Salary Cap: Our RFA's for 15/16

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Looking at our RFA's for next year and seeing Ellis finally sign (woohoo) I started looking at how it may look for next season. We will have 4 guys up for new contracts that are RFA's.

1) Bourque: He is a solid player that most of us fans are more than likely more indifferent about. If he is kept it will likely be at a lower end cap hit. No reason to start talking contract now for a player like this. Need to see how he does in the new system before anything is offered.

2) Wilson: I'm not sure I would even consider approaching him before the end of the season to extend but personally this is a big year for Wilson when it comes to pay. He either steps it up a notch and gets a decent contact or I can see us signing him to a 2-3 year contract with a slight pay raise. Again not a player you would look to extend right now as we simply do not know how he will play in the new system. If he starts out on fire that could change.

3) Jarnkrok: Very small sample size to go by at this point in time but from what we have seen it may be a good idea to get with his agent before he does to well and see what kind of extension he could be had at. I really like this kid and I think he would be worth a longer term deal now instead of a bridge contract. I wouldn't talk however until at least the all-star break as you need to see him play this year.

4) Smith: I personally would start talking to his agent now and see what it would take to lock him up long term. I know he has only had one good season but the last thing we want is to wait it out and see him score 30 goals this season and his agent thinking he can get 7+ a year like Johansen is asking for. I would hope Poile considers extending him during the season over waiting up to the last minute.

The fact is we will only have 6 forwards under contract after this season ends. Four more player are from the list above as RFA's. I would hate to get to next offseason without at least 2 of these guys locked up. What would you guys offer up to these players and when would you start working towards doing it?

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Looking at our RFA's for next year and seeing Ellis finally sign (woohoo) I started looking at how it may look for next season. We will have 4 guys up for new contracts that are RFA's.

1) Bourque: He is a solid player that most of us fans are more than likely more indifferent about. If he is kept it will likely be at a lower end cap hit. No reason to start talking contract now for a player like this. Need to see how he does in the new system before anything is offered.

2) Wilson: I'm not sure I would even consider approaching him before the end of the season to extend but personally this is a big year for Wilson when it comes to pay. He either steps it up a notch and gets a decent contact or I can see us signing him to a 2-3 year contract with a slight pay raise. Again not a player you would look to extend right now as we simply do not know how he will play in the new system. If he starts out on fire that could change.

3) Jarnkrok: Very small sample size to go by at this point in time but from what we have seen it may be a good idea to get with his agent before he does to well and see what kind of extension he could be had at. I really like this kid and I think he would be worth a longer term deal now instead of a bridge contract. I wouldn't talk however until at least the all-star break as you need to see him play this year.

4) Smith: I personally would start talking to his agent now and see what it would take to lock him up long term. I know he has only had one good season but the last thing we want is to wait it out and see him score 30 goals this season and his agent thinking he can get 7+ a year like Johansen is asking for. I would hope Poile considers extending him during the season over waiting up to the last minute.

The fact is we will only have 6 forwards under contract after this season ends. Four more player are from the list above as RFA's. I would hate to get to next offseason without at least 2 of these guys locked up. What would you guys offer up to these players and when would you start working towards doing it?

Smith and Wilson are the ones really playing for big money. But if, as we assume, Fisher retires, thats 4.5M freed up.

if Smith scores 30+ Poile is probably gonna have to pay 6M or more to lock him up long term.

Wilson could conceivably play himself up to a 5M deal for 4-5 years or play himself down to a year to year status

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Smith and Wilson are the ones really playing for big money. But if, as we assume, Fisher retires, thats 4.5M freed up.

if Smith scores 30+ Poile is probably gonna have to pay 6M or more to lock him up long term.

Wilson could conceivably play himself up to a 5M deal for 4-5 years or play himself down to a year to year status

I don't think Smith ill be a 6 mil player. 4.5-5 if I had to guess. He would have to jump to ppg to get 6

even with a god year Wilson won't get more than

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I guess I am less worried about cap space and more worried about have a Ryan Johansen type issue. I would hope that Poile would start talking extension before we even get to the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad