OT: Outdoor roller hockey rinks in PA

pughater

Jan 25, 2008
montgomery county
blue bell as someone mentioned before there is an outdoor rink on north wales rd.

Colmar- Whistlestop park.

Horsham park-

Spring valley park

all located in montgomery county

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
I can so help with this!!!!

Lebanon county, Jackson twp just east of Myerstown, Quarry Rd south of Main St. Nice rink, public, no fee. Re-habed above two years ago. Smooth asphalt painted surface. Nice rink. Downers, surface starting to come up in some areas, trying to to get the county to address this. Goals suck. Good for ball, fair for puck. Some areas puck go under kicker boards. Still a good rink. I started a facebook page on it. No organized teams or games.

Lebanon count Cornwall boro Boyd St south of Minersvillage, very nice rink, public, no fees. Don't use Google maps to find, wrong street names listed.

Hope this helps.

PS Google maps satillite image of Jackson county rink photos before the rehab. Both Google and Bings images are so old they don't show the rink in cornwall.

MIke

I second the Minersvillage rink. Very nice and in a nice , quiet town.

Not sure if the Jackson Borough is the same one as I'm thinking, but I know Sinking Springs use to have a very nice rink. Nice boards, glass and lights.

Haven't been there in years.

sxHarr05

Feb 19, 2012
Montgomery County,PA
Didn't know about the one in Blue Bell. I'll have to check it out since it's nearby (Ambler).
Stony Creek Park +++
http://ambler.patch.com/listings/stony-creek-sports-park#photo-5267454

Upper State Road next to Mary, Mother of the Redeemer (MMR)-Spring Valley Park. + http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ge&ved=0CAgQtgM&iwloc=cids:376217383515540391

Kenas Road off of Horsham Road-(where the nursery/garden place is) Windlestrae Park++ http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=W...as+Rd&city=North+Wales&state=PA&zipcode=19454

Whistlestop in Colmar (Mentioned)E/-
http://lansdale.patch.com/listings/whistlestop-park

Belmont, off the Sure-kill Expressway (Belmont/Manyunk exit)++
http://www.lowermerion.org/Index.aspx?page=921

Venice Island on the Manyunk Canal (IF it was ever reopened).Edit: Apparently they just recently started the demo on the entire island so it'll be awhile.
Was just informed there is one near Wintersport in Willow Grove,off of Railroad Ave. ?
Horsham Park, as previously mentioned. E/-

Last edited:

sxHarr05

Feb 19, 2012
Montgomery County,PA
I went and checked out Stony Creek Park in Blue Bell today. Awesome facilities. Rink is a pretty good size (compared to Horsham, Whistlestop), with full boards topped with chain-link. Two small sets of bleachers on one side, player benches, penalty boxes and scorekeepers box on the other. Surface is smooth rolling. Only issue is that the center red line has a few spots where the top-coat is coming off but it doesn't effect playability (unlike similar spots on the ice of the now-defunct Melodybrook :laugh:). It is also lighted, though I'm not sure what time the power gets cut. Nets are in serviceable shape, piping is solid if not in need of a quick coat of paint.

One thing I noticed is that the sign states "For Whitpain Township residents and guests". I'm guessing most say that? There is also a requirement for full gear sans shoulder pads when playing a game. I was there by myself so it was gloves and helmet. There is league play there and permits for rental/parties are available.

Overall a very nice facility.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
Um, there is one behind the wawa off route 30 in downingtown, you can see it easily from the route 30 bypass. It's nice and not frequently used. I'll probably try to get some people together to play there shorty. Not playing ice hockey due to my concussions is killing me, so I'm going to try getting back into ball hockey since a street hockey ball won't have the same impact as a puck on an ice hockey goalie mask, or at least thats my theory. since F=MV and though velocity may be similar, mass of a ball is much less.

whskybarJM

Jan 3, 2009
ca
there was once a place called family fun spot off 322. 2 water slides, a go cart track, and an outdoor rink. many many many fights with other middle schools. many fun times with the other schools girls behind the locker room.

jeese I am old

Keaver

Mar 4, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I saw this thread a little while ago before I made my account and I actually have a few in Philadelphia. I actually just started playing roller yesterday I bought some Missions off craigslist for 30$ so I've just been working on my skating but anyway here are some local outdoor rinks.

There's 2 a larger full size and a smaller one at Fox Chase Recreation Center located on Rawn Street in northeast Philadelphia.

Theres 1 rink located at the Liberty Bell Youth Organization fields right next to the basketball courts on Chalfont Avenue right off of academy road in the northeast.

Then there's 1 rinks in Port Richmond at Monkiewicz playground right when you get off i95 at the Allegheny exit. At the intersection of Allegheny ave and Richmond street.

I know people play at Fox Chase every night and they keep the lights on until 10pm. I also see people play at Monkiewicz every night but I don't think they have lights.

Not as many people play at liberty bell but they keep their lights on until 10 or 11.

HartsyMania

What, me worry?
May 14, 2010
Pennsylvania
So this is random, but my friends and I have been playing in a league for 2 years now in Hazleton, pa, but a few guys moved so we're left without a lot of guys for our team this season. Would anyone here happen to be from the area and be interested, or know somebody? The league would start next week.

We have about 5 skaters and a goalie, but a few guys for a line change would just make life so much easier and make games much more fun / competitive

It's a lot of fun, nice rink - games are twice a week. Website is http://www.hazletonstreethockey.com

Like I said - slim chance but worth a shot.

chappie

lemon snow!
Jan 26, 2007
Philadelphia
Bumping an old thread, anyone know of any good indoor places? I'm in the Norristown area and would like to get back to playing some during the winter and can't really afford the ice again right now.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Bumping an old thread, anyone know of any good indoor places? I'm in the Norristown area and would like to get back to playing some during the winter and can't really afford the ice again right now.

422 Sportsplex in Pottstown. Played there for a couple years. Haven't been there in awhile since I've been in college.

Edit: didn't realize Bringbackstevens posted the link for 422 sportsplex.

Stizz09

Jul 13, 2012
Ohhh, come on...really? None of you bums know of any rinks in or around West Chester?

I guess maybe there really just aren't any.

theres a decent one in Caln Park in Thorndale, Pa prollie bout a 15 min drive from West Chester... fairly new but I really don't think it gets used often... also one near United Sports TC at Broad Run Park.

sxHarr05

Feb 19, 2012
Montgomery County,PA
Thread Revival!

BringBackStevens and Couturier Effect, have either of you played open at Inline309, specifically on a Sunday? I haven't played inline in awhile and don't want to go and get smoked. Is it laid back? Up-tempo but friendly/casual? I've played open on ice where guys thought it was B-League Playoffs. Not looking for that kind of atmosphere as a jumping in point. In speaking to the guy that runs Hockey House (Brian?), he gave the impression it's usually a pretty good group of guys.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Thread Revival!

BringBackStevens and Couturier Effect, have either of you played open at Inline309, specifically on a Sunday? I haven't played inline in awhile and don't want to go and get smoked. Is it laid back? Up-tempo but friendly/casual? I've played open on ice where guys thought it was B-League Playoffs. Not looking for that kind of atmosphere as a jumping in point. In speaking to the guy that runs Hockey House (Brian?), he gave the impression it's usually a pretty good group of guys.

If I do open its usually Fridays. But I've done Sundays as well. Skill levels are wide ranging but I've never seen anyone be a dick to someone on a lower skill level/just getting back into it. The games are definitely laid back.

My suggestion is to go when all of the area colleges are back in session. College kids are by far the most obnoxious in terms of thinking they are hot ****, not passing, etc.

sxHarr05

Feb 19, 2012
Montgomery County,PA
If I do open its usually Fridays. But I've done Sundays as well. Skill levels are wide ranging but I've never seen anyone be a dick to someone on a lower skill level/just getting back into it. The games are definitely laid back.

My suggestion is to go when all of the area colleges are back in session. College kids are by far the most obnoxious in terms of thinking they are hot ****, not passing, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually justt getting in from 309. A few points:

1. In the hour I was suited up, I took warmups and 4 shifts. There were enough players to do two full changes. That's fine by me as I was pretty gassed by the mid point.

2. While there were 1 or 2 floor hogs, most rotated fairly regularly. And everyone seemed cool, and involved all players.

3. I NEED indoor wheels if I'm gonna keep doing this.

4. Damn, I got fat! But I knew that.

Overall it was a good time. Saw some good skill and also saw what I need for my game. Which is mostly to just keep at it. It's different enough from ice that I had to think about things a little but some of that was due to the outdoor wheels and sliding when maneuvering.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually justt getting in from 309. A few points:

1. In the hour I was suited up, I took warmups and 4 shifts. There were enough players to do two full changes. That's fine by me as I was pretty gassed by the mid point.

2. While there were 1 or 2 floor hogs, most rotated fairly regularly. And everyone seemed cool, and involved all players.

3. I NEED indoor wheels if I'm gonna keep doing this.

4. Damn, I got fat! But I knew that.

Overall it was a good time. Saw some good skill and also saw what I need for my game. Which is mostly to just keep at it. It's different enough from ice that I had to think about things a little but some of that was due to the outdoor wheels and sliding when maneuvering.

Yes, indoor wheels are critical, that will cripple your ability to change direction and stop.

The biggest downside to 309 pick up is often there can be too many people. I've gone before when there were close to 20 players on each bench. But when you get there and there's < ~8 skaters a side, you get a good amount of ice time.

sxHarr05

Feb 19, 2012
Montgomery County,PA
Little late on my annual bump. My apologies.

Yes, indoor wheels are critical, that will cripple your ability to change direction and stop.

Re: Wheels. I switched to Labeda Shooters as a low-cost trial and they've done well for public skates, but haven't played on them yet. Even so, the difference in starts and maneuverability is huge compared to the stock Bauer wheels. I may try to hit open at some point. My 14 year old is playing 16U rec there and I get that itch while watching the games.

Re: Stony Creek Park: We've been skating there on Monday afternoons, 5:00 or so. At about 6:30 a group of regulars starts showing up for their 7:00-ish game. Anyone here?

Re: Horsham (Carl Kohler Park): Looks as though the township is kinda "meh" with regards to upkeep. There are some cracks in the surface which have been sealed but you still notice them and the rink was littered with tree and plywood debris. Gotta take a broom next time. lol

So any forum locals still hitting any of these spots (or Windlestrae or Spring Valley)?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00