Our system

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I've noticed this as well. The Habs D invariably cheat down toward the Bruins forward on the wall when the Bruins D gets the puck, and it really stifles the breakouts. They seem to do it more than most teams against the Bruins (I was amazed watching Phoenix the other night - their D would habitually back off, which payed right into the Bruins breakout). I have also thought of the high dump in the middle against the Habs - would only take a few times before the Habs D would think twice about cheating. Not the greatest puck possession strategy, though, but at this point try anything.

I hate the high dump up the middle as I feel it is so disruptive to the flow of the game, but against a fast team it really takes away any speed through the nuetral zone they would have on re-entry. They are forced to dump and chase and as long as we anticipate that we should be ok.

I understand why you would play an unaltered game plan against them in the regular season. You want them to expect one thing and then do another in the playoffs. I just honestly wonder if the coaching staff simply believes the issue to be a "compete" issue and not an issue with the system they are executing.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It was a combination of things that killed them. Not finishing when they had to was the big thing. They hit like 8 posts and Missed many open nets. I also think had the forwards started to step up on PK when he carried the puck. He would have faded away instead of having an amazing series. I felt the matchup should have been Lucic vs PK and the coach should have told him and the defense to make every open hit possible on the guy (even if it is late). If he wants to carry the puck, make him pay for it.

I also hated the way the team played the third man up high all series. No adjustment there when we needed goals. Clode needs to learn the answer to his offensive problems isn't always activating the D more. Sometimes you need to have the third man up high skate a lane to make the defenders move and open up space. I know he is worried about the Montreal skaters cheating and trying for a breakaway. However the reality is that cheating against an offensively aggressive team is going to end up in the back of your net more often that the back of the other teams net.

I like the idea of hitting Subban every chance you get but instead of just one forward designated (Lucic) we would probably need two.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
I like the idea of hitting Subban every chance you get but instead of just one forward designated (Lucic) we would probably need two.

Probably need two to keep up. It bums me out that Lucic didn't look very in shape in the last Behind the B.

It feels as though Chara's relationship with Pacioretty is a microcosm of the Bruins'-Habs situation. We are scared to get physical because it has burned us too many times with them. What we need on the team is a guy who can deliver good clean open-ice hits. We take too many dumb stick penalties in the name of intensity and agitation. I'd love a guy with Gudas or Byfuglien's knack for non-punishable yet devastating hits. In theory Lucic should be that guy, but I think he has it in his head that he is a skill guy who needs to make his bread and butter with his stick. He is that...sort of..but more than that he needs to bring back the complete package.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Excellent post. I would be interested in hearing your ideas as to why we continue to do poorly against Montreal and is there anything we can do about it with the group we have.

feels like the B`s use the Box + 4 against the Habs with everyone chasing the puck carrier:laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

in theory I agree, problem is, as much as this hurts to say, PK almost always has his head up and is exceptionally aware that he is a hunted man and if we look back at his career thus far, rarily has he been clocked by anyone, Bruin or otherwise + he`ll consistently does that little spin move to avoid contact

Half the issue is when we attack in the past, we haven`t had enough speed up front to have a consistent pursuit of the puck so dumping it in to PK`s corner is almost giving the puck right back to the Habs, I`d rather a chip and chase than a full blown dump in, force PK to make the quick decision rather than give him that second to make a play

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

Not for nothing, but they have tried this before. The first issue with it is he's incredibly hard to hit. The second is that our guys actually have trouble towing the line between hitting and drawing penalties.
The safest time to do it is obviously when you send the puck in their zone and demand that he retrieve it. So I guess you could dump in and consistently dump to his side of the ice. At least there you're not risking being out of position if you miss the hit.

Frankly last time we played them in the playoffs, if we had taken less penalties and prevented their cherry pick play, AND not hit our 13 posts, we would have won. They scored 3 big goals on that stupid set cherry pick, and we weren't ready for it. You remove even 2 of those goals and we put some of our endless chances, and we take that series.

Now this year, I dunno. I dunno how you beat Price, he's that good. I guess screens and more screens.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
For as long as I can remember (back to the early 60's) its seems the Canadiens owned the Bruins. Usually they were just plain better, but even when Boston seemed to have the edge Montreal would find a way. Someone must have sold their soul to the Devil long ago.

Even with Bobby we couldn't beat them. Only Cam seemed to be completely immune to the Habs curse.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Not to derail a good thread, but:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/bruins-sweep-canadiens-out-of-playoffs-1.841140 (we swept them)

And then obviously the cup year, we beat them. And last year was 7.

I wouldn't give up hope, B's fans.
lol, no one is forgetting sweeping the Habs, or beating them in the Cup year, but the fact remains we have played them 34 times in the playoffs, and we are 9-25...

...2 of those series wins came in 1929 and 1943, then came 45 years of losing. Then came Neely, and since then we won 5 with him as a player, and 2 with him in the front office.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
This reminded me of how important and effective shot blocking is in our system.
Another reason to miss Boychuk. He was always tops on the team with Seidenberg.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
great thread. haven't seen one of these in a while now. Always cool to read about the system and refresh on exactly how it is played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad