Speculation: Outdoor Game Ticket Prices?

Silver7

Dec 17, 2007
Ottawa
Does the NHL sell these tickets or do the Sens? Either way, it's going to be expensive.

I'm guessing the Heritage Classic last year in Winnipeg is a good starting point, which had a 33,000 seat stadium:

cut.jpg

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
I wanna go, but I can't justify that price. I'd rather save that money for a playoff game.

If this was 2008 or so when the outdoor games were fresh, count me in.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
9 years ago when outdoor games were cool I might have considered it, but if those are the prices then I'm happy to let other people go.

Silver7

Dec 17, 2007
Ottawa
9 years ago when outdoor games were cool I might have considered it, but if those are the prices then I'm happy to let other people go.

I'd like to go, but paying a min $200 to freeze and not be able to see anything is a bit much.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'd like to go, but paying a min $200 to freeze and not be able to see anything is a bit much.

Also, stadium/outdoor games are played out.

When they first started and they only did one per year, it was a spectacle. Everyone tuned in. Then they started doing a bunch per year and now no one outside the city where it is hosted gives a crap.

I can't even tell you how many times in the last few years that I tuned into SportsCentre and saw highlights and was like, "Oh, they had a stadium game today?"

No one cares about them anymore.

Is it bad that I'm more excited about seeing the jersey that the Sens will have than the actual game?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'll probably go hang around the stadium, maybe watch the game on the plaza if there is a big screen. Should be fun.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I get that the stadium thing seems played out, but this is in our hometown and our home team!? Ottawa's played once in an 'outdoor' game, which was in a brutal stadium on the other side of the country.

If you're a Sens fan, how can you not be stoked about hosting this for the first time?!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm definitely going.

Some of the attitudes above are why the stadium will be filled with Habs fans. Because they jump at the chance of supporting their team instead of complaining.

It's a chance to thump your chest about the Sens in downtown Ottawa. The party will be insane.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
In that case above for Winnipeg, it was taxes in and technically for two games. So 200 for two games for a different experience against a rival? Yeah I'd buy and come see.

NHL is in control of the ticket sales though, they basically pay Ottawa for a sellout for the missing home game and then redistribute the take amongst all teams equally from what I understand.

I believe Toronto's game at BMO sold the alumni game and outdoor game separately.

So pretty sure they'll price it as the market will bear.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I get that the stadium thing seems played out, but this is in our hometown and our home team!? Ottawa's played once in an 'outdoor' game, which was in a brutal stadium on the other side of the country.

If you're a Sens fan, how can you not be stoked about hosting this for the first time?!

I am absolutely looking to go to this. Just hope I can find affordable tickets.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
That's even more expensive (looking at the Wpg prices) than All Star Weekend. I paid $500 for two lower 300s in 2012 and that would only get two yellows where you'd be so low that you'd have to watch on the jumbotron assuming it was visible from your seats.

At those prices I'd rather attend the Grey Cup, or maybe buy a brand new TV to watch the outdoor game that I'm unlikely to be at.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Is it bad that I'm more excited about seeing the jersey that the Sens will have than the actual game?
The tweet that the team sent out seems to hint at using the heritage classic design again. Or they could have just used it since it's the only other "outdoor" game we've been a part of.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
why are ottawans so cheap tho.
185-400$ is fair for a memorable game like this if thats the pricing.

SegzKnightlySpoons

Jun 16, 2011
Cant see **** from way up high either! :laugh:

Yeah, but at least you would be able to follow the action. Imagine this view with boards up:

nkd48n9.jpg

You might see some of the ice, otherwise you would just see the players' heads pretty much. May as well watch at home from that viewpoint (in my opinion of course).

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm definitely going.

Some of the attitudes above are why the stadium will be filled with Habs fans. Because they jump at the chance of supporting their team instead of complaining.

It's a chance to thump your chest about the Sens in downtown Ottawa. The party will be insane.

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that these stadium games are old news. Not many people outside of Ottawa will care that there's an outdoor game. Habs fans will tune in because it is their team playing, not because the game is outside at TD Place.

I appreciate the assumption that I don't support the Sens though. I guess going to multiple games at CTC every year, buying a ton of merchandise for my kids, and following the team religiously doesn't mean jack **** because I'm not sporting a stiffy while gently caressing my nut sack because there's an outdoor game in Ottawa.

And don't act like every Habs fan on planet Earth is saving up their nickels right now so they can have a chance to go to this game.

Is it cool for Ottawa to get an outdoor game? Sure. I'll most likely bring my family to Landsdowne to experience the atmosphere and if there are fun things to do, then we'll do those. I'm just of the opinion that these games aren't that big of an attraction to people who are OUTSIDE of the city where they are hosted.

Melnyk said that this game will elevate the status of the franchise around the league, or in Canada, or whatever. C'mon man. No it won't. No one in Edmonton who isn't a Sens or Habs fan is going to wake up on Dec 17th, 2017 and say, "Hot dang! It's outdoor game day in Ottawa! WOOOOOO!!!"

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Considering those prices were for 2 games, I find that surprisingly reasonable.

I'll be going with some friends. I don't care for the games happening in other cities, but this game is a pretty big deal compared to most of the other outdoor games.

It's literally the 100th anniversary (almost to the day) of the first NHL game that happened to be between the Sens and Habs. Canada is 150yo, the cup is 125yo. It's technically just one of 82 games in the season, but there is historical significance for the Sens organisation to this game.

I'll be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad