HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
To me it was clear long ago that Marner is not going to lead them anywhere. Maybe he can be effective somewhere alongside a power forward but Toronto just doesn’t seem to be the place. I’d have moved him before his NMC kicked in.

I don’t know what you do with him. They’re stuck with the NMC so they can’t do anything unless he approves. I don’t see that happening. So now you… re-sign him? And for how much? He’s going to want another NMC on that deal too. Do you let him walk? Barring an improvement in post season play, he represents a real problem.
I was saying the same last summer. Who the hell lets a NMC kick in two seasons before UFA? The proof is really in the pudding now. He looks like a scared child out there STILL. One of the most cowardly players I have ever seen in my life. Who would actually take such a playoff dud like him on their team for that cap hit??? I have a feeling they just walk away from him after next season. I doubt he waives his NMC. I would let him walk for sure.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I

I was saying the same last summer. Who the hell lets a NMC kick in two seasons before UFA? The proof is really in the pudding now. He looks like a scared child out there STILL. One of the most cowardly players I have ever seen in my life. Who would actually take such a playoff dud like him on their team for that cap hit??? I have a feeling they just walk away from him after next season. I doubt he waives his NMC. I would let him walk for sure.
Brutal to just let him walk and get nothing back. But…

Reactions: Goalfield22

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Brutal to just let him walk and get nothing back. But…
At this point, his value has been hurt by his post-season record, which is not a small sample size anymore, and the fact that Matthews looks better next to Domi and Bertuzzi than him. That's a huge cap hit for a player like that. They would likely need to take something bad back to go along with the good, when they can just have a nice cap savings, which would likely be just as good if not better. It's Toronto not Calgary. Players will come knocking at UFA time.

Edit: If I am the GM and I want Tavares and Marner to waive pronto, I am telling Tavares he's being stripped of a letter (both C and A) and tell Marner he won't be playing with Matthews again and won't be resigned (meaning his numbers will suffer for UFA). See if that works.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
I

It's insane to me that they gave Matthews and Marner : superstar money, short-term contract leading them to UFA status and a NMC on the last years of the deal. They got nothing of value in return and gave them all the leverage. A complete disasterclass.​

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
At this point, his value has been hurt by his post-season record, which is not a small sample size anymore, and the fact that Matthews looks better next to Domi and Bertuzzi than him. That's a huge cap hit for a player like that. They would likely need to take something bad back to go along with the good, when they can just have a nice cap savings, which would likely be just as good if not better. It's Toronto not Calgary. Players will come knocking at UFA time.

Edit: If I am the GM and I want Tavares and Marner to waive pronto, I am telling Tavares he's being stripped of a letter (both C and A) and tell Marner he won't be playing with Matthews again and won't be resigned (meaning his numbers will suffer for UFA). See if that works.
Habs can pick up Marner off waivers, pay him 1.25M + playoffs performance bonuses and put him on the 4th line with RHP and Pezz. That screams success!

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Not to defend the Leafs but the cap stopped going up right when Tavares signed in 18-19 and then covid added another 4 year of flat cap. Cap was projected at 90M. (7M hit)

Also, paying 15% more for your players is now normalized in tax hell franchises. (12.5M hit) the deals signed in Dallas & Florida vs Toronto and Vancouver show this is true.

That's a ~20M handicap.

View attachment 859391
Imagine operating a business structure and signing future contracts on the assumption of a permanent year-over-year increase in your ability to spend.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Only TB/FLA and Carolina games tonight. Booooring! Lke f***... isn't Van and Peg supposed to be playing tonight? looks like they all are getting 2 nights off. NHL schedule sucks.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Why does the anthem singer in TB wear number #67 on her jersey, is it to mock the Leafs?!! Lol

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Keefe whining about Marchand is hilarious.

"There’s not one other player in this series that gets away with it but he does. It’s an art and he’s elite at it.”

Really, Randy? Have you been watching Domi this series?
Well there are guys getting away with penalties but no forward gets away with more than Marchand..

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Imagine operating a business structure and signing future contracts on the assumption of a permanent year-over-year increase in your ability to spend.
That's what happens always. People have to be given raises. Companies are assuming they will make more money to make the raises worthwhile.

My TV remote is going to take a beating
Yankees game NHL playoffs NFL draft
Flipping back and forth all over
Why watch the Yankees. They are scum and Oakland is trash.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Keefe whining about Marchand is hilarious.

"There’s not one other player in this series that gets away with it but he does. It’s an art and he’s elite at it.”

Really, Randy? Have you been watching Domi this series?
Keefe is a born loser. With him it as HC, the only thing the Leafs have done is blame external factors in the regular season and playoffs to explain their loses. The one where he said that Mackinnon should be in a Super NHL after a lose to the Avs said it all...even funnier when the Habs went and won against the same Avs a few days later.

It's never his system or the players not applying the system.
It's never a lack of effort from the players.
It's always something else that made the game "too hard" for them to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad