HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
My bruin hatred goes back to the 80s (when I was old enough to have a good memory of the games) neely sweeney bros, oates and bourque (both who i really like after the fact but hated playing against) miller I think was one of their tough guys. byers, linseman, burridge, crowder(grew up close to where I live and a goon like most of the guys from the windsor area) and of course milbury and galley.

I had to sit through leaf and dead things in my area in southern ontario, but they were in the other conference, norris division?? and I don't have a huge beef with either team in recent years. But those classic Adams division matchups still stick and we have so many playoff rounds against the bruins, Kovy in beast mode, Saku captain clutch. I don't know how you guys can cheer for that team. I get it, TSN/SN/CBC makes it easy to hate the leafs and I almost hope they go out game 7, but would be just as happy with them being swept by Florida in the second round...again.

One question does anyone think the nickname "The Captain" when they hear Steve Yzerman. I got into a discussion with a Wing fans and he said when you get a nickname known around the league as The Captain you are in a special class, Sakic never had that??? I feel Steve Y and Joe Sakic are pretty comparable for talents, but he asserts Yzerman is better than Jagr and messier and is in the same category as Crosby and Ovechkin for generational talent...Bud your bias might be showing.
I don't recall The Captain, unless its a doc emrick/channel 50(mickey redmond/ken daniels) thing he was hearing from regional broadcaster, or the more generic the captain as in whenever its the captain of any team. I asked if he knew about The General for markov and he had never heard it. Which was my point about Yzerman, just because your fans know it, doesn't mean its a league wide thing.
So for those of you not local to detroit, do you see yzerman as having a special moniker tied to his name and is he in class above jagr, sakic and messier? Personally I don't feel that to be true, but I hate the wings.

Reactions: Chili and Rapala

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
My bruin hatred goes back to the 80s (when I was old enough to have a good memory of the games) neely sweeney bros, oates and bourque (both who i really like after the fact but hated playing against) miller I think was one of their tough guys. byers, linseman, burridge, crowder(grew up close to where I live and a goon like most of the guys from the windsor area) and of course milbury and galley.

I had to sit through leaf and dead things in my area in southern ontario, but they were in the other conference, norris division?? and I don't have a huge beef with either team in recent years. But those classic Adams division matchups still stick and we have so many playoff rounds against the bruins, Kovy in beast mode, Saku captain clutch. I don't know how you guys can cheer for that team. I get it, TSN/SN/CBC makes it easy to hate the leafs and I almost hope they go out game 7, but would be just as happy with them being swept by Florida in the second round...again.

One question does anyone think the nickname "The Captain" when they hear Steve Yzerman. I got into a discussion with a Wing fans and he said when you get a nickname known around the league as The Captain you are in a special class, Sakic never had that??? I feel Steve Y and Joe Sakic are pretty comparable for talents, but he asserts Yzerman is better than Jagr and messier and is in the same category as Crosby and Ovechkin for generational talent...Bud your bias might be showing.
I don't recall The Captain, unless its a doc emrick/channel 50(mickey redmond/ken daniels) thing he was hearing from regional broadcaster, or the more generic the captain as in whenever its the captain of any team. I asked if he knew about The General for markov and he had never heard it. Which was my point about Yzerman, just because your fans know it, doesn't mean its a league wide thing.
So for those of you not local to detroit, do you see yzerman as having a special moniker tied to his name and is he in class above jagr, sakic and messier? Personally I don't feel that to be true, but I hate the wings.
I don't like Boston, I just hate Toronto on a whole different level. Ain't about liking Boston, it's about hating Toronto

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I liked Colorado Avalanche Ray Bourque particularly when he went back for the full season after he couldn't Hossa his way to a cup. :laugh:
Yeah same. Felt like he had earned it and of course he was away from that other team(and it pissed off all the local red wing fans) they had a huge rivalry with the wings in those days. Locally it was about on par with habs/bruins or philly/pitts. I still remember Edm/Stars rivalry with them playing each other a bunch in the playoffs. Was a bit of a fan of that team. I have the Sami Salo/Saku Koivu mcfarlane figures along with theo/thornton.

Reactions: Rapala and Tyson

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
This song was dedicated to Avs....honorable mention to Oilers:

Attachments

• too_cheap.mp4
    19.2 MB

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
To all Ladies Guys that had a few Drinks and hit on Ladies( Un-Profeffional, but as lomg as appoligize)l) But happens Correy Perry is a Great Playoff Guy! !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad