Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Wait...hold up. You'd move Ekholm in a deal to get rid of Turris? :huh:
No wonder some of you guys are so confused about the Subban deal. Ekholm is hands down better than Subban and along with Josi is our best defenseman. The fact that he only makes 3.75M for the next three years is the real reason anybody associates Poile's name with the word genius.

Subban is a non-essential player for us, we want to both contend and add for our future. Our prospect pool is bottom five, maybe bottom three. Moving our best prospect or a first is out of the question.
I never got past the first interview when it came to NHL gm jobs.

Reactions: Tighthead

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How's this? I won't spread speculation if the other posters don't come here and try to sell us on some spin.

It'll never work. Someone is bound to sound the bugle. It's become a daily thing.

giphy.gif

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
So was P.K. your top 3 or top 4 D-man? You placed him behind Josi and Ekholm. Was he ahead of Ellis?

Honestly it changes nightly. Over the past three years there have been periods where all four have been the best. I'd say 2017-18, when he came back from injury Ellis was our best defenseman, this year, despite putting up a career high in points, he stunk. Just look up the Benn play from the playoffs, 'nuff said.

As of this moment I'd have Josi-Ekholm-Subban-Ellis. But that could change at the drop of a hat and I'm sure if you asked three other Pred fans you'd have three different answers.

We're spoiled with it, and that's another reason why having a Norris winner on our 2nd pairing making 9 million while we don't have a solid top 6 is embarrassing. Subban's underachieving play in the regular season gave us plenty of reason to move him out so we could focus on our offense.

That's why I doubt it was locker room issues, especially when Hartman just moved again and he actually did have legitimate rumors coming out of Nashville. We wanted cap space, needed to improve our offense and our prospect pool, find a spot for Fabbro and we still have the expansion draft looming ahead of us. The deal makes a lot of sense if you dig past the surface.

Subban and Ellis sucked the majority of this year but it was clear that something was off with Subban performance wise, Subban ended the year hot though, I think he had 6 points in the last 5 games of the season and was one of our better players in the playoffs, whether that's because of him getting healthy or just finding motivation that's New Jersey's gamble.

Ekholm's play in the post-season was highly undisciplined though, he was just taking stupid penalties at the worst times. Over all this team has been a mess since January.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Marleau also costs 6.25.

A team with plenty of Cap could take the 1st for Alzner at full cost and buy him out. The buyout cost would be roughly the same as Marleau, at 6.4, who is trending towards Alzner usefulness with his 16 goals on a talented Leafs team.

At 50% (2.3M), there's no way they'd give up a 1st, and suggesting Suzuki is just comical. The Jets got Mtl to take Mason's 4.1M and gave them a player from their 4th line.

Yep they gave up a 25 years old, 30 points big right winger who was their 16th overall pick in 2011.
Plus they gave up a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick.
That cost Molson $2.7M dollars who threw that amount in the garbage. And 2 years of Cap penalty.

If Marleau is bought out, won't save any cap hit….but it will actually cost Carolina only 833K for also 2 year.
That's a 1st and 7th round pick.

Now Alzner, you're asking a team to swallow 6 years of Cap penalty + asking the owners to throw $6.4M of real dollar in the garbage. Even if we eat 50% of his salary, it will still be 6 years and north of $3 millions dollars.

I don't think a 2nd round pick is enough to entice an owner to throw 3 millions dollars to the garbage.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
With regards to Suter read this article and tell me how anyone could blame the GM.

That article is Suter aplogizing but it also says he never misled them or commited to letting them match. It was not secret at the time that he was looking at Minny, and the Preds let him get to FA.

Poile doesn’t get a pass, just like Snow doesn’t get a pass for losing Tavares. And Jarmo is not a hero for blowing up that Franchise to win 4 playoff games.

Good asset management says neither team was a Cup favourite the year their star came to FA, rumours were strong their player was leaving, and they should have made a move. Hindsight is 20/20 but its the GM’s job to manage this.

I mean would we be OK with MB letting a star player in his prime hit FA and ultimatley be lost for nothing, in a year where we weren’t a contender? Lets say Domi was coming into FA next year, he wasn’t willing to sign an extension, rumours were he was going back to TO and we were 6th in the league. Borderline contender with some pretty big holes in the lineup. We ok losing that player for nothing or is our GM a fool for not having him inked and an understanding in place prior to FA?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
That article is Suter aplogizing but it also says he never misled them or commited to letting them match. It was not secret at the time that he was looking at Minny, and the Preds let him get to FA.

Poile doesn’t get a pass, just like Snow doesn’t get a pass for losing Tavares. And Jarmo is not a hero for blowing up that Franchise to win 4 playoff games.

Good asset management says neither team was a Cup favourite the year their star came to FA, rumours were strong their player was leaving, and they should have made a move. Hindsight is 20/20 but its the GM’s job to manage this.

I mean would we be OK with MB letting a star player in his prime hit FA and ultimatley be lost for nothing, in a year where we weren’t a contender? Lets say Domi was coming into FA next year, he wasn’t willing to sign an extension, rumours were he was going back to TO and we were 6th in the league. Borderline contender with some pretty big holes in the lineup. We ok losing that player for nothing or is our GM a fool for not having him inked and an understanding in place prior to FA?

You're also forgetting Suter was one of our best players and we were gearing up for a cup run. No team trades a 30 minute a night stalwart because he's going to be a UFA in July. It sucks we lost him but our team was better in the post-season with him that year than we would have been with a draft pick.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
You're also forgetting Suter was one of our best players and we were gearing up for a cup run. No team trades a 30 minute a night stalwart because he's going to be a UFA in July. It sucks we lost him but our team was better in the post-season with him that year than we would have been with a draft pick.

I hear you, your fans are pretty reasonable about this stuff. MTL fans would have lost their shit if we let a top 10 dman walk for nothing, im exchange for 10 playoff games. I know you had a good team that year but there was close to zero chance you were winning a cup with your forward group. Bottom line is you can’t let top players get to FA, and if they do keep them for a run, you better make sure you have a team that can at least make it to the cup. Not sure Legwand Fisher Gaustad down the middle is a cup winning C group.

All that said, hindsight IS 20/20 and Suter did the Preds dirty

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I hear you, your fans are pretty reasonable about this stuff. MTL fans would have lost their **** if we let a top 10 dman walk for nothing, im exchange for 10 playoff games. I know you had a good team that year but there was close to zero chance you were winning a cup with your forward group. Bottom line is you can’t let top players get to FA, and if they do keep them for a run, you better make sure you have a team that can at least make it to the cup. Not sure Legwand Fisher Gaustad down the middle is a cup winning C group.

All that said, hindsight IS 20/20 and Suter did the Preds dirty

You're looking at this from a Montreal fans' perspective though. 2-4 home games was the difference between our team being in the red to breaking even back then, that counts when we were three seasons away from the team moving. And we did raise a fuss, there are some of us who still boo Suter every time he touches the puck.

Reactions: japhi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad