Our Penalty Kill is disgusting

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
You would have to break open quite a few outhouses to find a ****pile as huge as this penalty kill.

#coaching

Last edited:

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
The PK is going to start costing games. Against the rags, you wont score goals at will with that guy in net and that defense. Which means the PK becomes an integral
Part of the game, and we have no clue how to kill them. Playoff teams dont operate at 43%.

So either it gets fixed or we wont do jack **** this season. We just barely beat a horribad carolina team and even they had their way with us on the PK.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The diamond pattern they shifted to away from the soft box worked better.
They wanted to be less aggressive but it was too passive, so it had to be revamped so the puck carrier is forced to make faster decisions.
Hopefully that helps. Our best PKer is the goalie, but Grabs return will help a lot more than is apparent. We have the personnel, it is a mtter of coaching the right style, confidence, and execution

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
I think you're all overreacting here. It's literally been two games and we're missing an elite penalty killing forward in Grabner and an excellent defenseman in de Haan.

Thank you! Wish there was a 1 week waiting period for the post to be approved before it went up lol. Breathe...

That would be true if we had a good PK last season. The PK was awful last year and looks to be the same this year. A majority of the PK on ice personal is unchanged from last year

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The PK is going to start costing games. Against the rags, you wont score goals at will with that guy in net and that defense. Which means the PK becomes an integral
Part of the game, and we have no clue how to kill them. Playoff teams dont operate at 43%.

So either it gets fixed or we wont do jack **** this season. We just barely beat a horribad carolina team and even they had their way with us on the PK.

While I agree that the PK doesn't look good at all so far this season, how is it costing this team games when the team is 2-0?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
While I agree that the PK doesn't look good at all so far this season, how is it costing this team games when the team is 2-0?

We also played Carolina. And we won last night by one goal. We could have easily lost the game. Against a better team we would have lost.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Agreed, but with an emphasis on the word "yet". I don't even blame the players either, I blame the coaching staff.

Absolutely. They're too passive in pursuit of the puck and are very soft on clears. I also think they place a bit too much emphasis on breaking out of the zone on the PK instead of just clearing the zone. They tend to force the play and it results in turnovers. They need to simplify. If the opportunity to breakout is there, then take it, but don't force it.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Possibly. But with a 2-0 record, it hasn't cost them anything yet.

It's early and a Jeff Skinnerless Carolina Hurricane team (especially with Staal banged up) is like a late 90's NYI squad.

The Penalty (non)kill is going to be a HUGE issue if it doesnt get turned around quick. WHY? The Islanders still get officiated harshly. They haven't earned their breaks yet I suppose. For example, the first two games, is there any doubt which team should have had more minor penalties called against them? The Carolina Hurricanes 1) Chased the puck most of the time and were outclassed and 2)The Carolina Hurricanes are dirty as ****!.....

Yet through two games Carolina had 10 minor penalties called on them, and the Islanders had 11. Not exactly the best officiating or in line with what should have been called.

So if the Islanders are going to spend a lot of time short handed (I won't say penalty kill anymore UNTIL THEY ACTUALLY START "KILLING" SOME) then they need to fix a beyond broken man down unit.

Oh, and Cronnin aint the guy for it.... his record says so. How he was hired is just infuriating (cost and nepotism).

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Positioning has looked pretty bad, and it's hard to tell what system they're using. It appears to be a diamond formation, but too often it broke down into a chaotic mess. It is a little concerning, no doubt.

I do think part of the issue here though is that Carolina appeared to be using an overload PP setup, which I don't feel like you see too often anymore (most teams use some variation of the umbrella). I'm guessing this wasn't practiced for, as you have to change the positioning of a standard diamond pretty significantly to defend against it effectively, and probably should be using a box setup instead. I have to agree that this is largely on the coaching in not being prepared or being able to make the necessary adjustments.

The good thing though, is that this after these games, this should be an obvious area to focus on improving, and it hasn't hurt us yet.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
The thing i dont understand is what formation are we trying to achieve out there on the PK? The obvious is either a Box or a Diamond but from i've seen it looks more like a 1-1-2 which is something i have never seen. If the concept is to effectively cut the zone in half i get the premise, not really a bad idea but whatever it is....we arent executing it. Not panicking just yet but def. concerned.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Why would you expect anything different? It's the same coach.

While Snow did add some pieces, he missed out on the move they needed most.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Think when Grabs and CdH comes back it will help, but honestly they can't take dumb penalties and put themselves in bad spots. If they play good 5v5 without taking penalties we won't have to worry about a bad PK.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
That would be true if we had a good PK last season. The PK was awful last year and looks to be the same this year. A majority of the PK on ice personal is unchanged from last year

Considering a Pk is only 4-6 players...1 player can make a big impact. Once again we are missing 2/6 of those players and there is one new player that can make a big difference.

I think you mean personnel as well.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY

Except the most important part of the PK has been improved tremendously. Isles goalies were awful last seen, and even more awful while on the PK. Halak makes the PK a whole lot better all by himself.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Except the most important part of the PK has been improved tremendously. Isles goalies were awful last seen, and even more awful while on the PK. Halak makes the PK a whole lot better all by himself.

Yet here their PK stands at barely over 50%... against the Carolina Hurricanes and the unstoppable force of manliness that is Tlusty.

No, it is a giant flaming pile of buffalo briquets. Something needs to be fixed on the quick side. We don't get to play Cam Ward and the one line wonders for a while. We will face real teams shortly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad