Speculation: out of the two Mattias's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2012
Janmark no doubt. Though he's mostly played wing this year, he's got the toolset to be a center and plays a pretty NA style of game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems like it's really close. I feel like both guys get a little slept on since they play so far away.

I doubt most of us really have all that much to base this on, to be honest. Both guys get pretty rave reviews from Hakan, which is always nice.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Depends on what you think their ceilings are, I mean Backman's ultimate ceiling is a minutes munching top pairing D-man. So I do lean towards him, but it is close.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

So my point was the ceilings. I take a first pairing guy over a second line guy. I said it was close and it depends on where you look at their ceilings. Backman is pretty ridiculous defensively. I also think Janmark's future is on the wing in the NHL not at center, but like I said it is all how each person looks at their potential ceilings. Have no fault one way or the other. I like both players quite a bit.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
I'm not exactly certain Janmark is all that good of a center, he has struggled there in AIK and can be quite weak on the puck. But I'm also a really big fan of Backman, so I may be reaching.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So my point was the ceilings. I take a first pairing guy over a second line guy. I said it was close and it depends on where you look at their ceilings. Backman is pretty ridiculous defensively. I also think Janmark's future is on the wing in the NHL not at center, but like I said it is all how each person looks at their potential ceilings. Have no fault one way or the other. I like both players quite a bit.

Well I interpret "scoring line" to mean either 1st or 2nd line. (top 6)

Still it's a toss-up for me because I think it's equally likely that Janmark becomes a 1st or 2nd line center, as it is that Backman becomes a 1st pairing guy.

The nice thing is both guys are over 6'0" and are pretty skilled. Also they are getting some experience against men. Will have to see when/if they come over to NA, and how they will do on smaller ice still.

Janmark physically seems raw still, but if he gets his strength/conditioning levels up, the sky's the limit IMO. A skilled center that is 6'1 and fast is a hell of a combo. May end up at wing, but with how bad we need a center, who knows.

I like Backman too, I just get concerned with how finesse he is, and how much he lacks physicality. Unless you are incredibly smart, and are surgical with your poke check a la Lidstrom, that is not something I like hearing about with defensive prospects.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It depends on what position Janmark projects at, centre or wing? If he's ultimately a centre I'd rather he reach his ceiling because that is a greater position of need in our prospect pool.

On the other hand, Backman is one of my favourite prospects. I love the qualities he brings to the game. His calmness and steadiness chief among them. He's Lidstrom like in that sense (I know people hate that comparison, not saying he'll be as good as Lidstrom) .

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Will be interesting to see if one or even both of them make the World Championships. I'm guessing Janmark will but since Bäckman still hasn't played any NT games this year (did last year) he won't be there. But they're both great young players and we'll have to wait until they come over to make a final judgement. Like we've seen with Pulkkinen & Järnkrok, some Europeans adapt faster to the NA game than others.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is Janmark now back at center position?

AIK sold two players (Esa Pirnes and Teemu Ramstedt) to Finnish elite league form their 1st line.

Too bad he has to carry the team now by himself. Pirnes and Ramstedt were 2nd and 3rd best forward scorers for AIK (Janmark the best).

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't see Janmark as a center in NA, so my choice is easily Backman.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What I want to really know is... Is either/both guys coming to GR next year?

I definitely hope they do. Need to learn how to play on NA ice and adjust to NA game.

Hopefully Janmark understands that his Red Wings fate hinges on him developing as a center and does his best to learn the position and stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad