Speculation: Our Powerplay

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I'd put this team's powerplay in the top 5 worst powerplays in the history of this franchise. What are the biggest problems and how can we solve these issues? That's why I made this thread. Can any shed some light on this subject?

Personally, I think there are MANY problems with this powerplay. I haven't seen it look threatening all season. I don't buy this get shots at the goalie and look for rebounds nonsense. "Oh if you take that approach every game, pucks will start going in eventually". Bullcrap. That is not the only way to score in this league.

Here are a bunch of grips I have with this god awful PP:

1. We seldom get the puck into the zone cleanly.
2. These players do not know when to dump & chase and when to carry it in. I've seen us dump in on goalies who tend stop it behind the net (I.e. the Oilers and Dubnyk). I've seen worthless dump-in's when we don't have the legs to get to the puck or the puck carrier's line-mates don't know which corner the puck is going to be shot into.
3. The effort level on the powerplay is always horrendous. The difference between our 5-on-5 battle-level and our man advantage battle-level is laughable.
4. Too much puck control for no reason. The purpose of holding onto the puck is to buy time before setting up a play, like a one-timer from the slot or a quick passing play resulting a shot/rebound opportunity. We never see any set plays. It's always just players running around clueless of what the other will do. No one knows anyone's tendencies. We have too many guys who can't one-time the puck. No one with killer instinct. No one creates opportunities. Seems like aggressive penalty kills destroy any chance of his scoring, because no one has any puck poise. I'd say Campbell, Huberdeau and Barkov have shown the best puck poise, but even they cough it up a lot.
5. Lastly, I'd just like to throw this one in there: If I were in the NHL defending against the FLA powerplay, I'd use my TEETH to block a Mike Weaver slapshot or a Tom Gilbert slapshot.

Rant over.

Gordonx11

#CatsAreComing
Jan 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
As Billy says the reason the powerplay seems to kill our momentum is the work rate is not there as it is on 5v5 play. You should be working twice as hard on the powerplay to match the level of the penalty killers.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
this team is horrible at carrying the puck

get gomez on the PP, idk where u put him, but he's the best in teh NHL on entering the zone

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I'm just hoping our opponents play super disciplined from here on out.

Teams can play us aggressively up high because they know that we don't create anything down low. No creativity is a killer.

-ghoste

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
We lack the ability to get open shots on net. That's a combination of skill and coaching. We also for whatever reason, don't match the PK work effort. I think we have enough talent to not be horrible on the PP.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
we need to win a face-off CLEANLY, when it gets out of the zone its nearly impossible for us to get it back in. i also don't believe in the dump and chase for a power play. we also have no players who can 1-time it, barkov and huberdeau don't. thats why i want gudbranson out there as well as bjugstad. gilbert can even get a nice 1-timer off, and thats 1 thing ill give him tho its rare when he uses it, like once maybe twice a game. even flash has been trying 1timers lately. kopecky and upshall can. id put out bjugstad with huberdeau and upshall, campbell and gudbranson, that way you got one from each side (bjugstad/upshall) and one at the point. then barkov with flash and boyes, kulikov and gilbert (kulikov and gilbert can both get a 1timer off).

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
It has to be on the coaches. And I'm not sure it will get any better soon. Under Horacheck, the Rampage had the worst PP in the AHL converting just 5 of 55 chances, including 0 for everything on the road.

Enter Tom Rowe, and while the PP still isn't a world beater, they have improved to about 15% success rate and have a PP goal in 6 of the 10 games he's been coach.

Same team, vastly different results.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
The main two problems with our PP from what I've noticed is puck retrieval and a lack of movement. Both come down to structure and effort in my opinion. It's on both the players and the coaches. It honestly looks like the guys just give it to Campbell and expect him to carry it in and set it up on his own while everyone else stands around. I absolutely hate dumping and chasing on the PP, but apparently that's what this team is going with, which is problematic because puck retrieval and board battles are almost always lost for some reason. You have an extra guy out there, you should be winning battles 9/10 times...makes no sense.

In the unlikely event that we do get control, it's way too stagnant, passes are forced and shots don't get through or miss the net almost every time...it's amateur-ish.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Regarding the dump and chase, only Bjugs really has the wheels and size to retrieve it.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Seems like the coaching staff wants to keep Huby and Bjugstad together. We've seen them in quite a few situations together now. They need to get tighter. Begin to understand other's tendencies.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Regarding the dump and chase, only Bjugs really has the wheels and size to retrieve it.

I don't buy this. Most players in the league (especially those getting PP time) should have no problem properly executing a dump and chase. Forwards have momentum crossing the blue line and defenseman have to turn around which is a huge disadvantage. Not rocket science.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
Matthias never plays the PP so how would you know he has no clue.

I'm not saying he's the answer.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Mattias is very expendable. What's funny is the right now, Bjugs is the player we hoped Mattias would develop into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad