Ovechkin and Kovalchuk: Shut-Down and Shut-Out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

Ovechkin and Kovalchuk were both shut-down and shut-out by Finland.

Finland did a number on them. Brought them to justice. Brought their reign of terror to an end.

Put in their places, and beaten by a better team.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Russia still got farther than US, Canada, and Slovakia, and I believe would have beaten the Swedes. So if you're a gleeful fan of any of those teams, up yours!! Otherwise, I don't see the point of your post.

Finland shut down every Russian player.

Ovechkin still managed to claw his way in and generate some chances; I believe he'll learn and this will make him a better player - thanks Finland for the lesson.

Kovalchuk, he's not nearly as hard to shut down as his reputation would have you think... unfortunately.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
ferns8916 said:

Finland did a number on them. Brought them to justice. Brought their reign of terror to an end.

What's the purpose of this thread? Flame?

Sherlock

Aug 2, 2005
Minne-snow-ta
Kovalchuck was especially disappointing, considering I put money on him at 9:2 to lead the tournament in goals. Instead the only game he scores is against Latvia. Whattabastard.

Oh well. The Finns deserve everything they've gotten so far. They have been very, very good.

Kingz4ever

Feb 8, 2006
LA
thanks to don van massenhoven. all the clutching and grabbing the finns were doing made the game unwatchable. what a screw job by the ref.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
The_Eck said:

It's not crying when it's true.

I've always liked the Finns, and their work ethic and determination are still admirable qualities and do result in wins for Finland... but this trap is irritating, and there was too much clutching and grabbing through these games.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Meh, most of you will watch playoff hockey, right?

If your team outskates, outhits, outshoots, outhustles etc. the opposing team in game 7 of a playoff round and wins 4-0, I don't think any of you would say thats boring trap and a somehow dishonest hockey.

Finland did not play turtle hockey, they outshot and outplayed the russian superskills team and they won. And they won every other team that crossed their path.

Remember, this is playoffs hockey. What is this talk about trap? You lead the playoff game 7 and you don't just go all-offense?? Crazy I tell you!!

Apparently, smart team hockey = trap.

so, what I'm saying here is that none of you would take any of this "boring trap" BS if it was your team in game 7 in the playoffs. This is not recreational hockey for us non-NA hockey fans. So just drop it, alright?

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
ferns8916 said:

Ovechkin was Russia's best player.

He replaced Kovalchuck on the 1st line to start the 3rd.

Why it took that long is baffling.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
EroCaps said:

It should have been done earlier for sure. Ilya was just not playing well and bringing down (imo at least) that line. Dats and Kovy were playing pretty strong and putty AO there earlier might have generated more offence.

But with that said, I felt AO was being a too selfish against Finland, even when in the 3rd. He shot from bad angles and didn't look for the pass often enough. Although he did make a nice set up to Datsyuk towards the end of the game.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Joe Sakic, Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier, Simon Gagne, Brad Richards and everyone else on team Canada were also shut out, shut down and beaten by a better team.

Thanks for coming out.

KrisKing*

MOGiLNY said:
Joe Sakic, Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier, Simon Gagne, Brad Richards and everyone else on team Canada were also shut out, shut down and beaten by a better team.

Thanks for coming out.

No, thank you for coming out. Because that is totally what this thread is about.

KH1

KrisKing said:
No, thank you for coming out. Because that is totally what this thread is about.
It actually is. Finland has to this point shut down every opponent that they've faced, and Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are not at all alone in being beaten by the Finns.

Their problem specifically is that they seemed to get rattled and lose their gameplan after going down.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
kovalchuk was shut out by everyone but latvia.

finns didn't clutch and grab.

they played a trap.

and it worked very, very well.

shouldn't be a surprise. they did the same vs most teams.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
They are both clearly busts... send them to the salt mines will you.

I am frustrated out of my mind, two Olympics in a row we beat the defending gold medalist in the quarters and then lose a game in which we are favourites in the semis. Ovechkin and Kovalchuk were shutout in the final... but so was Russia's best player - Datsyuk. Hell, even the subs Nepryiev and Taratukhin were shutout, make a fuss over that, its a ****ing team sport... two guys getting shutout doesn't matter anymore than the next two guys being shutout.

Defence was our problem if you're going to make a fuss of guys being prevented from/not doing their job on their own. Kovalev, Volchenkov, Vishnesvky, Nepryiev, and Tartukhin belong to my #1 group of blame. Malkin, Kharitonov, Kovalchuk, Nabokov, and Krikunov make the 2nd unit.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Kovalchuck I understand but Ovechkin? He was clearly the best player for Team Russia. He generated offence and played 100% at the very end. Kovalchuck on the other has some previous history for something like this. He just needs to learn. He is very high skilled offensively but, imo, needs be more humble and play a little less by himself and more with the team.

EroCaps said:

Agreed.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Padawan said:
Kovalchuck I understand but Ovechkin? He was clearly the best player for Team Russia. He generated offence and played 100% at the very end. Kovalchuck on the other has some previous history for something like this. He just needs to learn. He is very high skilled offensively but, imo, needs be more humble and play a little less by himself and more with the team.

Disagree, Ovechkin may have been Russia's top offensive threat. However, the best player for Russia was Datsyuk by a fair margin. Losing Ovechkin would have effected the results of the team far less than losing Datsyuk.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
ovechkin wasn't russia's best player. datsyuk was, or maybe nabokov.

ovechkin was best in the last game. but datsyuk was certainly better overall, esp'lly on D. imo, malkin was also better than ovechkin.

i do think ovechkin should have replaced kovalchuk on 1st line. i wanted frolov to replace him, but then frolov got injured.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Slitty said:
Disagree, Ovechkin may have been Russia's top offensive threat. However, the best player for Russia was Datsyuk by a fair margin. Losing Ovechkin would have effected the results of the team far less than losing Datsyuk.
I think Datsyuk was fairly invisible, surprisingly I might add. Ovechkin seemed to be always there for Team Russia when they made it difficult for Team Finland. I think Ovechkin was the creative force for Team Russia against Team Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad