Our rivarly with the Kings

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I heard the chants of phoenix sucks at the kings game, not sure if they were due to any rivalry or (more likely) just stating the facts at this point in time.

I think Kings fans do that to every team. The biggest rivalry for the Kings is the Sharks and Ducks. The Sharks/Kings rivalry will get some more fuel on the fire with them (likely) meeting up in the first round. I agree with everyone who said the Coyotes need to meet up with the Kings a few more times in the playoffs before there is a rivalry.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I think Kings fans do that to every team. The biggest rivalry for the Kings is the Sharks and Ducks. The Sharks/Kings rivalry will get some more fuel on the fire with them (likely) meeting up in the first round. I agree with everyone who said the Coyotes need to meet up with the Kings a few more times in the playoffs before there is a rivalry.

Except despite the Kings playing across the way from the Ducks, the Ducks(a team you claim is a bigger rival to LA than the Coyotes) and Kings have never faced each other in the playoffs.

I guess at the end of the day, the idea of what it takes to make a rivalry or not is more subjective to individual than anything else.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I heard the chants of phoenix sucks at the kings game, not sure if they were due to any rivalry or (more likely) just stating the facts at this point in time.

I think Kings fans do that to every team. ...

I'm pretty sure that has been going on with the Lakers/Suns for decades - there's a pretty long playoff history there going back at least to the Showtime era. Kind of their response to our 'Beat LA' (although everyone says that).

What I wonder is, what will they say next year when we're 'Arizona'? :D

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Except despite the Kings playing across the way from the Ducks, the Ducks(a team you claim is a bigger rival to LA than the Coyotes) and Kings have never faced each other in the playoffs.

They have a intra-market rivalry.

I went to a Kings game at Staples Center and they were showing scores from around the league and when it showed that the Ducks lost (against the Coyotes) there was a lot of cheering. They didn't cheer for any other win or loss.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

I guess at the end of the day, the idea of what it takes to make a rivalry or not is more subjective to individual than anything else.

1 playoff series does not spark a rivalry. This team needs to be a consistent challenge for the Kings, that's just not the case.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
1 playoff series does not spark a rivalry.

Try telling that to Detroit and Colorado Fans. :laugh: Granted, the 1st ever playoff meeting between those 2 teams was far more heated than what the Coyotes have ever experienced vs the Kings but all it takes is one playoff series in order to get a rivalry of some degree going.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Looks like the best that can be done is this kind of talk is agree to disagree. Regardless of what ones take of where the Coyotes stand vs the Kings there is no question that the majority from both fan bases hate the opposition with a passion. Also, the majority from both fan bases have come to hate each other more since that playoff match-up in 2012.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Kings fan here. My favorite games the Kings play are against the Coyotes and the Blues. The games are sure to have fireworks, one captain doing something to upset the other team's fans, penalties. :hit: Very entertaining games. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad