Our rivarly with the Kings

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
What gives? Since the 2012 Playoffs, we have only seen some nasty stuff between these 2 teams and not a real takeoff like we have seen in such rivalries as Detroit and Colorado. Granted, having more than 1 playoff meeting is the key to getting the rivalry up there in legendary status but not enough is being done in the regular season to keep the hate and the fighting going between these 2 teams.

Am I missing something or is it the Coyotes could be flowing into a different direction on whom to have a nasty rivalry with?

Last edited:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Honestly, every time we play the Kings the media always asks our players about the "rivalry" and the players usually shrug it off.

We weren't especially competitive with them during the playoff series and we haven't faced them again since. Nor do LA fans think we have a rivalry.

Personally I think this rivalry was more hyped by the media and our real rivalry was with Detroit

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
We never really seemed to have a rivalry with Detroit either to be honest. There's no doubt that there was some bad blood between the Kings and Coyotes in the first regular season game or two after WCF, but that's not the case anymore.

It's kind of hard to build a rivalry when one team stops making the playoffs.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
In all honesty, we just haven't been good enough for long enough to be considered a threat to any other team's long term success. Hence, no rivalries.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Honestly, every time we play the Kings the media always asks our players about the "rivalry" and the players usually shrug it off.

We weren't especially competitive with them during the playoff series and we haven't faced them again since. Nor do LA fans think we have a rivalry.

Personally I think this rivalry was more hyped by the media and our real rivalry was with Detroit

Lots of LA Fans see the Coyotes as a big rival but divided over who is their #1 rival. Some see the Coyotes as their biggest rival, some see the Canucks or Ducks, or Sharks as their biggest rival.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
I think there is something brewing, but no full scale rivalry. To some extent I think because fans and media in Phoenix want a rivalry, they have tried to create one with both Detroit and LA. In both cases it has felt somewhat like a one way street. This team just needs to be around and competitive for longer and it will come naturally. That being said the LA one has potential.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
:shakehead
When's the last time you saw Dave Tippett, Shane Doan, Keith Yandle or Martin Hanzal really fired up and angry at ANYTHING in the media. Go and watch the interviews from the 2012 playoffs ... mostly hushed tones and quiet, professionalism that borders on apathy. That's how this team rolls.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I think there is something brewing, but no full scale rivalry. To some extent I think because fans and media in Phoenix want a rivalry, they have tried to create one with both Detroit and LA. In both cases it has felt somewhat like a one way street. This team just needs to be around and competitive for longer and it will come naturally. That being said the LA one has potential.

When it comes to rivalries, the majority of Coyotes Fans have a much bigger rival with the other fans of certain teams like the Kings than whoever the Coyotes are facing. It should be the other way around, but it's not.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I bet if you posted a poll more people would say there is no rivalry then one existing.

You can request to have a poll on it, but at the same time no poll here is going to reflect what all Coyotes Fans say, including those who aren't registered here. I know from speaking to many Coyotes Fans outside of the internet as well as Kings Fans that say there is a rivalry of some sort that is not living up to its potential simple because the Coyotes aren't up to par to where the Kings are now and at this rate it's going to fizzle out completely.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
You can request to have a poll on it, but at the same time no poll here is going to reflect what all Coyotes Fans say, including those who aren't registered here. I know from speaking to many Coyotes Fans outside of the internet as well as Kings Fans that say there is a rivalry of some sort that is not living up to its potential simple because the Coyotes aren't up to par to where the Kings are now and at this rate it's going to fizzle out completely.

Think it already has but it could spark back up again.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I heard the chants of phoenix sucks at the kings game, not sure if they were due to any rivalry or (more likely) just stating the facts at this point in time.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Phx hates LA but a ton of teams are LAs rival. You can only have one rival and we haven’t gotten to that point yet at a team level. Maybe Dallas one day?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I heard the chants of phoenix sucks at the kings game, not sure if they were due to any rivalry or (more likely) just stating the facts at this point in time.

Because the players had the audacity to have a problem with the Brown on Rozsival hit in the playoffs, Kings "fans" now refer to the Coyotes as whiners and babies.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County

Thats true and the Doan sucks chant last year...so could be on to something. Just have to think the Ducks are higher up. Before 2012...never saw a Kings fan in the stadium.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Because the players had the audacity to have a problem with the Brown on Rozsival hit in the playoffs, Kings "fans" now refer to the Coyotes as whiners and babies.

Yet those same fans are whining about many things the Coyotes have done as well such as that love tap that Mike Smith gave to Dustin Brown where Brown also got hit with an embellishment penalty to cancel out the slashing call to Smith. Then there is the complaining about Mike Smith being a diver even though Dustin Brown by far is a much worse offender in that department that Smith, especially with the kneeing as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad