Out of towner - Oilers@Blues Wednesday

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Great atmosphere. Tons of great hockey fans. Enjoyed my stay. Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread with helpful tips.

Glad you had a good time, just glad you didn't get a chance to savor a victory. :sarcasm:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
In somewhat of a similar situation will be catching the habs in St louis in january. Have a reservation ( cancellable) at lumiere hotel. Reviews are hit and miss some say its good, some say its an ageing dump. Any advice? Thinking of it or hyatt regency or one of the drury's. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also does the hop bus ( a painted school bus that drives you to different microbrewerys run in the winter?). If this is better by PM, fine by me.

Lakebum

Apr 2, 2014
The Drury by the Arch is where my wife and I usually stay. Within walking distance to the game and the last 2 years you got a signed puck with the night stay. Unfortunately they do not do it anymore but the prices are still decent. One time I called and they told me a rate of 200 dollars and I told them I would call around for better rates. I called around and they were about the same as the others so I called the Drury back and they dropped the rate to 130 without even trying. So I guess the moral of the story is keep calling back until you get the price you want.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Pretty much. Hotel rates in any major city will be $200+, but they only lose money if they aren't selling the room. The cost of an additional customer is pretty small, so it's pretty easy to get a lower rate if you know how to play it, especially if you are only staying for a night or so. They rather have you in at a discount than have you not stay there at all.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
thanks for the responses so far, we still have plenty of time to figure it out.

any personal opinions of the lumiere ? some early reviews said that the visiting teams stayed there but more recent reviews questioning its age and cleanliness have me worried. the recent reviews seem to be to both extremes ( its great/ its awful) I have no real desire to stay at the same hotel as the players, autographs are just not my thing, but what is my thing is staying in places that are not dumps.

looking forward to the trip

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's not the hotel I would stay at. I personally stick to Hiltons because that's where my points are. Sticking with hotels owned by the major chains is best for consistency IMO.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
thanks for the responses so far, we still have plenty of time to figure it out.

any personal opinions of the lumiere ? some early reviews said that the visiting teams stayed there but more recent reviews questioning its age and cleanliness have me worried. the recent reviews seem to be to both extremes ( its great/ its awful) I have no real desire to stay at the same hotel as the players, autographs are just not my thing, but what is my thing is staying in places that are not dumps.

looking forward to the trip

If you are renting a car the Double Tree in Collinsville, IL (about a 15 minute drive to downtown STL) is awesome. Been to a few conventions there. Really nice place, great bar and restaurant inside and they give you free warm cookies at the front desk anytime you ask! They are actually tasty too. Outside of the city if you don't like staying in the city. And you get to drive over the Mississippi river to go downtown right at the Arch which is still awesome to me to this day.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If you are renting a car the Double Tree in Collinsville, IL (about a 15 minute drive to downtown STL) is awesome. Been to a few conventions there. Really nice place, great bar and restaurant inside and they give you free warm cookies at the front desk anytime you ask! They are actually tasty too. Outside of the city if you don't like staying in the city. And you get to drive over the Mississippi river to go downtown right at the Arch which is still awesome to me to this day.

I appreciate the help, we are going to try and stay downtown simply because if I'm going to the game, I'm gonna be drinking which means a cab or hoofin it.. Since its in mid january, a cab sounds pretty good to me. And a short trip I dont want to worry about driving anywhere. park the car friday pick it up sunday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad