Line Combos: Our PP Woes

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I feel like when we have good puck movement, and zone control at times and then fowler randomly shoots it into a shinguard.... or getz does something dumb... they seem to get impatient and force things

I wouldnt mind trying something like

Ritchie steel rakell
Fowler terry
Yeah that happens way too much a weak ass snap shot from the point that goes no where but blocked when all the PKers are tired.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
9.4% success rate which is 4th worst in the NHL

NHL.com - Stats

When you look at that and see how much teams are scoring on the power play and see us it makes me :cry:

Imagine the Ducks potential record if they scored a few more PP goals here and there. They lost a few games by one goal. Could have at least picked up a point in those games.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Everyone stands around

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ill just start with the positives ive seen

-Our zone entries are much better this year on the powerplay ,
-I think weve actually had control for extended period times for a lot of our powerplays this year

What id like to see

-Little bit more crowd in front... Ritchie/comtois or whoever is out there should be causing havoc in front of the net... we seem fairly passive.
- Team seems to get impatient after 10-15s of passing... and force shots into shinpads… while obviously you want to get shots, at that point the Defense is likely tired and more shooting/passing lanes will open up the longer you hold on to the puck... so a little more patience/better decision making.

- More movement would be nice, guys like Terry, fowler, steel, rakell should be moving around and swapping positions throughout... instead of just standing in the formation and passing around the world... someone should attack with the puck.... when a player attacks the defense shifts and if you can keep control or make pass off that... the defense is out of position and you should have more and better options.

Im not down on the PP as much as some of you, as its a new coaching staff and a lot of new players.... It takes time.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I’ve ALWAYS noticed that when the ducks have extended home stands their power play numbers drastically improve on that home stand ( been this way for years) practice makes perfect , also, when we win the initial opening draw of a pp, our % of scoring drastically goes up ( I think that was more the case in previous years though , when we were dreadful at entering the zone with possession and would often dump and chase) this year we have done ok entering zone with speed and possession

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
I’ve ALWAYS noticed that when the ducks have extended home stands their power play numbers drastically improve on that home stand ( been this way for years) practice makes perfect , also, when we win the initial opening draw of a pp, our % of scoring drastically goes up ( I think that was more the case in previous years though , when we were dreadful at entering the zone with possession and would often dump and chase) this year we have done ok entering zone with speed and possession
That's assuming the referees actually want to blow the whistle and give them PP opportunities. As we saw against the Jets, that's not always the case.

VAN/CHI/EDM/DET/SJ still left on this homestand. Would not be surprised if they get 2 PPs or less in each of those, especially if they take an early lead.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That's assuming the referees actually want to blow the whistle and give them PP opportunities. As we saw against the Jets, that's not always the case.

VAN/CHI/EDM/DET/SJ still left on this homestand. Would not be surprised if they get 2 PPs or less in each of those, especially if they take an early lead.
If they get a PP goal it will be vs SJ where Jones lets one in that 99% of NHL goalies would stop from going in.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I actually think that even if Jones doesn't put the offense together that he could be a really good utility player like Cogs was. It'll take some work, though.
I actually would really like to see that if he becomes a utility Cogs type player. If Dallas buys out Cogs after this season they could even sign him to a 1 year 900k deal to mentor Jones.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
You wanna win more games.. This needs immediate addressing.. Another game lost because we have inept PP... This should be priority...

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Then they need to call up Sprong, he would probably get a PP goal his first game up & then just shelter him on the 4th line playing against other teams 4th lines.
I wouldn't put stock into how he looks in the SD trainwreck because everyone looks bad there, Mahura after being called up had 3 points in a game.

Sprong will float & have moments where he just watches a goal be scored, they could try to minimize that by sheltering him & using him on the PP until he starts to show more defensively then you move him up the 3rd line.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Watching them on the PP its like they are afraid to shoot & when they do shoot its like its a 'panic shot' & the other team knows it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad