Ovechkin: Best Offensive Player of the Decade?

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I'll probably get a lot of heat for this, but I think Ovechkin is the best offensive player of the decade.

The guy has been good enough to win the Art Ross for the last three years had he not missed important games and even this year has started off "sub-par" (10 points in 10 games), he's still putting up the numbers.

I realize it's not exactly an easy thing to do seeing as Ovechkin has only played half of the decade, but has there been any other player since 99, or 2000 who has been as consistently dominant as Ovechkin besides Crosby?

I think as far as offensive output goes, Ovechkin is the best in the League, bar none.

Derick*

Of what decade? 2005 - 2015 or the decade that just passed?

If you mean the second: Peak, probably, but I think Thornton is the best offensive player of the decade overall. By far the decade's highest scorer, back-to-back 90 assist seasons (which only two other players have done).

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I can see some arguments for voting "yes", but he has a huge rival in Joe Thornton. Iginla was pretty consistent too and much more physicall and goal scorer than Thornton, similar to Ovechkin.

Cake or Death

Ovechkin, Thornton, Jagr (when he was trying). Somewhat tough call as Thornton played the entire decade, which should, imo, give Thornton the edge as far as decade status goes.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No it's Thornton, by default perhaps but still. He played 10 years. Ovechkin played 5 years. Ovechkins production didn't double Jumbo Joe's.

Of the last 5 years though? Yeah sure we can give it to him ever so slightly if you want:

Top scoring finishes:

Ovechkin - 1, 2, 3, 3, 13
Crosby - 1, 2, 3, 6, (injury riddled 72 pt. season)

Derick*

No it's Thornton, by default perhaps but still. He played 10 years. Ovechkin played 5 years. Ovechkins production didn't double Jumbo Joe's.

Of the last 5 years though? Yeah sure we can give it to him ever so slightly if you want:

Top scoring finishes:

Ovechkin - 1, 2, 3, 3, 13
Crosby - 1, 2, 3, 6, (injury riddled 72 pt. season)

Thornton (last five years only): 1, 2, 5, 8, 11

Not bad either.

Ovechkin is definitely the best offensive player of the last five years, though.

hockeyauthority

Thornton (last five years only): 1, 2, 5, 8, 11

Not bad either.

Ovechkin is definitely the best offensive player of the last five years, though.

Yeah no question about it, the more you look at Joe Thornton's career (in the regular season of course :sarcasm:) the more impressive it gets with each passing year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad