HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Just rewatched Habs eliminating leafs in 2021... realized the Suzuki and CC haven't had a sniff of playoffs since then. I don't know but if I am Suzuki I demand Hughes does something to make this a playoff team again. By next season. It's fun to beat the leafs.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Pretty amusing to see the Oilers built with an offence than can easily score on defensive teams, only for that to be rendered null by a defense that gets just as easily scored on.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Matthews was invisible in this game for the most part. He also helped create 2 Bruins goals. He knocked Samsonov's stick out of his hand then lost a board battle to Heinen for Bruins game winning goal.

On the 4th goal, Matthews commits an absolute brutal turnover at offensive blueline.

They couldn't get him away from McAvoy, who shut him down. Tavares - Marner are pretty useless.

They really need Nylander to come back to get some secondary scoring.
The Toronto columnist in the worse and worse Gazette said Matthews should get Selke votes.

A bullshit penalty call. You can't call that in the last minute unless it was going to create a scoring opportunity which it wasn't.
In Bettman’s nhl you call that on the Canadian team and ref more playoff games. I’m being snarky, I didn’t see it.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That's what I hate about NHL reffing. They call the marginal cheesy one's and let the more more blatant one's go. No consistency at all.
So much evening up, penalties have to be comparable no matter how much one team takes advantage. Well, unless you complain. Then you get ten consecutive penalties called against your team plus a long term bias.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

You aren't winning as a team when your coach has this loser whinny mindset.

He said the same thing against Tampa. The thing is on the play in question, Bertuzzi didn't need to engage with Marchand at all. He gave Marchand a small crosscheck, the rat gave it back then backed away. Bertuzzi followed him to engage some more and that's when Marchand used the can opener on him.

I thought refs were going to stop play due to both players being idiots, but they didn't. It was play on. I'm fine with that. Marchand is a smaller player. He's going to use his stick to protect himself against Bertuzzi. Byron did the same thing, and got a bit of free reign for it from refs.

Bertuzzi is an idiot for going after Marchand like he is.

Besides, Toronto had 5 PP opportunities and couldn't score on any of them. Plus, their pk sucks.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Pretty amusing to see the Oilers built with an offence than can easily score on defensive teams, only for that to be rendered null by a defense that gets just as easily scored on.
It's their putrid goaltending.
It exhausts me just watching I can imagine what it does to the guys on the bench.
The Oilers like last season can compete with that D but they can't compete with that goaltending.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just rewatched Habs eliminating leafs in 2021... realized the Suzuki and CC haven't had a sniff of playoffs since then. I don't know but if I am Suzuki I demand Hughes does something to make this a playoff team again. By next season. It's fun to beat the leafs.

In his exit interviews, Suzuki and others sorta put the message out that they want the playoffs. While I don’t think Hughes and Gorton will pull an Ottawa and make bold moves this summer and deviate from the plan, I also they aren’t going to sit on draft picks and assets that won’t be able to help for another 3-4 years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad