Ovechkin involved in legal battle between Avangard Omsk and Dynamo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Alexander Ovechkin (Washington Capitals): I want to go to Omsk!

So, where are you going to play in the coming up season?
A. Ovechkin: First of all, I would like to declare: unfortunately, the team that won the Russian Super League Championship doesn’t exist anymore. I don’t know if the new Dynamo will be weaker or stronger when compared to last season’s squad, but it will definitely be another team. There will be the same head coach, who I always had an excellent relationship with, but the team will be different. So, this is one of the main reasons why I decided to move on to another team. It’s very hard for me to leave my Dynamo. The situation that is going on right now, basically, doesn’t give me much of a choice.

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/article.php?article_id=315&PHPSESSID=4fa3489bbcc000df10e43b7ef59d3d29

Last edited by a moderator:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
It is my opinion, after extremely deep thought, that Ovechkin is doing this to separate himself from Dynamo Moscow. He has said countless times that he will come to the NHL as soon as possible. So then begs the question: why would he sign a big deal with a Superleague team if he wouldn't be able to get any of the money? The answer, it seems, is quite simple. To make the break from Dynamo Moscow. Dynamo officials have maintained their stance that they want to keep Ovechkin in Russia, basically at all costs. They demand upwards of 3 million dollars for the transfer fee alone! They want to keep him in Russia and in the Dynamo Club so they can make money off him.

Ovechkin would clearly rather make the break with Dynamo now--with a new CBA in sight--than suffer through the legal battles later that would extend into the season. He will already be nearly 20 years old in his rookie season--two years older than most rookies--and any longer delay takes away from what he will be able to accomplish in his NHL career. So anyway, Dynamo doesn't live up to their contract agreements--a gift in Ovechkin's battle--and Avangard makes a huge offer to Ovechkin that Dynamo has trouble matching. Ovechkin wants out of Dynamo--he has said so--and he wants out fast. His contract is up and he wants to play in the NHL.

Avangard has nothing to lose here. They have more money than they know what to do with, so they sign him in the hopes that there is no NHL season. If there is a NHL season, they lose nothing because Ovechkin won't get the money. Dynamo, on the other hand, loses everything. No matter what happens, they don't get to keep Ovechkin.

This isn't about a condominium, and it isn't about Ovechkin wanting a gigantic Superleague contract. This is about Ovechkin wanting to get out of Russia without having to fight in court in the middle of his rookie NHL season a la Zherdev.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
Avangard has nothing to lose here. They have more money than they know what to do with, so they sign him in the hopes that there is no NHL season. If there is a NHL season, they lose nothing because Ovechkin won't get the money.

Would Avangard be asking for a transfer fee if Ovechkin wants to go to Washington?

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Apparently he has until July 20'th to sign a deal with the Caps or he is obligated to play for Avangard next season. That is, of course, if the arbitration court rules in Avangard's favor. I assume Avangard won't ask a transfer fee if he signs with the Caps before July 20.

I'm right about this. I've been reading more Ovechkin interviews, and he said that if the arbitration court decides that Dynamo has his rights in Russia, he will immediately depart to America. He said he will not under any circumstances play for Dynamo again.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
"Ovechkin watches the succession of events from Cyprus.
- I shall not return to 'Dynamo ', - Alexander in telephone conversation with the correspondent ' SS ' has declared. - Believe me, that there are very serious reasons which I simply do not wish to discuss on a general review. I am told that the arbitration on my business is appointed for July, 14th. I am going to return to Moscow on the 13'th. Probably, personally I shall arrive for the session.

If PHL will side with Dynamo, and lock-out in NHL will remain, all the same I shall not return to Dynamo. I wish to address the Moscow fans
who have for certain apprehended my leaving negatively. Look, not only on where the player leaves but also why he leaves! The people knowing all of the circumstances, do not condemn me."

http://www.translate.ru/url/tran_url.asp?lang=ru&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hawk.ru%2Fnews.php3%3FID_News%3D2289&direction=re&template=General&cp1=NO&cp2=NO&autotranslate=on&transliterate=on&psubmit2.x=54&psubmit2.y=20

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
If arbitration says that Dynamo owns his rights and the lockout is still on he would go to America to play where? AHL? That would be so stupid.

OK, it's not going to happen since the deal is almost allready done and the season will start in time.
Oh, I want that deal so badly so that everyone just stops speculating about everything and that we know for sure what's happening.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
If the arbitration court rules in favor of Dynamo and there is no next season, he'll come over here and play in America or Canada, or maybe in another European country...who knows.

I really do think there will be a season though...they just better get it done fast so Ovechkin can play in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad