Olympics: OV on Team Canada?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The guy's comparing Ovy to Lebron and says that Ovy would be Captain Canada if he were born here.

Now let's say Captain Canada decides his team hasn't been 'competent enough' to surround him with the right pieces to win a championship. So he goes off and signs with the New York Yankees, completely abandoning the team who drafted and relied on him. Greedy?

How do you think the people of Cleveland feel about Lebron?

Team Canada didn't need enigmatic players to win. They needed team-first players. Guys that bought in. And that isn't Ovy's M.O. He's still a great player, but he's always been me-first.

Ovechkin wouldn't be the captain of Canada if he was elligible, but he would be viewed in a different light. As far as Lebron goes, he owed Cleveland nothing. They drafted him, and he carried a terrible supporting cast as far as anyone realistically could. Leaving a situation with an inept management group for a better opportunity is not greedy. Players should want to win. I'm thinking many Cleveland fans might be just a little biased when it comes to Lebron James.

Of course Canada didn't need Ovechkin to win. They already won without him. They would be better with him though.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Does the coach ask him to float? Ovechkin played with Malkin and Semin and didn't do squat. Are those not superstars enough for you? And Ovechkin a captain on Team Canada? Are you freaking kidding?!? YOU are comical :laugh:. He wouldn't be named captain like Stamkos wouldn't be either. They're not the type of players Team Canada usually chooses to captain.

A story surfaced that both him and Malkin had problems with that coach.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
He would've helped with our scoring. We had trouble scoring in some of those games we should have blown the other team out of the water. Ovechkin one of the greatest left wingers of all time and playing with Crosby would've immediately solved it. Canada still would've won gold either way, I think it would've been by larger scores.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Since he's a defensive liability, it's hard to say given TC's game plan. There was also no room for individualistic play.

Probably would have spent more time on the bench as the tourney went on.

Davebo*

OV would NOT make Team Canada worse. He's a better finisher than anyone on Team Canada.
I think he'd need to adjust, but his skill is a huge asset for any team.

I think it's safe to say that your last statement would be better worded "but his skill is a huge asset for any team - if properly channelled"

If he could stow his ego, and do as his team mates and play the team game, he'd be a great asset. Can he do that?

Here's an interesting counter-question - feel free to create a new thread...

What would Toews be like on Team Russia? Would be be able to influence the Russians? Would the Russians just see him as a cancer?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Terrible coaching is a valid excuse, stop being such a patriotic homer.
If I was a patriotic homer, I'd also say that Malkin is a crap player, but I'm not. Despite him not having a great Olympic, I still consider him the 2nd best player in the world. Ovechkin on the other I have many doubts. I may be wrong, but please stop with this anti-Russian thing. It's like I'm going to accuse every one who criticizes a Canadian player of anti-Canadian or a patriotic homer. I don't like him not because he's Russian, but because of his play. You can say my reasoning is wrong, but lay off the nationality bias accusation, it's freaking tiresome.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Ovie is the biggest superstar floater in the NHL. He never wins anything and is not a leader. I would not want him on my team. He's a cancer.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ovie is the biggest superstar floater in the NHL. He never wins anything and is not a leader. I would not want him on my team. He's a cancer.

Tavares never wins anything and is not a leader. I would not want him on my team. He's a cancer.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
While I don't doubt his willingness to play within Canada's system, from his NHL play, I'm not sure I see the ability in him to play an effective two way game or learn one quick enough in such a short tourney.

He most likely would have been playing sheltered minutes.

Davebo*

We've got this all backwards - Team Canada would make Ovechkin better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad