a legend in Russia.... No, he doesn’t have to prove anything in KHL. Plus, he’s chasing records and will get a huge long term deal next contract. He’s going to retire from hockey from the NHL.

No. He's celebrity. There's a huge difference between these two things. He isn't a legend now and has almost no chances to become one. And I haven't even talked about KHL. It's irrelevant if he has to or doesn't have to prove anything. A few years playing in Russia wouldn't do anything in that regard anyway. As I've said, unless he would make some sick performance on next Olympic, helping Russia to get gold, he wouldn't be considered one of the greatest here. Simply because a popular opinion here is that his performance for NT up to this day is a huge disappointment. Ovi is great guy that's always ready to play for the country and he deserve all the respect for that. And he has it. But that's obviously not enough to become a legend.

To clarify, his stats for NT aren't bad at all, but considering that he was hyped as one of the greatest players in late 2000s, they aren't something to brag about either.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Are you referring to the Olympics when you say sabotage hockey. Because as much as I dislike Bettman, I have to admit he did a pretty good job over the years.
Pretty good job hurting hockey. Even in his own league. Gary is the quintessence of a short term pretender. Not to mention the sabotage of corse. That will never be forgotten or forgiven. He is a plague and will be treated as such.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Finland - I could understand, but why would Swedish youths care?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If I were him and win the cup this year, I think I would retire from the NHL and go home to play a few years in KHL, then retire and coach or something.
Is that what you would do? You are going to score 50 goals again this season. You have a legit shot at the all time goals record. And you just walk away? No

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I dont see him leaving the NHL anytime soon. Maybe when he is in the twilight of his career like Datsyuk, but I'm confident that he will be in the NHL for years to come.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
No. He's celebrity. There's a huge difference between these two things. He isn't a legend now and has almost no chances to become one. And I haven't even talked about KHL. It's irrelevant if he has to or doesn't have to prove anything. A few years playing in Russia wouldn't do anything in that regard anyway. As I've said, unless he would make some sick performance on next Olympic, helping Russia to get gold, he wouldn't be considered one of the greatest here. Simply because a popular opinion here is that his performance for NT up to this day is a huge disappointment. Ovi is great guy that's always ready to play for the country and he deserve all the respect for that. And he has it. But that's obviously not enough to become a legend.

To clarify, his stats for NT aren't bad at all, but considering that he was hyped as one of the greatest players in late 2000s, they aren't something to brag about either.
Ovechkin is a legendary goal scorer today.

Reactions: Sentinel

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
But what's the point of breaking Gretzky's record, really? If Ovechkin retires as the leading goal scorer, it doesn't really matter because 15 years go by and Laine breaks his record. What he's going to do then? Make a comeback in his 50's like Gordie Howe?

Laine's final stat totals: 947 goals, 18 assists

The 8 ball told me

Reactions: Plural

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I will not be surprised, if he will play in KHL for season or two. His contract ends right before next Olympics. And that is all what he doesn't have - an Olympic gold.

I can imagine an scenario, that he will play in KHL 2 seasons and they come back to NHL.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I will not be surprised, if he will play in KHL for season or two. His contract ends right before next Olympics. And that is all what he doesn't have - an Olympic gold.

I can imagine an scenario, that he will play in KHL 2 seasons and they come back to NHL.

For those that missed it, Ov has said late last season that he wished he had signed a longer contract. He is not going anywhere.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
For those that missed it, Ov has said late last season that he wished he had signed a longer contract. He is not going anywhere.
That was actually Ted that said that, he was asked about the unprecedented 10 year contract he handed out and that was his response.

But yes, it's very clear that the Ovechkin's have made Washington their home and it would be pretty difficult to uproot them. I assume he will only find himself further ingrained in the area once his son is old enough to go to school. To me there are two types of foreign players, the ones who are extremely hesitant to dive full on into North America and always have an eye back to their home country (Semin, Varlamov, Orlov, etc. always gave/give me this vibe) and those who seem very content in NA. People seem to forget that for the last 14 years Ovechkin has spent the majority of his life in DC, he's only 33 years old, by the end of his career he will have easily spent more time in America than he ever spent in Russia. Could he return to Russia in the end? Maybe. I think it's likely he'll have some sort of presence over there, but I do think it's unlikely to see him spend the majority of his time there. By the time he retires his first child will be an adolescent, he will have live in America for about 20 years, he and his wife will have raised their child in that home, those aren't easy things to walk away from. It's odd because I think the majority of NHL players retire in the city they spent the most time in and no one bats an eye that they're living in Dallas or San Jose and not Moose Jaw.

Besides it's almost certain that the NHL and the Capitals will try to keep him around as an ambassador. Look at a guy like Peter Bondra, he lives in the DC area, he works for the team, never seemed to legit consider moving back to his home country.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Said Ovechkin: “If I take that time back, I would sign for 16 years, if I would know the situation that happened. But I’m happy I signed 13 years, and I’m happy I’m staying here for three more years.”

As to Bondra. He loves Annapolis. He was always the anti Jagr. For Leonsis part he came in hating the history and legacy of the team and has changed to fully embrace it. Seeing Rod Langway at the arena now vs never in the first several years as a for instance. I know that Kolzig still works for the team along with Bondra.

Leonsis has become one of the better owners in sports and the way he treats people has made a job with the Caps(player or otherwise) one of the best in the league. Ask Vogel.

I have recently wondered if Leonsis might not sell Ov a piece of the team when he is allowed to own it.

Reactions: Plural

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I hope not

He's the one guy who has a chance of breaking a gretzky record

He won a cup. If hes got it in him that should his next goal

Most goals of all time > winning another cup and retiring

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Pretty good job hurting hockey. Even in his own league. Gary is the quintessence of a short term pretender. Not to mention the sabotage of corse. That will never be forgotten or forgiven. He is a plague and will be treated as such.
He doesn't act on his own. He represents what the owners want. Those lock outs that everyone blames him for...aren't his call

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad