Ovechkin after 30, what can he do?

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
He'll keep on truckin and keep up a similar pace until about 34-35. The guy is a physical freak who hasn't had any devastating injuries this far into his career. I say he pots 200-250 more before he calls it a career

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
we are all so lucky to be able to watch an elite scorer play out his entire career in front of our eyes. what a phenomenal talent. I hope he gets a decent cup run in before he retires

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Didn't Ovechkin's mom say he's retiring at 35?

She said her son should retire at 35, but Ovi probably has other plans for himself. He loves the game, I can't see him calling it quits at 35. His contract expires when he turns 35, even if he retires from the NHL, he will probably look to play a final season in Moscow.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Bout tree fiddy

:laugh: Well played.

1026858_1336856947829_full.jpg

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
A lot of people has said Ovie doesn't seem interested in breaking records right now and I agree. He doesn't... Right now, but I reckon once he gets towards his twilight years if he has won a cup and he sniffs the chance for 800 goals I can't see him not going for it.

Baseballhockey24*

The truth is Ovechkin will not retire before 40, and some of the people who say he most likely will by 35, maybe just want him to.

If Ovechkin didn't really care too much about hockey he wouldn't be playing season-playoffs-wc every year. He loves playing and he will keep playing for as long as his heart is in the game

Considering the era were in, he is one of the toughest and most non-injury prone players of all time. He loves getting individual awards (even if he gives the standard answer like "awards are okay, but team blah blah"). Team awards are great, but being the best player or being the best at something is extremely rare.

No top players in any sport get to where they are without having an ego and wanting to be the best.

I expect Ovechkin to play until at least 41 or maybe 44 and if he gets close to 800 by 40, I can bet the farm he will try and break the goals record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He doesn't seem very interested about breaking records and making history, even now. This was his reaction to setting a new record for most goals by a LW :
"It’s a good time for us right now," Ovechkin said. "We have a chance, and we have to keep it going."

Doesn't look like a guy who plays to break records, I doubt he'd put his health on the line in the twilight of his career just to beat a record.

As for Russia, I think he'll retire around 40 from the NHL and play his last season as a pro for Dynamo Moscow. When he went back for the lockout, he was having a blast playing for his childhood team in his hometown with his friend Backstrom.

I could see him pushing to 43 or 44 years old in the NHL if he can stay healthy the rest of his career.

To me that comes across like he's being a leader and doesn't have much to do necessarily with how he really feels. I still think it is hard to know how someone would feel about the all time type records until they feel they are getting older and trying to still feel young and accomplish things. Some people really don't care, most do.

His contract is up after his 35 year old season. If he were to only score 50+45+45+40+35+35 over the rest of his contract (which I think is pretty reasonable) that would put him at 725 career goals as a 35 going on 36 year old. The guy has a great chance at finishing his career as the 2nd leading goal scorer in NHL history. That is pretty awesome and I hope he both wins a Cup in his prime and breaks all the records he can.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I'm actually pretty sad right now thinking that he's already 30, feels like just yesterday he came into the league. I can honestly say I'll never see a Capital as great as him. I really wish every fan got to have a player as great as Ovie on there team because watching a great player like him start to finish with his career is like no other.

I actually get mad at how much of Ovechkins prime was wasted because of Mcphee and rookie coaches. He deserves a cup more that anyone

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He'll probably continue to get 20-30 goals per season on the PP alone. And that's if they don't crack down on the obstruction again, in which case he can probably get up to 30-40 goals in a season just on the PP.

Even if he does slow down slightly on 5v5 over the next few seasons, I still think he could get ~200 goals in these next 5 seasons. Again, unless they crack down on obstruction.

If he takes care of himself, he can probably score another 300-350 goals before he hits 40.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm actually pretty sad right now thinking that he's already 30, feels like just yesterday he came into the league. I can honestly say I'll never see a Capital as great as him. I really wish every fan got to have a player as great as Ovie on there team because watching a great player like him start to finish with his career is like no other.

I actually get mad at how much of Ovechkins prime was wasted because of Mcphee and rookie coaches. He deserves a cup more that anyone

Yep.

Having Ovi on the team has made losing and choking tolerable, because at least we get to watch a legendary player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad