Our Penalty Kill is disgusting

camper*

Yet here their PK stands at barely over 50%... against the Carolina Hurricanes and the unstoppable force of manliness that is Tlusty.

No, it is a giant flaming pile of buffalo briquets. Something needs to be fixed on the quick side. We don't get to play Cam Ward and the one line wonders for a while. We will face real teams shortly.

Smallish pk'ers are a thing of the past….no hit pk'ing is also a thing of the past…good teams will hit you ... at least the threat of being hit is always on the puck handlers mind then…..no one is saying you go looking for the hit?….but if the puck is up for grabs on the high walls …they gotta know they will get buried….when you know your going to get hit you don't handle the puck the same. Too much emphases being put on face off personal..if you loose it your really behind the 8 ball.(size) The best PK in the last few years when it had large personal worked…the problem was the goaltending could not stop a beach ball…recognizing such and not making wholesale knee-jerk changes is everything…feet that move faster than the brain is just that…..chase game!

The Pk right now is like having a bad Lawyer….your going to pay the price yet your mouth piece is useless? Pretending doesn't cut it.

Theres no diff between that and pretend tough guys…you know this Pointy….when the shat hits the fan….most won't defend themselves never mind a mate?…this will surface it ugly head again..why?…..you gotta have it in your genes…..otherwise its like putting on make up..Its for now…and can be rubbed off.
Pretty good blend of personal right now…lets see who disappears when the rough stuff starts…..i bet you know as well as I. Matty Marts…destroying Stall..taking the hit then taking care of business is BIG BOY HOCKEY….the right amount of push back when needed…game changing. As I said "the right amount of push back" not some crazy mad man looking for retribution?….Someone who knows how to apply the hammer in relation to the size of spike needing pounding.

Lastly…I see the 2 of the three first liners are not overstaying their shifts to date…the new add is a problem…"doesn't know when to get off the ice"….lines are broken up due to his extended lally gagging…..it near cost the Isles twice back checking last game…….Either get it done in your 40 sec or get off the ice…resting on the wing is a problem watch for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Yet here their PK stands at barely over 50%... against the Carolina Hurricanes and the unstoppable force of manliness that is Tlusty.

No, it is a giant flaming pile of buffalo briquets. Something needs to be fixed on the quick side. We don't get to play Cam Ward and the one line wonders for a while. We will face real teams shortly.

And Josh Bailey is on pace for 41 goals. Stats at this point in the season don't mean a whole lot.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
I noticed this the other night at the game...Brian Strait is not a very good defenseman. Having both he AND Griff out on a PK was bad. I was a Strait fan, but he wasnt very good at the end of the season last year and hes not starting off very well. CdH coming back(hopefully very soon) will help the PK a lot, as long as Strait is the one sitting.
Rather see something like this:
Hamonic-CdH
Boychuk-Leddy
Hickey-Griff

PK pairings(if not in the box)
Hamonic-CdH
Boychuk-Hickey

Hickey, in all honesty, is one of the smartest(hockey-wise) players on this team. If he was even just 6'2, other teams would love to have him.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This what happens when your coach is an idiot & doesn't practice the PK during training camp.

Seriously, how is this guy a coach of a professional hockey team?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Smallish pk'ers are a thing of the past….no hit pk'ing is also a thing of the past…good teams will hit you ... at least the threat of being hit is always on the puck handlers mind then…..no one is saying you go looking for the hit?….but if the puck is up for grabs on the high walls …they gotta know they will get buried….when you know your going to get hit you don't handle the puck the same. Too much emphases being put on face off personal..if you loose it your really behind the 8 ball.(size) The best PK in the last few years when it had large personal worked…the problem was the goaltending could not stop a beach ball…recognizing such and not making wholesale knee-jerk changes is everything…feet that move faster than the brain is just that…..chase game!

The Pk right now is like having a bad Lawyer….your going to pay the price yet your mouth piece is useless? Pretending doesn't cut it.

Theres no diff between that and pretend tough guys…you know this Pointy….when the shat hits the fan….most won't defend themselves never mind a mate?…this will surface it ugly head again..why?…..you gotta have it in your genes…..otherwise its like putting on make up..Its for now…and can be rubbed off.
Pretty good blend of personal right now…lets see who disappears when the rough stuff starts…..i bet you know as well as I. Matty Marts…destroying Stall..taking the hit then taking care of business is BIG BOY HOCKEY….the right amount of push back when needed…game changing. As I said "the right amount of push back" not some crazy mad man looking for retribution?….Someone who knows how to apply the hammer in relation to the size of spike needing pounding.

Lastly…I see the 2 of the three first liners are not overstaying their shifts to date…the new add is a problem…"doesn't know when to get off the ice"….lines are broken up due to his extended lally gagging…..it near cost the Isles twice back checking last game…….Either get it done in your 40 sec or get off the ice…resting on the wing is a problem watch for it.

Live by the wimp, die by the wimp. Many point towards Chicago when reciting why you don't need brawn and can do it all with skill and flowers. They tend to forget the relative skill level that runs deep throughout their lines. 3 Franchise players... saying you can easily reproduce that is like saying you can just go get 5 Mike Bossy's and win every time with a deep pass or two and a smoking wrist shot. Chicago is an exception. LA... LA is the rule.

That little guy on the first line has an egg timer on him. By the third time Tavares or Okposo take a penalty sticking up for him he will get sent down (assuming the coaching staff aren't told to keep him there at all costs). He also bounces off anything bigger than a bread box because he is smaller than a bread box, and like you said, he gets stuck out there. But then again the 1st line got stuck out there for two goals against if memory serves. I know they were stuck out too long for one.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This what happens when your coach is an idiot & doesn't practice the PK during training camp.

Seriously, how is this guy a coach of a professional hockey team?

We've been over this in the training camp thread. No teams primarily practice special teams until the roster is set. The Islanders practiced it for 3 or 4 days leading up to the season just like every other team in the NHL. This farce flying around that teams practice the special teams while setting the roster is really bad misinformation.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
Interesting point I want to bring up from last night. I was forced to listen to the Rangers feed of the game, and they made a very good point that I think is very important to take in to consideration. They said something along the lines of:

"The Islanders PK is not very aggressive. They like to play defensively, and that means you have to take shots."

Thinking back on it. It's a good point. The Isles do sit back a lot and let the puck come to them. They really need to push harder and pressure more.

MaryChristine*

interesting point i want to bring up from last night. I was forced to listen to the rangers feed of the game, and they made a very good point that i think is very important to take in to consideration. They said something along the lines of:

"the islanders pk is not very aggressive. They like to play defensively, and that means you have to take shots."

thinking back on it. It's a good point. The isles do sit back a lot and let the puck come to them. They really need to push harder and pressure more.

grabnerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The points were too aggressive last year and they were beat constantly from quick puck movement. The defense might have to go quicker, but the points shouldn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad