Outdoor game

MNhockey19

Jul 10, 2011
Minnesota
Should the Wild just make their own outdoor game (like the stadium series/heritage classic?) and forget about waiting for the winter classic? Have it on hockey day Minnesota, play someone like Winnipeg or Colorado.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The League has rink standards, any deviation would have to be approved by the league. League wouldn't approve it unless they control it and the TV(NBC)

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
IIRC, the league has to approve it first, and then the opposing team would most likely have to sign on board as well. Which sucks because I would rather we did our own thing and played a Hockey Day in MN game. Not to mention I would be shocked if a lot of the players would want to play for 2 points in mid Janauary in Minneapolis when the temp can be anywhere between -15 and 20.

PredragD

May 5, 2011
I would be shocked if the Stadium Series returned in 14-15 and snubbed the Wild again. If it returned, the games would probably be in Feb/Mar since the weekend before the Super Bowl goes to the All Star Game. An outdoor game vs. the Blackhawks at TCF in March sounds pretty sweet to me.

OpRedDawn*

At first I really wanted a winter classic, now I couldn't care less. I'd rather not the league cash in on that stuff, especially since it's turned into a marketing gimmick for nontraditional markets

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
The wild weren't snubbed for stadium series, they declined in order to wait for winter classic. Also I think they rejected stadium series because they thought they might be in for 2015 wc. Maybe that changes next year?

PredragD

May 5, 2011
If it is WC or no outdoor game, they will likely be waiting till 2017. With the Vikes playing in TCF the next two years, the NFL schedule makers would have to make special accommodations to allow for the necessary time to setup the ice for New Year's Day. Target Field could be an alternative, but the NHL is trying to avoid WCs in baseball parks (could be a reason why a specific location in DC is not yet confirmed).

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Honestly I don't care anymore. The problem with it being, it is always teams I don't give a lick about. If the Wild were in it, I I might be more excited. Like previously posted it has just become a gimmick and typically it is sub par quality hockey. Ice was just terrible for the Ranger games. If Minnesota does have a outdoor game though I do prefer it is on Hockey Day Minnesota. Just seems appropriate.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm guessing the Wild settle for one of those Stadium games.

I'm souring on outdoor hockey. It's awesome when you are playing shinny and the weather is nice. Otherwise it's a money grab with terrible sight lines, expensive tickets, and crappy weather conditions.

NHLPodium

Dec 5, 2012
I would be shocked if the Stadium Series returned in 14-15 and snubbed the Wild again. If it returned, the games would probably be in Feb/Mar since the weekend before the Super Bowl goes to the All Star Game. An outdoor game vs. the Blackhawks at TCF in March sounds pretty sweet to me.

The Wild didn't get snubbed. Leipold had a chance at a Stadium Series game but turned it down because he wants the big game.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Wild didn't get snubbed. Leipold had a chance at a Stadium Series game but turned it down because he wants the big game.

I don't believe that Leipold was offered a SS game, it's just that he didn't put the Wild's name in the hat to get one. According to Russo, Leipold will lobby for an SS game next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad