Out Of Town Thread Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Man. Colorado is gearing up for something huge. Would not be surprised if they offer sheeted Aho or Marner.

Meanwhile (and I had to double check that to make sure), Arizona is tight against the cap. Chayka really is a pretty bad manager. And their drafting in recent years has been suspect at best.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Exactly, Poile made his bed. The top D he has given away - I didn’t even include Suter - is criminal. Can you imagine the reaction around here is we lost a guy like Suter for nothing?
pretty much all attempts to land good Cs and he failed on all of them (even Johanssen, for anyone who watched some Seth Jones last spring)

everything else is fine but he just can't fix his C line.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Dude, what have you done for me lately? 12 months ago he was a finalist to the norris. He'd had his back problems in the last,season, so I guess just one season settles it, right.

What he is, is still up in the air
I don't think you'd say that if he was still a top pairing Dman...so I think we're aligned on this.

Also, I've always thought Subban's best years were as a Hab...not a Predator.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It's not about the quality of the player. It's about two guys who benefit way more from Montreal than Montreal benefits from them, who do nothing to improve their teams significantly, and in both cases (Weise in 2016, Byron in 2019), bear a cap hit that would be better served filling more pressing needs. Like size and grit on the wings.

Byron played 56 games this season, missing action on three separate occasions because of injury and also sitting out three games for a suspension. (He was also scratched for the final game of the season as a preventative measure.)
With the flashy forward in the lineup, the Canadiens posted a 33-19-4 record - good for a .589 winning percentage - and earned 70 of a possible 112 points, giving them a .625 points percentage. In the 26 games without Byron's services, the Habs went 11-11-4 (.423) and earned 26 of 52 points (.500).

Recap: 2018-19 proof the Habs are better with Byron

Byrons impact on the team is understated. Sure its not all on him and I am sure we can find some other reasons like injuries to other players, cold streaks etc....

But bottom line is that the team performs better with Byron in the lineup, he brings speed, goals, and makes our PK dangerous.

Reactions: MasterDecoy

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Is anything I'm saying part of the"there's something" gang or did I summarize exactly what happened fairly succinctly? Does this sound like a player who's seen as a star because last I checked, teams made room and sent a **** ton of assets for player who they perceive as being star players.

I've asked you this before, but how can a team just "clear up" $8 mil just like that?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
you don't get it Oz...

contender trrading Trouba for futures : makes sense
contender trading Niskanen for ****ing Gudas : obviously makes sense
contender trading Subban for youth : guaranteed there's "something".
That's what you got from my posts on Subban even though I specifically stated that I wasn't interested in discussing nonsense about his perceived disruption with teammates?

You'd be hard pressed to find a poster who defended Subban against this very perception more then I.

I don't think he's as good as he used to be when he was with the Habs...that's got nothing to do with anything other then his game.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hey big genius, Subban has back problems on a 9m contract on a team that was win now.

That can easily explain the underlying reasons. Don't need to invent anything.
And according to this insightful scenario of yours, Shero and the Devils are too stupid to have an expert look at medical records. And btw you can take your arrogant attitude and take a long walk into the north country with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Byron played 56 games this season, missing action on three separate occasions because of injury and also sitting out three games for a suspension. (He was also scratched for the final game of the season as a preventative measure.)
With the flashy forward in the lineup, the Canadiens posted a 33-19-4 record - good for a .589 winning percentage - and earned 70 of a possible 112 points, giving them a .625 points percentage. In the 26 games without Byron's services, the Habs went 11-11-4 (.423) and earned 26 of 52 points (.500).

Recap: 2018-19 proof the Habs are better with Byron

Byrons impact on the team is understated. Sure its not all on him and I am sure we can find some other reasons like injuries to other players, cold streaks etc....

But bottom line is that the team performs better with Byron in the lineup, he brings speed, goals, and makes our PK dangerous.

Good post! Byron needs more respect like this from our fan base.

Reactions: scrubadam

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That's what you got from my posts on Subban even though I specifically stated that I wasn't interested in discussing nonsense about his perceived disruption with teammates?

You'd be hard pressed to find a poster who defended Subban against this very perception more then I.

I don't think he's as good as he used to be when he was with the Habs...that's got nothing to do with anything other then his game.
I have no clue what you're saying about Subban, I rarely read your posts. Even when you quote mine I have a hard time reading the whole reply.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Exactly, Poile made his bed. The top D he has given away - I didn’t even include Suter - is criminal. Can you imagine the reaction around here is we lost a guy like Suter for nothing?

With regards to Suter read this article and tell me how anyone could blame the GM.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I've asked you this before, but how can a team just "clear up" $8 mil just like that?

There’s a bunch of different ways but off the top of my head, trade Turris, Bonino, Smith, Jarnkrok etc. Or anyone of the other top 3 D left which they decided against.

When there’s a will, there’s a way.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Offer Turris/Ekholm in a deal. Offer up Tolvanen/first round 2019/20. Nashville is in a different position than us. They are contending now.

Or smarter yet - don't make a move for the sake of doing it. Keep the formula that worked 2 years ago. Stop tinkering.

Wait...hold up. You'd move Ekholm in a deal to get rid of Turris? :huh:
No wonder some of you guys are so confused about the Subban deal. Ekholm is hands down better than Subban and along with Josi is our best defenseman. The fact that he only makes 3.75M for the next three years is the real reason anybody associates Poile's name with the word genius.

Subban is a non-essential player for us, we want to both contend and add for our future. Our prospect pool is bottom five, maybe bottom three. Moving our best prospect or a first is out of the question.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Anders Lee meeting with teams? Sounds like exactly the kind of guy that would fit seemlessly in our lineup. Gritty character guy with skill. Definitely should be top priority on the FA market. Only other guy that's worth giving a fat contract would be Myers, but we're already pretty deep at RD.

Reactions: Habs Icing

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
There’s a bunch of different ways but off the top of my head, trade Turris, Bonino, Smith, Jarnkrok etc. Or anyone of the other top 3 D left which they decided against.

When there’s a will, there’s a way.
they ALL make less than Subban, all of them... same for the forwards for that matter

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Don’t cheapshot someone on your way out you piece of garbage. Good riddance.

I didn't follow his career closely but I thought you may have referring to this in particular, from 2006:

On Sunday morning, 11 weeks after he broke his neck and was nearly paralyzed, Cole practiced with his Carolina Hurricanes teammates for the first time. He was injured when he was driven headfirst into the boards by Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on March 4.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Anders Lee meeting with teams? Sounds like exactly the kind of guy that would fit seemlessly in our lineup. Gritty character guy with skill. Definitely should be top priority on the FA market. Only other guy that's worth giving a fat contract would be Myers, but we're already pretty deep at RD.

I do agree. Too bad we couldn't wait and extended Byron 3.4M a year instead of using this whole money as part of a generous offer to a guy like Lee, who would actually add something of value to this team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I have no clue what you're saying about Subban, I rarely read your posts. Even when you quote mine I have a hard time reading the whole reply.
Well you responded, to a post, by Ozy, where he was responding to mine and you were essentially adding another layer onto what he just posted to me....

So it's all good, you may not respond to my posts, but responding to my post, via another poster, sounds pretty much like the same thing lol

So....

But I mean OK

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I do agree. Too bad we couldn't wait and extended Byron 3.4M a year instead of using this whole money as part of a generous offer to a guy like Lee, who would actually add something of value to this team.

When Byron was extended, a guy like Lee was not an impending free agent.

And even with Byron at $3.4M, there is still room for Lee. And even if they sign Lee, they can still trade Byron.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You misread my post. I never compared PK to Trump. That would be asinine. I said their fans are sometimes similar in the sycophantic way they follow them.

I know exactly what you meant. Supporting a hero is not the same as supporting a villain. It was tremendously insulting to PK supporters and the man himself.

He rubs you the wrong way, fine. No need to insult those who don't agree with you.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Wait...hold up. You'd move Ekholm in a deal to get rid of Turris? :huh:
No wonder some of you guys are so confused about the Subban deal. Ekholm is hands down better than Subban and along with Josi is our best defenseman. The fact that he only makes 3.75M for the next three years is the real reason anybody associates Poile's name with the word genius.

Subban is a non-essential player for us, we want to both contend and add for our future. Our prospect pool is bottom five, maybe bottom three. Moving our best prospect or a first is out of the question.
So was P.K. your top 3 or top 4 D-man? You placed him behind Josi and Ekholm. Was he ahead of Ellis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad